Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Does anyone with a 2014 GT have Blind Spot Detection?

Something odd happened when the CA put my order in the BMW system. Somehow, Driver Assistance Plus was added at $1300 MSRP instead of $1900. My sticker does not show Active Blind SPot Detection and my 5 GT was built without it. I am wondering if anyone has a 2014 GT that has it. If so, when was your car made?

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 11-03-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-03-2013, 05:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 535Xi GT, 2010 X5 D
Do I have the same thing as you? See the image.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131026_145912.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	405613  
Old 11-03-2013, 07:17 PM

Yours has it. It's on the window sticker and DAP MSRP is $1900. Thanks.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:52 AM

Is your 2014 GT M-Sport with Drivers Assistance Plus missing Blind Spot Detection?

I changed the thread title. According to my CA, getting M-Sport eliminates Active Blind Spot Detection from the Driver's Assistance Plus package. That's not indicated in the May 19 ordering or pricing guides.

Anyone get a MY 2014 with ZDB and get Active Blind Spot Detection 5AG?

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 11-04-2013 at 06:54 AM. Reason: changed title
Old 11-04-2013, 09:54 AM
There is no spoon

Mein Auto: 2010 F07 550i, 2009 B8 A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I changed the thread title. According to my CA, getting M-Sport eliminates Active Blind Spot Detection from the Driver's Assistance Plus package. That's not indicated in the May 19 ordering or pricing guides.

Anyone get a MY 2014 with ZDB and get Active Blind Spot Detection 5AG?
Besides making no sense it does not, as you pointed out, match what is on any of the guides or the build your own page...hope they didn't mess up your order and are trying the cya tactic.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Hard to believe that choosing M-Sport would negate Blind Spot. Our 2013 is an M and we have Blind Spot as well as all other parts of driver assist package.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: 550
I m not sure who much I would have paid for blind spot detection but I have to say that is quite nice. Lane assist is pretty worthless if you ask me. The steering wheel vibration is so subtle that you can barely tell (and I am not sure that I would want it to be any more pronounced). I still haven't had a chance to test high beam assist....
2010 550 GT Black Sapphire, Active Ventilated Seats, Convenience, Cold Weather, Driver Assistance, Dynamic Handling, Luxury Rear Seating, Premium Sound, Sport, Rear-View Camera, Ceramic Controls, Ski Bag, Side View Camera, Sirius and Triple3_O Coded.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:05 PM

I didn't notice it on the visualizer but the MSRP of DAP goes down $600 when you have it selected and change the Line to MSport. The German Konfigurator does not allow Blind Spot on the GT MSport either.
Old 11-04-2013, 05:32 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
I didn't notice it on the visualizer but the MSRP of DAP goes down $600 when you have it selected and change the Line to MSport. The German Konfigurator does not allow Blind Spot on the GT MSport either.
Could it be different mirrors? Not sure where the sensor is.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:16 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Could it be different mirrors? Not sure where the sensor is.
Sensors are in the rear bumper behind the rear wheels so I can't think of an engineering reason for not having active blind spot with MSport option. The mirror maybe, but that would not be due to anything but somebody wanting different aesthetics which is simply a different exterior housing. I can't get over the lack of logic, it just doesn't make sense...

Last edited by daders; 11-04-2013 at 06:16 PM. Reason: Very poor english
Old 11-04-2013, 06:40 PM

Maybe they figure the M will be going so fast, there'd be little chance of there being anyone there!
Old 11-04-2013, 06:46 PM
There is no spoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadnashuanh View Post
Maybe they figure the M will be going so fast, there'd be little chance of there being anyone there!
Lol, I'd be lying if that wasnt my first reaction too!
Old 11-04-2013, 08:25 PM

I ran into a few M drivers at the Performance Center when I picked up my car for the second time (picked it up in Munich), and the most rude, self-centered people there had bought M's. I'm sure this isn't by any means anywhere close to 100%, but the individual in question made the whole group wait since he couldn't get to the bus on time as requested, and held up the whole group multiple times while he sat on the phone, ignoring what was going on around him.

Anyway, BMW chooses to make options available or not in some weird combinations, at least in my mind! Some people love, and some hate sunroofs. I personally could live without one primarily because it limits which vehicles I actually fit in well enough to consider buying. BMW is not alone in this. In Germany (I haven't looked recently it may have changed) the sunroof is optional (at something like 1750 Euros plus tax) and it sucks up over two inches in headroom that I could really use. But, people there can almost pick options on a line-by-line basis, but option groups end up cheaper if you want them. The issue is, though, that the factory is easily capable of doing this level of customization, but they won't offer that to us in the USA, even if you were willing to order it and wait. I think, as a result, they lose some sales. I'd fit comfortably in lots more cars if they didn't have sunroofs. It's a pain not having much choice.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT

jad, here in Canada option choices are even more limited as there are fewer groups that each have a farily long list of items and hence a heftier price tag . There are a few individual ones available (like heated rear seats) but we have nowhere near the same choices as US buyers (I believe all GTs sold in canada have x-drive) but with Canada having about one-tenth the population of the US that is not surprising.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-05-2013, 12:04 PM

Since the factory is fully capable of doing it nearly any way the customer wants (as seen on the option list in Germany), it is entirely a marketing decision. It does make it easier for the dealers - with fewer choices, the customers don't agonize over it, or go search for just the right combination somewhere else.

I still don't see this as an issue if the customer is willing to order it and wait, though.

I'm toying with an i3, and it's the same issue...if you want anything other than the base vehicle, you have to buy a sunroof with it. Very annoying, and may be a deal killer, for me at least.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:35 PM

The issue is that BMWUSA.COM description and the BMW ordering guide does not call out that Blind Spot is deleted when M-Sport is added to the GT. The price goes down but the description doesn't change. No warning is given.
Old 11-05-2013, 02:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT

This post is for another thread as I saved a draft in it and it opened in this thread which I did not realize. I tried to delete it with no success so I could post it in the "I parked my car beside....." thread. My apologies.

rogue, yes there is a height differential but that is not a 'win' to me. It is one of the reasons I went to the GT after starting out looking for a tricked-out X3 after 5 years in a Santa Fe. My CA showed me the value proposition of the GT and the executive-driven one one he had and that I ultimately bought. If the 'critics' can't see the blend of luxury and versatility that I value so much and only harp on appearance then it speaks to their shallow superficiality.

Rant complete.........

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Last edited by Fish23; 11-05-2013 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 03:26 PM

Mein Auto: Sienna
We removed Driver Assistance package due to lack of Active Blind Spot Detection.

2012 750iAH Mineral White, Oyster Nappa with Fineline Matte Wood trim. Cold, Driver Assistance, Luxury, Instrument panel leather, Sdadowline and BMW Apps. 4.6sec 0-60, World's Fastest Street-Legal Hybrid.

Retired -
2011 X5 50i M Sport Alpine White