Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-22-2004, 11:11 AM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Exclamation 545i Auto Trans - 2004 (FL): Jolt/Jerk/Clunk

Anyone experience any of these?

BMW and dealer service facility state that these conditions are normal:

From a speed of 30 mph (speed offered as example), as the gas pedal is released, to bring the vehicle to a stop or lower speed, when coasting, and/or while braking, as the vehicle begins to slow, the driver experiences a jerk/jolt forward a number times as the vehicle shifts/lurches down from gear to gear (the sensation seems to be caused by an abrupt increase, and then decrease in speed; at least that is what it if feels like, and sometimes it is associated with a clunking sound) as it comes to a final stop. Thus, as the transmission shifts downward from gear to gear so the passenger is correspondingly jerked.

From a complete stop, when placed in reverse, and after releasing the brake pedal, without depressing the gas pedal, the vehicle suddenly moves in a backward motion and reaches a speed in excess of 5 miles per hour.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-22-2004, 03:24 PM
CSBM5 CSBM5 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Carolina
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 270
Mein Auto: 2001 M5
It sounds like it is getting too much idle throttle opening or something similar. I wouldn't think this is "normal" -- just drove an E60 Step on Friday, and I noticed nothing similar to your description. Go test drive a car on the lot at your dealer to compare.
__________________
Current stable:
2011 M3 Silverstone/Silverstone 6MT
2001 M5 Lemans Blue/Silverstone
2006 330i ZSP 6MT
2001 Audi S4 6MT
1996 Volvo 850R wagon
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-23-2004, 12:55 AM
MarcusSDCA's Avatar
MarcusSDCA MarcusSDCA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego/Point Loma
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,529
Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
My 545 (steptronic) is not nearly as smooth (at low speeds) as my 330 was. It seems to lurch in a strange way in parking lots....and I don't think it's caused by my foot twitching. This transmission doesn't seem as user friendly to me.....at least not yet. (2300 miles)
The shifts are very quirky on up or down grades. Hmmm...I need to take more mental notes next time I notice this.
__________________
REALTOR / Broker--CRS,GRI "Selling San Diego One Yard at a Time Since 1986"
http://www.markhoppehomes.com
2014 328d M Sport

Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-23-2004, 01:56 AM
katmai katmai is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: California
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: e320
That's not normal. My 545i doesn't do that.

Are you driving on DS mode or the regular D mode? DS is more agressive in down shifting gears. It's also possible that the steptronic program is still trying to adjust to your driving style. Check with your service advisor to see if there are any software updates for the steptronic.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-23-2004, 10:28 AM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by katmai
That's not normal. My 545i doesn't do that.

Are you driving on DS mode or the regular D mode? DS is more agressive in down shifting gears. It's also possible that the steptronic program is still trying to adjust to your driving style. Check with your service advisor to see if there are any software updates for the steptronic.
Thanks for your input.

I am driving in regular D mode when this occurs.

The three times vehicle brought to dealer's service
facility the tech, and then shop foreman (who test drove
twice), stated it was "normal," and never wrote it up or took
it in for service.

If this is "normal," then I'm a ballet dancer
with the Russian National Ballet Company. Guess what?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-23-2004, 10:34 AM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS545
My 545 (steptronic) is not nearly as smooth (at low speeds) as my 330 was. It seems to lurch in a strange way in parking lots....and I don't think it's caused by my foot twitching. This transmission doesn't seem as user friendly to me.....at least not yet. (2300 miles)
The shifts are very quirky on up or down grades. Hmmm...I need to take more mental notes next time I notice this.
What was your production date?
Mine was April 1, 2004.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-23-2004, 10:36 AM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS545
My 545 (steptronic) is not nearly as smooth (at low speeds) as my 330 was. It seems to lurch in a strange way in parking lots....and I don't think it's caused by my foot twitching. This transmission doesn't seem as user friendly to me.....at least not yet. (2300 miles)
The shifts are very quirky on up or down grades. Hmmm...I need to take more mental notes next time I notice this.
Does it happen all the time, or intermittently?

Do you notice that as you slow down, and vehicle
shifts from - let's say third to second, or second to first -
that the tach increases and you pick up speed for
a bit, before you decelerate further, which might explain
why you feel the lurch?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-23-2004, 01:30 PM
ttoppins ttoppins is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Mine Too.

My 2004 530 has the same behavior. I have taken it in twice but so far the only action by the dealership has been lowering the transmission fluid level. That did help but the shifting is definitely more jerky than my 2002 530.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-25-2004, 11:40 AM
MarcusSDCA's Avatar
MarcusSDCA MarcusSDCA is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego/Point Loma
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 3,529
Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDisappoint
What was your production date?
Mine was April 1, 2004.
Early March 2004 build date. By the way...I don't think the jerkiness is related to shifting in the tranny...I think it feels more like short bursts of acceleration at low (parking lot) speeds and only happens in a cold start. The car does 2 or 3 "leaps" when I'm leaving a parking lot at say, 5mph.
__________________
REALTOR / Broker--CRS,GRI "Selling San Diego One Yard at a Time Since 1986"
http://www.markhoppehomes.com
2014 328d M Sport


Last edited by MarcusSDCA; 08-25-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-26-2004, 06:09 PM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
545i Auto Trans - 2004 (FL): Jolt/Jerk/Clunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARCUS545
Early March 2004 build date. By the way...I don't think the jerkiness is related to shifting in the tranny...I think it feels more like short bursts of acceleration at low (parking lot) speeds and only happens in a cold start. The car does 2 or 3 "leaps" when I'm leaving a parking lot at say, 5mph.
Do you think that such "leaps" are normal
when you consider your other car driving experiences?

Why do you think the
"leaps" only happen when the car is cold?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-26-2004, 08:37 PM
Cruzer2 Cruzer2 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 545i 2004
Exclamation My 545i Auto has the same problem

I am having the same problem. My car was part of the 4,000 car recall to replace a bad ECM module. The dealer thought the bad ECM was causing the shifting problem and the new computer would solve the issue. The new ECM didn't do anything and it is shifting really badly.

Two main problems:

COLD STARTS - when I do a cold start, the engine hangs in 1st then jumps into second when it finally shifts. Upshifts are very rough and revs are higher than after car has warmed up. A couple of times I had blue smoke coming out of the tailpipe after starting.

NORMAL DRIVING - car upshifts roughly and at strange intervals. When you hit 40+ MPH and let up on the gas to coast, the car downshifts at 40 causing significant engine drag. If you keep your foot off the gas, the car downshifts again at 30. If you start to brake as you approach a stopsign, the car upshifts as it slows past 20 MPH resulting in a lurch forward that makes you feel like you are going to plow into the car in front of you.

I've taken in the car again today and they are going to check it out again. If they can't do anything about it, I am going to file for Lemon status. I only have 725 miles on it and they've all been really bad. I had a 2001 BMW 530i SP before this, so I do know my BMWs and that this is not right. I was hoping it was just the computer "learning" my driving pattern, but I drove a friend's 545i auto and it was totally different. The shift pattern almost seems backwards.

Anybody have an idea of what this could be?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-28-2004, 05:59 AM
bmwguynj bmwguynj is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 783
Mein Auto: 2008 550i Sport
Edmunds Article about this

Link to the Edmunds Article that may mention what you are talking about***********:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/...ticleId=102584

My brother is experiencing some jolts in first gear for his 545, so he's checking with this BMW Dealer.

Hope this helps.


Paragraph FROM EDMUNDS:
The driving experience ranged from irritating to exhilarating. Irritation came quickly in low-speed traffic, as the drivetrain responded unpredictably to accelerator pedal input. Too little pressure and the sedan would move out sluggishly. Too much and it would surge forth, leaving the driver to rein it in before it snuggled up to an SUV's rear bumper. The area between these extremes often eluded our editors and made the car a pain to drive at rush hour. In addition, one editor noted that the transmission tended to hang onto first gear too long in these situations — eliciting more thrust than you really want when slogging from stoplight to stoplight. Another observed that when slowing in traffic, the transmission always seemed to be shuffling through the gears, often supplementing the driver's braking efforts with more engine braking than desired.
__________________
2012 Carbon Black BMW 550i M-Sport
2009 Black MB GL550 (Wife's Vehicle)
2012 Black Toyota Highlander Limited
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-28-2004, 10:39 AM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
545i Auto Trans - 2004 (FL): Jolt/Jerk/Clunk

Thx greatly bmwguynj!!
Edmunds provides another objective
report on what BMW considers "normal."


Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguynj
Link to the Edmunds Article that may mention what you are talking about***********:

http://www.edmunds.com/new/2004/bmw/...ticleId=102584

My brother is experiencing some jolts in first gear for his 545, so he's checking with this BMW Dealer.

Hope this helps.


Paragraph FROM EDMUNDS:
The driving experience ranged from irritating to exhilarating. Irritation came quickly in low-speed traffic, as the drivetrain responded unpredictably to accelerator pedal input. Too little pressure and the sedan would move out sluggishly. Too much and it would surge forth, leaving the driver to rein it in before it snuggled up to an SUV's rear bumper. The area between these extremes often eluded our editors and made the car a pain to drive at rush hour. In addition, one editor noted that the transmission tended to hang onto first gear too long in these situations — eliciting more thrust than you really want when slogging from stoplight to stoplight. Another observed that when slowing in traffic, the transmission always seemed to be shuffling through the gears, often supplementing the driver's braking efforts with more engine braking than desired.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-30-2004, 08:59 AM
Cruzer2 Cruzer2 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 545i 2004
Exclamation Still think my 545ia's not right

Thanks for the feedback. The article was right on. I didn't realize that BMW had changed it's transmission in this way. It's nice to know it's normal, but I think my situation is abnormal in that the effect on my car is significant. It is in the shop right now, so we'll see. It really drives poorly and I don't like it. Anyone else's 545ia shake while in gear and a stop? Please let me know.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-30-2004, 09:05 AM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,930
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Sounds like bad tranny s/w to me. Anyone for a good old manual??

Chris
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-30-2004, 11:32 AM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer2
Thanks for the feedback. The article was right on. I didn't realize that BMW had changed it's transmission in this way. It's nice to know it's normal, but I think my situation is abnormal in that the effect on my car is significant. It is in the shop right now, so we'll see. It really drives poorly and I don't like it. Anyone else's 545ia shake while in gear and a stop? Please let me know.

Thanks
Sounds like a shudder.
Not normal.
Check your private mail.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Cruzer2 Cruzer2 is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: 545i 2004
Check your private mail. Thanks for the help.

Last edited by Cruzer2; 08-30-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-31-2004, 08:11 PM
ttoppins ttoppins is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 2004 530i
Tranny problems

Guys, I think we have something here. This doesn't sound like an isolated problem. My 2004 E60 530 is having the same issues. The shifting is jerky, unpredictable, erratic, and downright scary sometimes. I mainly notice it going from first to second but I've had several instances in other gears. At times it seems like it can't decide what gear to be in but other times it seems like the tranny is slipping. I'm going to take it in yet again.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-01-2004, 01:20 PM
jeffnin's Avatar
jeffnin jeffnin is online now
BMW Addict
Location: Phoenix, AZ
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 457
Mein Auto: 13 740i/12 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttoppins
Guys, I think we have something here. This doesn't sound like an isolated problem. My 2004 E60 530 is having the same issues. The shifting is jerky, unpredictable, erratic, and downright scary sometimes. I mainly notice it going from first to second but I've had several instances in other gears. At times it seems like it can't decide what gear to be in but other times it seems like the tranny is slipping. I'm going to take it in yet again.
Add my name to the list, as well. I thought that it was just the "learning" function of the auto tranny, but like others have commented, it's nothing like my old E39's auto. After reading Edmunds and a similar finding in Motor Trend, I'm going to take it in to the dealer to see what they can find. While mine doesn't seem to lurch as much as others are commenting, I definitely have trouble driving smoothly when slowing for stop sign and/or accelerating from 30mph. No problems when reversing, though. Not impressed so far with the new tranny compared to the other 5 auto BMW's that I've owned.
__________________
2013 740i Black Sapphire/Lt Saddle Napa/Dark Ash
2012 328i Luxury, Jet Black/Saddle Brown (ED 8/9/12) (PCD 10/16/12)
2012 X5 35i Sport Activity, Black Sapphire/Black (Sold)
2009 335i Jet Black/Oyster/Dark Burl (Sold)
2007 X5 Black Sapphire/Beige (Sold)
2007 335iC Alpine White/Red (ED 11/15/06) (Sold)
2004 545ia Jet Black/Black (Retired)
2001 525ia Jet Black/Sand (Retired)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-03-2004, 02:25 PM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
August 2004 Motor Trend

August 2004 Motor Trend

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/luxu...ts/index3.html

Executive Privilege Road Test: 2004 BMW 545i vs. 2005 Cadillac STS

Variability is no problem, though, when it comes to BMW's 4.4-liter V-8. The Valvetronic engine deals with the airflow restriction of the throttle plate by eliminating it, instead controlling the amount of air ingested by the cylinders by varying valve lift electronically. Stepless variable valve timing for intake and exhaust camshafts and a fully variable intake manifold contribute to a broad, fat torque curve. Output is up, too, 35 horsepower over the previous, non-Valvetronic 4.4-liter engine. This new V-8 feels more powerful than its 325-horse rating might suggest. Part of that credit goes to the 545i's ZF six-speed automatic transmission; first gear is particularly short and gives the engine tremendous torque multiplication for launching off the line at a stoplight. There never seems to be any shortage of gear ratios for the transmission to apply to a given driving situation.

And there in lies another annoyance. One editor noted, "In brisk (but not wide-open throttle) acceleration, the engine seems to lunge from gear to gear, like a chained Rottweiler." Following a line of cars in traffic can prove difficult as well. Under semihard braking, the transmission aggressively forces downshifts, slowing the car unnaturally even after the driver has lifted off the brake pedal as the traffic begins to move again. To reduce the excessive retardation, the driver must step on the accelerator, initiating another forward lunge. Concluded one writer, "BMW needs to work on its throttle tip-in calibration and transmission phasing." Added another, "It's so hard to be smooth, especially at low speeds. Starting and stopping often come off abrupt, no matter how careful you are with the controls."
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-03-2004, 04:14 PM
heezyo2o heezyo2o is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: So Cali
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 124
Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatDisappoint
August 2004 Motor Trend

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/luxu...ts/index3.html

Executive Privilege Road Test: 2004 BMW 545i vs. 2005 Cadillac STS

Variability is no problem, though, when it comes to BMW's 4.4-liter V-8. The Valvetronic engine deals with the airflow restriction of the throttle plate by eliminating it, instead controlling the amount of air ingested by the cylinders by varying valve lift electronically. Stepless variable valve timing for intake and exhaust camshafts and a fully variable intake manifold contribute to a broad, fat torque curve. Output is up, too, 35 horsepower over the previous, non-Valvetronic 4.4-liter engine. This new V-8 feels more powerful than its 325-horse rating might suggest. Part of that credit goes to the 545i's ZF six-speed automatic transmission; first gear is particularly short and gives the engine tremendous torque multiplication for launching off the line at a stoplight. There never seems to be any shortage of gear ratios for the transmission to apply to a given driving situation.

And there in lies another annoyance. One editor noted, "In brisk (but not wide-open throttle) acceleration, the engine seems to lunge from gear to gear, like a chained Rottweiler." Following a line of cars in traffic can prove difficult as well. Under semihard braking, the transmission aggressively forces downshifts, slowing the car unnaturally even after the driver has lifted off the brake pedal as the traffic begins to move again. To reduce the excessive retardation, the driver must step on the accelerator, initiating another forward lunge. Concluded one writer, "BMW needs to work on its throttle tip-in calibration and transmission phasing." Added another, "It's so hard to be smooth, especially at low speeds. Starting and stopping often come off abrupt, no matter how careful you are with the controls."
I'm guessing you didn't test drive the car, huh? If your so unhappy with the car, just trade it in. I really don't see what your waiting for.

And when getting a new car, remember, torque is your enemy. Also reading the car mags before you get a new car might help you out too.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-03-2004, 07:46 PM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Live and learn

Quote:
Originally Posted by heezy545i
Also reading the car mags before you get a new car might help you out too.
=================


Heez, thank you for your helpful post.
I took your advice.
I read another car article, see it below.
Think there's an accident that BMW tied with Audi as number 9
per JD Powers initial quality survey:

109 problems for every 100 vehicles in first 90 days!

================

CEO of BMW calls quality a focal point

Panke says No. 9 rank is a concern
September 1, 2004


Clarification: The article in Tuesday's Business section about BMW Chief Executive Officer Helmut Panke's call for improved quality of his company's vehicles had paragraphs out of order. The story appears correctly today.

BY SARAH A. WEBSTER
FREE PRESS BUSINESS WRITER

Due to a production error, one portion of the Tuesday Business section-front article "BMW CEO calls quality a focal point of concern" was in the wrong place.

German automaker BMW AG is expecting record revenues and earnings this year, but CEO Helmut Panke on Monday lamented the namesake brand's ranking in a popular survey of initial vehicle quality, where the label that heralds itself as the "Ultimate driving machine" ranks ninth.

Panke spoke to the Automotive Press Association at the Detroit Athletic Club about the automaker's vision of conquering more of the global market, which includes expanding U.S. business.


Last year, BMW sold 277,047 cars and trucks in the United States, or an increase of 7.9 percent while the overall light-vehicle market was down 1 percent. That was the most vehicles the German automaker has ever sold in the United States, representing one-fourth of its overall sales.


And so far this year, BMW has sold 167,977 vehicles, an increase of 3.5 percent based mainly on the performance of the new BMW SUVs, such as the X3 and X5.


Continuing that upward momentum, Panke said, will require the automaker to remain committed to BMW's brand identity, expand its presence in the booming Chinese market and improve quality.


"We clearly want to be in the top three," Panke said of the quality rankings.


Other luxury makers also have been dissatisfied with their rankings in J.D. Power and Associates' initial quality survey, which ranks customer satisfaction after 90 days of ownership. BMW tied with Audi for ninth place in the latest survey, with 109 problems per 100 vehicles.


While that was ahead of the industry average of 119 problems per 100 vehicles, BMW's German competitor Mercedes-Benz ranked eighth with 106 problems per 100 vehicles.


BMW, which also ranked a lower-than-desired 12th place for long-term durability among consumers, tends to offer more highly technical electronic and software features in its vehicles than other brands. While Panke acknowledged those are added quality risks, he said he could not blame that for the performance.


"There is no excuse," he said. "This is not what our understanding of a premium position is . . . This is one of the focus points for the period ahead of us. We have to improve our quality in order to live up to our premium positioning."


He noted that BMW helped create Autosar, a cooperative organization that works with the European automakers, General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. and Toyota Motor Corp. to set technological standards that will help improve quality and costs.


Despite its position in the quality rankings, Panke noted that BMW customers remain loyal.


The J.D. Power survey that ranks customers' delight with the design, content, layout and performance of their vehicles usually has BMW near the top. In the last such survey, BMW ranked second to Porsche and ahead of Asian quality leaders like Toyota, Honda and Hyundai.


Panke said that's because other brands and especially BMW's main competitors, which he views as Mercedes and Lexus, don't offer the excitement and control that BMW does. Sticking to that identity, and having the courage to say no to products that might sell but don't fit the mold, will keep BMW on course, he said.


"We will never build a boring BMW," Panke said.


In a recent report, Merrill Lynch analyst John Casesa said BMW is at the high end of major automakers for spending on capital expenditures and research and development. Casesa said BMW, aided by high margins and its premium revenue position, spends about 15 percent of its revenue on capital expenditures and research and development -- about 6 percent more than the industry average.


"The European (brands) -- BMW, Porsche and Volkswagen -- continue to offer attractive, highly valued and differentiated products for the world's richest auto market," Casesa told the Associated Press. "Each company's tactics vary, but all three are likely to continue to expand U.S. product offerings."


Sometime between 2006 and 2007, Panke said, BMW will introduce a compact 1-series vehicle in the United States, although it will not be the 1-series hatchback sold in Europe. He would not say whether it would be a coupe, sedan or wagon.


A redesign of the popular 3-series is also in the offing, but Panke would not say when a replacement for the 7-year-old product will be revealed. BMW designs, especially of the 7-series, have been controversial, almost avant-garde, and Panke said redesigning a car as important as the 3-series is an "emotional event."


Panke said he was unconcerned that BMW's truck sales -- like those in the general market -- are rising, while car sales are falling. BMW car sales dropped 7.7 percent for the year through July, in spite of popular new models, such as the 5-series and 6-series. Meanwhile, truck sales are up 72 percent during the same period.


He views the trend toward trucks over cars "bottoming out" sometime soon and blurring as crossovers that take the blend the shape and function of cars and trucks become more popular.


Panke was noncommittal about whether BMW's growth in the U.S. market would bring added production capacity to its plant in Spartanburg, S.C., or even a new plant.


Production in Spartanburg has grown from about 50,000 vehicles in 1994 to 160,000 last year. About 100,000 of the X5 SUVs and Z4 roadsters built at the plant, which employs about 4,700 workers, are exported to Europe and Asia, making BMW an export leader in the United States, Panke said.


For now, Panke said BMW is focused on expanding in China, with a new plant. The plant in northeastern Shenyang, built with partner Brilliance China Automotive Holdings Ltd., opened in May and aims to produce 30,000 vehicles a year.


Contact SARAH A. WEBSTER at 313-222-5394 or swebster@freepress.com. The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-09-2004, 02:22 PM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Funny steptronic gear changes ??

ANOTHER, THIS ONE IN AUSTRALIA:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71198


cockatoo8
Registered User
Location: Australia Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 3
Mein auto:530I

Funny steptronic gear changes ??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have recently started driving my new 530I and I'm almost always in steptronic mode and enjoying it.

However, coming from driving a manual car I find some of the the gear changes a bit funny like I am riding the clutch badly (if it were a manual). This is most noticable in changing from second to third gear, where if I put my foot even just slightly down after the change the tacho revs up and then revs down and then revs up again, over a period of about 2-3 seconds. Acceleration seems hampered. It seems better if I keep the accelerator still.

Is this normal or is there possible something wrong with my car ? Is there a new driving style I should adopt ? I will ask my dealer but I'd like to hear other opinions. Sometimes I think I am driving an Airbus plane, which has computer control, and I have heard the most common common from pilots in the voice recordings is "what is it doing now ?".

Cocktoo8
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-14-2004, 07:10 AM
roobix roobix is offline
Registered User
Location: Queens, NY
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: 2004 545
Exclamation Feeling Major Problems

2 weeks ago i started to feel funny driving conditions on my 2004 545. To my surprise...i searched around on the net...and found you have very simiral problems. My car off the start will rev up to 3000 rpms...but i feel no punch...as if there is a horsepower thief in my car. I'll let go of the gas pedal...and the RPMs will just stay up there for another second. Its a very wierd feeling. I'm just not getting the "throw you back in your seat feeling" I would get when i first got the car. (now have 4400 miles on it).
Some other members posted it might be a throttle issue. Well this car throttle-less. It has a new Valvtronic system similar to the 745.(same engine). Neverthe less...I'm not happy.
Am working with my service dept. to pinpoint the problem ...if any.
One more thing...read a review ...here is the portion of it:

Follow-Up Test: 2004 BMW 545i
Performance at a Cost

......The driving experience ranged from irritating to exhilarating. Irritation came quickly in low-speed traffic, as the drivetrain responded unpredictably to accelerator pedal input. Too little pressure and the sedan would move out sluggishly. Too much and it would surge forth, leaving the driver to rein it in before it snuggled up to an SUV's rear bumper. The area between these extremes often eluded our editors and made the car a pain to drive at rush hour. In addition, one editor noted that the transmission tended to hang onto first gear too long in these situations — eliciting more thrust than you really want when slogging from stoplight to stoplight. Another observed that when slowing in traffic, the transmission always seemed to be shuffling through the gears, often supplementing the driver's braking efforts with more engine braking than desired........




Will post more.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-14-2004, 04:36 PM
GreatDisappoint GreatDisappoint is offline
Registered User
Location: FL
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 33
Mein Auto: 2004 BMWi Auto Trans
Check your email

Check your email
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms