Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 535i
Engine stutter between 3k - 5k rpm

I have an 2010 automatic 535i, that I've had for less than 6 months. I don't know if hpfp or fuel njectors have even been replaced. I'm not getting any cel or other warning lights.

But when accelerating hard, I'm noticing a definite surge or stutter above 3k rpm that will continue up to almost 5k. It feels almost like when someone lets the clutch out wrong on a manual, though a little more subtle.

In my 2 previous e90's with the 35 engine, I got limp mode, check engine light, and the more typical issues around the hpfp that I'm not getting today with my e60.

Anyone else experienced this? Do you think it's engine or transmission?
Advertisement
Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
Hard to say, do you have any diagnostic tools that can read shadow code? (I assume you don't have a check-engine-light on the cockpit when this happens but your car may log faults).

Wild guesses,
You may have leak in one of the vacuum lines to wastegate or loose clamps on the plumbing to intercooler etc.
low trans fluid due to mechtaronic sleeve leak
Old 05-24-2013, 12:36 PM

I don't have any diagnostic tools. Hate to schedule for service if they'll just say everything checks "ok". May wait until I do my interim oil service.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 525xi
I had similar, but not same issue with my 2007 525xi, 6 speed manual, at ~100K miles. At low speeds 15 to 30 mph (~2000 RPM), engine would intermittently stumble (as if I shifted into wrong gear). It would also intermittently go into limp mode at highway speeds, typically after driving for a while (e.g. 40 minutes). Turned out to be 2 different issues for me:

1) I had a misfire on one cylinder. I replaced one coil and misfire code went away, but still had same issues.

2) I cleaned and swapped positions on VANOS solenoids - car runs good as new!

Total Cost: $65 for 1 ignition coil + $160 for diagnostic tools (KIWI OBD dongle and iPhone BMWhat app to read BMW specific codes). In addition, I changed my spark plugs that were due for a change, but don't think were related to my issues. I'm sure I saved well over $1000 that a stealer would have charged. If you are handy, these were fairly easy repairs.

Details of how I diagnosed and what I did for this repair are in another post I just posted within the past hour.

Not sure if you would attempt the repair yourself, but if so, spending a few bucks on a ODB reader for your car is well worth the investment... paid for itself many times over upon first use. Not sure if BMWhat reads codes for your year/make/model. Also there are likely cheaper options then the Kiwi / iPhone app route I took, but you would need to research whether or not you can read BMW specific codes for your year/make/model. Even a reader that does not read BMW specific codes would be better than nothing.

Good luck!
Old 05-26-2013, 01:12 PM

Thanks hilltopsw. Good info. I'm still under BMW original warranty for another 6 months - haven't needed a code reader but might be nice to have. I think my local dealer is a good 7 day wait for an appt.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
This happened to me and it turned out my DME was failing which inturn also made the coils go bad. Caused misfiring and the same stumble at high rpms. Does anyone have the diy for changing, cleaning the vanos solenoids?