Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM
powerharp powerharp is offline
Registered User
Location: hollywood hills
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: E91
Bye bye bmw...good riddance!!!!!!

Monday was the happiest day of my car owning life. Of the 15 cars I've owned or leased and driven well over 600,000 miles, my '07 328i Sportwagon was by far the worst in terms of problems. I'd enumerate the list of problems here as I've done in previous posts, but I'd just get angry again. On the other hand, perhaps it will serve to further let go of the darkness inside that that Ultimate Farce Machine brought if I do list those problems.

This was a "CPO" vehicle that BMW supposedly and meticulously went through to deliver it to me as a flawless machine when I got the keys with 33,000 miles. Little did I know that the next 28,000 miles would be a joke.

Maybe when the remote door locks failed the first night I had the car I should have sensed that I made a mistake. Okay, so they failed when the valet brought the car after my wife and I enjoyed a $400 dinner that anniversary night. Sure, it was okay for her to ride home in the back seat since the passenger front seat door wouldn't open even with the valet key. It was okay too that we had to cancel our plans the next day to deal with the problem. Actually, it ended up being a plus, because the grinding noise coming from the rear that I thought was a normal sound of a wagon was a failed right rear wheel bearing. Sweet, I concluded that the "mechanics" that CPO'd the car were deaf. So, we were off to a good start.....within a week these two problems were fixed under warranty.

What else?
Bluetooth did not function properly with my Blackberry....very funny witnessing both B's (Blackberry and BMW) blame each other. A month after buying the car, after a 278 mile drive to Las Vegas the oil level warning light says hello......BMW arrogantly chuckles and advises "not to worry" there's still plenty of oil in there. So, it's a good idea then to drive the 278 miles home in 115 degree heat with the warning light on says Mr. B...... Note: this is just further proof to me that CPO is a joke. Memo to mechanics....I know that electronic sensors can replace dipsticks, but maybe it's a good idea to make sure the car is full of oil before selling it to a schmuck like me....

What else? Windshield washer reservoir leak detected after bumper to bumper warranty expires...$400 please, sunroof wind deflector replaced (warranty), Sirius radio continually doesn't recognize subscription is valid....Ha Ha...BMW and Sirius blaming each other....more? Water pump fails at 52k a block from my office $50 CPO deductible covers, oil leak where oil filter attaches, belt tensioner nearly causes catastrophic engine failure...battery needs replacement $600 at dealer...no thank you...$160 at tire shop is better.....time to replace micro filter....$200 at dealer...no thank you...$31 from Amazon plus ten minutes of my time......60k service......$88 oil change thank you plus $200 inspection charge...are you effing kidding? No way Jose ...oh, I almost forgot about the motor failure on the outside driver side mirror....

These are just the highlights....forget about the idiotic placement of the cup holders (I know, we're the only owners who've banged their knees on them), the cargo area cover that doesn't automatically close, the radio display that disappears when viewed with polarized glasses (spare the lecture about how that's common in aircraft and other cars....it's an effing safety hazard).....I will take the blame for the 16 mpg in the city.

I've posted about these problems before and expect to get more comments like "you shudda known about...." Honestly, other than the fact that the resale value dropped faster than Mitt Romney's popularity after the 47% comment which I didn't care about when I bought that heap, I remain shocked at the inferior quality of the car. I planned on keeping it for ten years or more....HASTA LA VISTA
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 AM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 660
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. There are PLENTY..and I mean PLENTY of us who almost never have any of these issues with a bit of maintenance and care, then there are some cars where it feels like the world is dropping its issues on it. It happens. We've had japanese cars in my family that had the same **** happen, and german cars that had not even an 1/8th of the issues happen.

You rolled a loaded die it seems. One bad impression of a car isn't exactly an ideal measure of an entire fleet.
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
  #3  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:39 AM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport Coupe
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,818
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
OP Are you any relation to powerhouseN55 ?
__________________
Kevin

2014 BMW 435M-Sport
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
  #4  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:46 AM
daytrader daytrader is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,051
Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
Yeah, that's a lot to go through, but it happens to all of us from time to time that run with performance based vechicles. Frankly, CPO covers you till 100k and up to year six of the life of the car. That's where if I were not stronge with DIY, I'd look to unload and buy new/CPO again. Most know going into these cars, they will run high repair bills, you just have to be smart on how you handle the situation.
  #5  
Old 05-24-2013, 08:55 AM
surfcity335i surfcity335i is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Huntington Beach
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 357
Mein Auto: 2012 335i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerharp View Post
Monday was the happiest day of my car owning life. Of the 15 cars I've owned or leased and driven well over 600,000 miles, my '07 328i Sportwagon was by far the worst in terms of problems. I'd enumerate the list of problems here as I've done in previous posts, but I'd just get angry again. On the other hand, perhaps it will serve to further let go of the darkness inside that that Ultimate Farce Machine brought if I do list those problems.

This was a "CPO" vehicle that BMW supposedly and meticulously went through to deliver it to me as a flawless machine when I got the keys with 33,000 miles. Little did I know that the next 28,000 miles would be a joke.

Maybe when the remote door locks failed the first night I had the car I should have sensed that I made a mistake. Okay, so they failed when the valet brought the car after my wife and I enjoyed a $400 dinner that anniversary night. Sure, it was okay for her to ride home in the back seat since the passenger front seat door wouldn't open even with the valet key. It was okay too that we had to cancel our plans the next day to deal with the problem. Actually, it ended up being a plus, because the grinding noise coming from the rear that I thought was a normal sound of a wagon was a failed right rear wheel bearing. Sweet, I concluded that the "mechanics" that CPO'd the car were deaf. So, we were off to a good start.....within a week these two problems were fixed under warranty.

What else?
Bluetooth did not function properly with my Blackberry....very funny witnessing both B's (Blackberry and BMW) blame each other. A month after buying the car, after a 278 mile drive to Las Vegas the oil level warning light says hello......BMW arrogantly chuckles and advises "not to worry" there's still plenty of oil in there. So, it's a good idea then to drive the 278 miles home in 115 degree heat with the warning light on says Mr. B...... Note: this is just further proof to me that CPO is a joke. Memo to mechanics....I know that electronic sensors can replace dipsticks, but maybe it's a good idea to make sure the car is full of oil before selling it to a schmuck like me....

What else? Windshield washer reservoir leak detected after bumper to bumper warranty expires...$400 please, sunroof wind deflector replaced (warranty), Sirius radio continually doesn't recognize subscription is valid....Ha Ha...BMW and Sirius blaming each other....more? Water pump fails at 52k a block from my office $50 CPO deductible covers, oil leak where oil filter attaches, belt tensioner nearly causes catastrophic engine failure...battery needs replacement $600 at dealer...no thank you...$160 at tire shop is better.....time to replace micro filter....$200 at dealer...no thank you...$31 from Amazon plus ten minutes of my time......60k service......$88 oil change thank you plus $200 inspection charge...are you effing kidding? No way Jose ...oh, I almost forgot about the motor failure on the outside driver side mirror....

These are just the highlights....forget about the idiotic placement of the cup holders (I know, we're the only owners who've banged their knees on them), the cargo area cover that doesn't automatically close, the radio display that disappears when viewed with polarized glasses (spare the lecture about how that's common in aircraft and other cars....it's an effing safety hazard).....I will take the blame for the 16 mpg in the city.

I've posted about these problems before and expect to get more comments like "you shudda known about...." Honestly, other than the fact that the resale value dropped faster than Mitt Romney's popularity after the 47% comment which I didn't care about when I bought that heap, I remain shocked at the inferior quality of the car. I planned on keeping it for ten years or more....HASTA LA VISTA
But it was fun to drive and handled like a dream, right? That's why BMW is still in business. Sorta like the high maintenance trophy wife. You didn't get her for her vacuuming skills.
  #6  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:52 AM
Watchme Watchme is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ma
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 242
Mein Auto: 328i
Don't blame the car for incompetency of the dealership mechanics. And might come a surprise to you, but CPO means nothing except as a marketing term.
  #7  
Old 05-24-2013, 09:54 AM
thekurgan's Avatar
thekurgan thekurgan is offline
Bad Lieutenant
Location: Sacramento, CA
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,534
Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Sounds like a

__________________
08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/ZHP knob
  #8  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:14 AM
daytrader daytrader is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,051
Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
^ Yup that too!
  #9  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:33 AM
3two8iguy's Avatar
3two8iguy 3two8iguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere between New York & Raleigh
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 310
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
I bought a new 2007 325i and drove it until I traded it in for a new 2011 328i Sedan,I am absolutely pleased with how my two cars perform,Maybe its because I love my cars and give them names and say goodmorning and goodnight to them and they are glad to have me as an owner,do you think i'm crazy yet?,never park next to another car even if I have to park a long way from my destination,I maintain my car and pamper it so when I hit I-40 and drive up to Greensboro I can really drive it like it was meant to driven,"Life is a Journey,Enjoy your ride".

Last edited by 3two8iguy; 05-24-2013 at 10:35 AM.
  #10  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:34 AM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is offline
boosted and loving it
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,146
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
OP Are you any relation to powerhouseN55 ?
If this was powerhouseN55 his mommy would just replace it with an Audi when it broke.
Funny how the screen name is similar though!
  #11  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:38 AM
3two8iguy's Avatar
3two8iguy 3two8iguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere between New York & Raleigh
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 310
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
But it was fun to drive and handled like a dream, right? That's why BMW is still in business. Sorta like the high maintenance trophy wife. You didn't get her for her vacuuming skills.
Not sure about the vacuuming skills,the better it sucks the more I want to keep her,,,,I mean it....
  #12  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:46 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,040
Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
OP Are you any relation to powerhouseN55 ?
He'd buy the dealership and get free filters not complain about 88 bucks, so I'm going to say NO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Don't blame the car for incompetency of the dealership mechanics. And might come a surprise to you, but CPO means nothing except as a marketing term.
Yep sounds like someone put too much faith in that marketing shtick

Last edited by SuperTerp; 05-24-2013 at 10:48 AM.
  #13  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:50 AM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is offline
boosted and loving it
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,146
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
He'd buy the dealership and get free filters not complain about 88 bucks, so I'm going to say NO.



Yep sounds like someone put too much faith in that marketing shtick

  #14  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:54 AM
HPIA4v2 HPIA4v2 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: washington
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 2,106
Mein Auto: E60, E71, E92
I'd pay $88 oil change anytime, my dealer wanted $175.
Cause any synthetic oil retail (no coupon, no discount nor special) is in $8-9 /quart you need 7 quarts, $15 oil filter for genuine BMW filter then labor (I had to crawl under the car after I jack it up). You are not going to find any better oil-change price at Audi/Benz even Lexus/Infiniti.

I bought all my cars (Audis, BMWs) new and sure the first 4-yrs always no problem.

In any rate, I agree if you cant find satisfaction in one brand vote with your wallet. GL in your next endevour
  #15  
Old 05-24-2013, 10:56 AM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 660
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
He'd buy the dealership and get free filters not complain about 88 bucks, so I'm going to say NO.



Yep sounds like someone put too much faith in that marketing shtick
I thought I was the only one that noticed his name, hah.

Oh, and he'd probably crash the car first. C'mon, we know how this procedure goes by now. Afterwards you sue the state, country, and god himself (as Orient would say).
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
  #16  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:00 AM
Speedwagon's Avatar
Speedwagon Speedwagon is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Colorado
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 336
Mein Auto: 2012 328IX Sportwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
But it was fun to drive and handled like a dream, right? That's why BMW is still in business. Sorta like the high maintenance trophy wife. You didn't get her for her vacuuming skills.
LOL, good one!
  #17  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:39 AM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 660
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
I bought a new 2007 325i and drove it until I traded it in for a new 2011 328i Sedan,I am absolutely pleased with how my two cars perform,Maybe its because I love my cars and give them names and say goodmorning and goodnight to them and they are glad to have me as an owner,do you think i'm crazy yet?,never park next to another car even if I have to park a long way from my destination,I maintain my car and pamper it so when I hit I-40 and drive up to Greensboro I can really drive it like it was meant to driven,"Life is a Journey,Enjoy your ride".
Why can't you just use spaces damn it, I really want to read your stuff, but my brain is having a panic attack each time.
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
  #18  
Old 05-24-2013, 11:46 AM
3two8iguy's Avatar
3two8iguy 3two8iguy is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere between New York & Raleigh
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 310
Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Why can't you just use spaces damn it, I really want to read your stuff, but my brain is having a panic attack each time.
Gladyouenjoymystuffwhatspaces?pleaseexplain
  #19  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:13 PM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is online now
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 8,516
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
Don't let the door hit you on the way out. There are PLENTY..and I mean PLENTY of us who almost never have any of these issues with a bit of maintenance and care, then there are some cars where it feels like the world is dropping its issues on it. It happens. We've had japanese cars in my family that had the same **** happen, and german cars that had not even an 1/8th of the issues happen.

You rolled a loaded die it seems. One bad impression of a car isn't exactly an ideal measure of an entire fleet.
Now now, don't be mean. Many of us had problems with our cars (I had $4000 in repairs on my 2006 330xi in ONE month). Just many of us don't whine like the OP does. You know what my solution was to the mechanic who said "sell your BMW"? I leased a new BMW
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
  #20  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:16 PM
anE934fun anE934fun is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: S.F. Bay Area
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,719
Mein Auto: 2010 335d
OP's experience is why I always buy new - CA Lemon Law. I have used it once. The positive experience actually brought me back to BMW for my d. It is quite reassuring to know that if I get a lemon, the CA Lemon Law is there to make me whole.
__________________
  #21  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:20 PM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 660
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Now now, don't be mean. Many of us had problems with our cars (I had $4000 in repairs on my 2006 330xi in ONE month). Just many of us don't whine like the OP does. You know what my solution was to the mechanic who said "sell your BMW"? I leased a new BMW
I wasn't trying to be mean, it's just these stories pop up more than most of us would like. Coupled with the fact that people "outside of the forums" think that BMW's are cars that are all about the "marque" and not the total package and/or the fact that they ALWAYS break down and are unreliable...it just gets to me.

I'd love to see a Honda or Nissan handle as well and look as nice, but that'll happen when hell freezes over. I'd also love to be able to prove that more Japanese cars have gone under with more "miniscule" repairs in my life than any German car I've seen...
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
  #22  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:25 PM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is offline
boosted and loving it
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,146
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
I'd pay $88 oil change anytime, my dealer wanted $175.
Cause any synthetic oil retail (no coupon, no discount nor special) is in $8-9 /quart you need 7 quarts, $15 oil filter for genuine BMW filter then labor (I had to crawl under the car after I jack it up). You are not going to find any better oil-change price at Audi/Benz even Lexus/Infiniti.

I bought all my cars (Audis, BMWs) new and sure the first 4-yrs always no problem.

In any rate, I agree if you cant find satisfaction in one brand vote with your wallet. GL in your next endevour
Find the closest dealers, and sign up on their websites. I have 2 dealers who send me monthly newsletters that usually have an oil-change coupon for a $79 oil change.
  #23  
Old 05-24-2013, 12:28 PM
bighorns's Avatar
bighorns bighorns is offline
boosted and loving it
Location: Hi Dez, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 5,146
Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport coupe
Here's one: http://www.imakenews.com/shellybmw/e...Rvg%2cbwnqmgDG
  #24  
Old 05-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Majikthese42's Avatar
Majikthese42 Majikthese42 is offline
Philosopher-king
Location: People's Republic of New Jersey
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,639
Mein Auto: E91, Volvo, Porsche
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfcity335i View Post
But it was fun to drive and handled like a dream, right? That's why BMW is still in business. Sorta like the high maintenance trophy wife. You didn't get her for her vacuuming skills.
In a nutshell.

For years I've said I'd buy an M5 in a heartbeat if Hyundai built them.

But the 328i is the most reliable BMW made today. Eventually most ditch the high-maintenance trophy wife. Or she ditches you.
__________________
2008 E91 station wagon 19K miles "Classic" BMW inline six, six-speed manual transmission, Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Dunlop Winter Sports, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats, sand, dog hair, several pairs of smelly old running shoes.

  #25  
Old 05-24-2013, 03:58 PM
powerharp powerharp is offline
Registered User
Location: hollywood hills
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 49
Mein Auto: E91
cpo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchme View Post
Don't blame the car for incompetency of the dealership mechanics. And might come a surprise to you, but CPO means nothing except as a marketing term.
Good points....first, why would I blame my father for dying from cancer when it was clearly the doctors' fault.... (I know, cold and a bit off point).....

Second, CPO meant nothing....nothing besides the thousands of dollars of repairs that I was not charged for....except as part of the purchase price....

BTW, my Mercedes that I purchased with a CPO warranty that was responsibly honored by MBZ for all of the 70K miles I put on it....during which the only fix of note was replacement of the fuel pump.....

Geez, even my Alfa and my two Peugeots were more reliable than my 3 series....OH, it must be me....
Closed Thread

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms