Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 05-25-2013, 02:29 AM

Mein Auto: Cayenne S
08' M5 PPI questions

Excited New Member...

Been shopping for a couple months - have two 08' M5's equipped with manual trannies in the area. Trying to make a decision over the weekend.

Although I'd prefer the updated electronics on 09' models, prefer to have money for gas and repairs.

Any short list of issues to confirm during PPI's? Both are out of warranty. One has 70K miles and the other 40K miles, approximately. And they are priced accordingly.

Is a compression test warranted? The V10 engine is supposedly quite bulletproof.

Drove a bunch of SMG equipped M5's and although I got used to the feel, this is a second car so a manual makes sense. How about suspension bits/pieces - EDC system?

Many thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Old 05-27-2013, 02:39 AM

Mein Auto: E60 M5
I will be interested to hear the answers to this.

2008 E60 M5
1990 911 964 "G" Class Racecar
2005 LR3 Tow SUV
2008 ATC Trailer
Old 06-04-2013, 11:51 PM
Living in Fast Forward

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E63 650i
08' M5 PPI questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwiadro View Post
Excited New Member...

Been shopping for a couple months - have two 08' M5's equipped with manual trannies in the area. Trying to make a decision over the weekend.

Although I'd prefer the updated electronics on 09' models, prefer to have money for gas and repairs.

Any short list of issues to confirm during PPI's? Both are out of warranty. One has 70K miles and the other 40K miles, approximately. And they are priced accordingly.

Is a compression test warranted? The V10 engine is supposedly quite bulletproof.

Drove a bunch of SMG equipped M5's and although I got used to the feel, this is a second car so a manual makes sense. How about suspension bits/pieces - EDC system?

Many thanks in advance!
I can't really speak for M5 owners as I have never owned or driven one, but owning the manual transmission would be more reliable in the long run. However the performance of the car will not be as fast as opposed to the SMG. From what I've seen and heard, some owners have reported SMG failures and they are not cheap to fix. Other than that, have a PPI done by a reputable Indy and shop for a good aftermarket warranty. Good luck.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-05-2013, 10:04 PM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
If you have an oppertunity to own a M5 ,,, do it . best car on the road hands down .dont even look twice run with it. Just off a 2500 mile trip the m5 makes driving an adventure in control....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	work 012.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	380438  
Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 PM

Mein Auto: M5
Luckydog hit the nail on the head! 'Driving an M5 is an adventure in control' Great line. I personally would stay away from an M5 with 70K miles. This car can be very expensive to fix. With 70K, too much room for abuse for me. As far as the SMG, The E60 M5 was built exclusively with this trans. As far as I know only 1300 or so full manuals were built for the american market only so any E60 M5 with a full manual is a pretty rare car to start with. I have never driven the manual but people that have them love them. There is also truth to the SMG being a bit finnicky and expensive to fix. Clutch, SMG pump and a whole host of other electronics complicate it. The difference is it will shift at 65 milliseconds at 8000 RPM. This is ridiclously fast and quite violent. I dont push mine anywhere near that hard for fear of blowing out the rear end. I really like the EDC. I usually drive around town in the middle setting (sport) and the softer setting for the highway. I leave the stiffest setting for my 'M' mode where the car is dialed up all the way. Definetly buy an aftermarket warranty. The M5 is just to expensive to fix. The warranty might not cover everything but it usually makes repairs bearable. Nothing else is an M5! Good luck!
Old 06-09-2013, 03:57 AM

Looks like I have found an 08' M5 stick w/ 40K miles and CPO'd till 1/31/2014. Giving up better iDrive in 09's for lower price point, but getting the 6sp manual and loaded vehicle (perforated leather, cooling/heated seats, 'enhanced' premium stereo). Will save the extra $$ for gas, tires, and brakes.

Keep your fingers crossed - hoping to closed deal on Monday. Will post pics soon.

Thank you for all the input and advice - looking forward to owning 'the beast' and joining the M community in legit fashion.
Old 06-09-2013, 03:58 AM

Anyone got a set of 18' rims for winter use they are looking to get rid of?
Old 06-09-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: M5
That sounds like a really good deal. Getting the CPO warranty is huge. Being its fully loaded is big also. I was originally looking for a manual as you are and found an 06' with only 8k miles on it (SMG) and I couldn't pass it up. Good luck!!! You will not believe this car once you get into it!!! The newer electronics are nice (My wife has a 2012 X5) but to me that wouldn't be a deal breaker with an M5. I don't think you will regret buying his car. Post some pics!
Old 06-17-2013, 11:41 PM

Car arrives tomorrow on transport! Will post pics -