Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-25-2013, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
dealer wheel repair

Hello, as per title.. had my '11 328xi at the dealer for service, at 28k miles dealer finds 3 bent rims.. paid $400+ to get them straight again
Car feels a lot better but there still is little vibration around 40mph and 60mph... took car back and they re-balanced but not much changed dealer also said "well you know wheel straightning is not going to get them back to 100%"
what would you do.. I just think they should have said from the begining it costs so much but maynot come out 100%...
thanks
Ads by Google
Old 05-25-2013, 05:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive28i
Dealer straightens rims or do they farm out that work elsewhere?
You said "car feels a lot better" I guess that's what $400 paid for.
Would they have been able to show you the bent rims in the condition they are in?
When your tires get a bit worn they'll vibrate a bit.
Old 05-25-2013, 06:02 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptcv1 View Post
Hello, as per title.. had my '11 328xi at the dealer for service, at 28k miles dealer finds 3 bent rims.. paid $400+ to get them straight again
Car feels a lot better but there still is little vibration around 40mph and 60mph... took car back and they re-balanced but not much changed dealer also said "well you know wheel straightning is not going to get them back to 100%"
what would you do.. I just think they should have said from the begining it costs so much but maynot come out 100%...
thanks
I'm in the business and have had maybe a hundred wheels straightened. You are being fed a line.

Either the wheels are not straight or you have another problem. Straightened wheels, when done right, are as straight as good factory wheels. Unfortunately there are different ways of straightening wheels and I have a feeling for that price you got a quickie.

What's a quickie? A guy comes in a van and mounts your wheels to a fixture and bends them back in line. Not the best way to go about it. It costs me $125 a wheel to have them professionally trued and I gladly pay it. I bill it out at $170, what would a dealer charge?

Take your car to an indy. Tell them you want your wheels spun to see if there's a problem. He'll mount them on the balancer and visually check for wobble, it's easy to see anything you can feel. At the same time if the machine comes up all zeros you'll know they were properly balanced. If there's a wobble your wheels were not straightened and someone owes you either a refund or a proper straightening.

Remember, if you can feel the problem all the way to the steering wheel there are forces acting on the suspension which are going to cause severely advanced wear to something!
Old 05-25-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Yes it sounds like it was a quick mobile van type fix... I think I should ask dealer to either fix (true fix) or they can refund.. If they refuse I can always ask my credit card to reverse the charge - Im ok paying for a true fix but not an incomplete job..
Old 05-25-2013, 01:18 PM
2014 435M-Sport Coupe

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport Coupe
I have seen the wheel fix van parked by the shop at my dealer, expect most do it that way.

CURRENT
2014 BMW 435M-Sport 8ZF
2013 BMW 135is 6MT conv JB4/ISO
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
Old 05-25-2013, 06:31 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear-avhistory View Post
I have seen the wheel fix van parked by the shop at my dealer, expect most do it that way.
Problem number one: They don't have the same hydraulic equipment which the fixed locations have and are unable to true to the same tolerances.
Problem number two: They paint but don't bake. Spill brake fluid on the repaired area and guess what happens to the paint? It isn't pretty. Baked finishes are extremely resistant to brake fluid, and brake cleaner.
Different vans have been to my shop trying to sell on their low price. Ciao, auf wiedersehen, sayonara, hasta luego, au revoir. Good-bye.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328I xdrive
Bent rims

I purchased my first BMW in August. My passed autos were Honda accords (EX VL six). I had 4 or 5. I never heard of bent rims until I started reading it from these forums.
Are these rims of less quality than Honda? Do I need to check rims and balance them each bump I hit on the highway?
Do RFTs have anything to do with bent rims? Maybe I'm questioning my purchase, although I enjoy my 328xi with only 2,400 mi.

Last edited by Gdiego; 05-25-2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptcv1 View Post
thanks
Shoulda done some home work on straightning rims kinda difficult to get em back to 100%...Chalk it up and buy new as nothing worse than a vibration but usually not felt until like 60 or above 40 is not good,best of luck here
Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiego View Post
I purchased my first BMW in August. My passed autos were Honda accords (EX VL six). I had 4 or 5. I never heard of bent rims until I started reading it from these forums.
Are these rims of less quality than Honda? Do I need to check rims and balance them each bump I hit on the highway?
Do RFTs have anything to do with bent rims? Maybe I'm questioning my purchase, although I enjoy my 328xi with only 2,400 mi.
lower profile rims with less rubber combined with ultra stiff RFT's and a pot hole here ya come...Bent!! Need to drive right(Never a bend here)
Old 05-27-2013, 07:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 328I xdrive
Bent rims

Can I assume I will notice uneven tire wear if the rims are bent? Will notice the same wear if the pot hole knocked the front end out of alignment?
Old 05-27-2013, 10:23 PM
Non compos Mentos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiego View Post
Can I assume I will notice uneven tire wear if the rims are bent? Will notice the same wear if the pot hole knocked the front end out of alignment?
Yes. Yes, maybe. Depends on what you mean by "the same wear". Wear patterns vary extesively depending on tire tread, construction (how it's made), inflation and forces acting on the tire. A good tech can tell you what's wrong with a blindfold on, all he has to do is run his palms over the tread area and feel for the kind of wear.