Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 05-25-2013, 02:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw
How much is my M3 worth?

Hi all

I'm considering selling my M3 and I wondered what I would realistically expect to get for it with a private party sale and would value your opinions. Here are the details:

2003 M3 Convertible
45,861 miles (my weekend car)
Carbon Black Metallic
Imola Red Leather Interior
Black Soft Top
SMG
Lumbar Support
Heated Front Seats
Park Distance Control
Rain Sensor
Xenon Headlights

Original Price Sticker Price $60,970

In great overall condition

Thank you in advance.

Cali
Advertisement
Old 05-26-2013, 02:30 AM
Haitoman

Send a message via Skype™ to Haitoman
Mein Auto: 2012 F10 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali View Post
Hi all

I'm considering selling my M3 and I wondered what I would realistically expect to get for it with a private party sale and would value your opinions. Here are the details:

2003 M3 Convertible
45,861 miles (my weekend car)
Carbon Black Metallic
Imola Red Leather Interior
Black Soft Top
SMG
Lumbar Support
Heated Front Seats
Park Distance Control
Rain Sensor
Xenon Headlights

Original Price Sticker Price $60,970

In great overall condition

Thank you in advance.

Cali

The equivalent car in England would fetch about US$12000

2012 F10 535i M-Sport Carbon Black
2006 520d Touring Montego Blue Metallic
2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black Hard Top Vert
2002 E46 330i M-Sport Titanium Silver Just sold !!
Old 05-28-2013, 01:53 PM

Mein Auto: bmw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haitoman View Post
The equivalent car in England would fetch about US$12000
Thanx for the reply & $12,000 Wow..........Carmax is offering $18,000 for trade in, I figured private party might be around $22,000

Cali
Old 05-31-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: '02 M3 'Vert
Your car is similar in spec to mine, except mines an '02. I've looked at it's "value", and get in the $12K range. What bugs me is seeing the same car in classifieds for $20K+! So which is it?

2002 M3 Convertible
2005 VW Passat 1.8T Wagon
Old 05-31-2013, 10:27 PM

Mein Auto: E46 M3
Quote:
Hi all

[snip]

Cali
A reasonable price to end at is probably around 20k give or take a few hundred assuming it is in good condition. That makes it a good deal for both parties...you get more than trade-in and they pay less than what a dealer would charge. Might list it for a bit more expecting folks will want to haggle it down.

Don't put too much stock in what any of the online appraisal sites (kbb, edmunds, etc) tell you. In the end the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Set your price and see how much interest it generates...if you get very little you are too high...if you get a lot you may be low. I consider interest to be people who actually show up in person to have a look - you will get plenty of people contacting you without real serious interest. Good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 11:17 AM
A BMW, 7 Series of course

Mein Auto: LS460
Quote:
Thanx for the reply & $12,000 Wow..........Carmax is offering $18,000 for trade in, I figured private party might be around $22,000

Cali
You have to realize he is in England. They are cheaper and way more common over there.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: '02 m3 e46 2d 6spd
Thats a good point, you will get people haggling and trying to buy for kbb edmunds book value 11-12K. I'm starting to gather comps from various forums and private sellers on realized sales. I will post when i gather information. I am a strong believer that m3 good++condition have a premium over book values varying from 30-65% higher. then again give it time. the seller who sold me mine took about 2 months to find the right match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son View Post
A reasonable price to end at is probably around 20k give or take a few hundred assuming it is in good condition. That makes it a good deal for both parties...you get more than trade-in and they pay less than what a dealer would charge. Might list it for a bit more expecting folks will want to haggle it down.

Don't put too much stock in what any of the online appraisal sites (kbb, edmunds, etc) tell you. In the end the car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay. Set your price and see how much interest it generates...if you get very little you are too high...if you get a lot you may be low. I consider interest to be people who actually show up in person to have a look - you will get plenty of people contacting you without real serious interest. Good luck!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 M3 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkelly View Post
Thats a good point, you will get people haggling and trying to buy for kbb edmunds book value 11-12K. I'm starting to gather comps from various forums and private sellers on realized sales. I will post when i gather information. I am a strong believer that m3 good++condition have a premium over book values varying from 30-65% higher. then again give it time. the seller who sold me mine took about 2 months to find the right match.
Keep in mind that there is downward pressure on the E46 M3 prices caused by similar/newer cars coming out of warranty, being offered for sale, and lowering prices of several cars. Hell, take a look at the E39 M5 market and you'll see a noticeable drop over the last year or so.

Mine got very little interest with 60k at $18,000 (SMG), and I had to come down a fair bit in order to be able to move on my next car. There is no doubt that there exist E46 examples that can and will fetch 20k from the right buyer, but more will be sold near the 15k mark than 20.

In the long term, I truly think that E46 prices will not drop as quickly and as low as E36 prices have.

540i - Stock/Sport / 6MT / 13.9@100mph
WS6 - 231/234 / 6MT / 4.10 / 410rwhp
ITR - 262/262 / 5MT / 12.2:1 / 9600rpm

540i/6 Sport, Jet Black, Style 65, LED tail, DICE+GROM USB, !CDV, Redline MT-90, M1 0-40w