Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 05-25-2013, 04:32 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 323Ci
Car Problem

My car has about 175xxx miles on it and I just took it to have the drive shaft coupler fixed, and my BMW specilist said that my car needs a new steering rack and new hoses and a new steering pump. My car 323ci likes to pull to the right while braking/driving/uneven road surfaces. I already replaced the whole control arms/bushings/inner ball joints everything and I got new tires and I did an alignment(maybe a bad shop I took it too?)
have no idea that it is. My mechanic said it would costs a total of 1700 bucks for the parts and labor.
my car rocks back and fourth while braking. my head is like a bobble head lol. It's small movemnt by I notice it. My steering wheel also slighty shakes when this happens. But not as bad when I need new control arms.

Any ideas?

Help!!!
Old 05-25-2013, 05:26 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Words View Post
My car has about 175xxx miles on it and I just took it to have the drive shaft coupler fixed, and my BMW specilist said that my car needs a new steering rack and new hoses and a new steering pump. My car 323ci likes to pull to the right while braking/driving/uneven road surfaces. I already replaced the whole control arms/bushings/inner ball joints everything and I got new tires and I did an alignment(maybe a bad shop I took it too?)
have no idea that it is. My mechanic said it would costs a total of 1700 bucks for the parts and labor.
my car rocks back and fourth while braking. my head is like a bobble head lol. It's small movemnt by I notice it. My steering wheel also slighty shakes when this happens. But not as bad when I need new control arms.

Any ideas?

Help!!!
Those symptoms sound like bad control arm bushings. I know you said you had them replaced, but how long ago? They can go bad quickly if you drive on bad roads regularly. You are going to have to go under there and have a look. There should be some movement if you pry lightly on the control ar by the bushing, but the fit over the control arm should not be sloppy. Get a second opinion on the rest. I suggest changing your power steering fluid as a first step. Instructions are in the wiki at the top of the page. Also check tie rods for looseness or any play. Everything should be tight. No movement at all if you pry slightly.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:32 PM

I changed the Control arms bushings like 5months ago. I will check for the tie rods. What are some symptoms of bad tie rods?

Thanks
Old 05-25-2013, 10:03 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Too much play. Look up a youtube vid to check them for further details. Test is applicable to all cars.
Old 06-23-2013, 09:04 PM

BUMP UPdate

I found this... and could this be the cause of the back&forth movement while braking?

I also found a small play on the tie rods!!!

Old 06-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
Order new links yet?

Are you running an aftermarket sway bar?

Last edited by GoForthFast; 06-24-2013 at 10:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2013, 10:49 PM

they are not aftermarket

I am planning on ordering for

ESC Tuning
Old 06-26-2013, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Sway links are usually good for about 100k miles of mixed/spirited driving. Yours are shot. Tie rods ends maybe a little more. Do this stuff before you get suckered into several grand replacing the PS system. Not saying you may not actually need a new rack, etc., but much more common for the "cheaper" pieces mentioned to be the culprits.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 06-26-2013 at 07:11 AM.