Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-25-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i Coupe
Noob looking for advice

Hi Bimmerfest Community,

I've been a long time lurker on this site and finally decided to join. This post is probably unnecessarily long but since i'm asking for advice rather than for the answer to a specific technical question I think a little context might help. You can skip to the end for my "questions" if you prefer the Clift's Notes.

My first BMW was a 2004 330ci coupe (performance package). I got the car new on lease as opposed to buying a 1997 M3 that I really had my heart set on for a while because I didn't want to be responsible for repairs etc while making such a hearty monthly payment :-). I loved the car while I had it but was ready to let in go in 2007 once I saw the new 335i coupe. I was instantly in love and even preferred the ride of the 335i over the M3 especially since it would be my day to day car. Unfortunately, I didn't have the funds to jump into one at lease end (not to mention the incredibly limited availability). I decided to turn in my lease, commute to work on the train and use my wife's car until the time was right.

A couple of years ago I decided I was ready to buy another car and started the hunt for a 335i coupe. After a lot of searching I found a 2007 at a local dealership that seemed just right.

- 6 speed manual
- 18" wheels
- Premium Black Paint
- Basketball Leather Interior
- Low Miles
- CPO Warranty
- Many other bells and whistles & the price was inline with market value

2 days after taking delivery of the vehicle I got an engine malfunction and had to return it to the dealer. Apparently it was a recall related to the fuel pump and they took it in to replace. I was of course worried since it was a CPO and I assumed that this sort of thing would already have been taken care of. Yet, I'd spent so much time looking for the "right" car I overlooked it and let them repair it.

After driving the car for a few more weeks I started to become worried about intermittent issues. The car would run really well for a few days and then suffer from rough idle and uneven acceleration. A couple of weeks into ownership I got a a low engine oil warning and decided to take it into a different BMW dealership. They made some adjustments and gave it back but the issues persisted. To make a long story short I was without the care for 50 out of the first 70 days I owned it. They replaced both the turbo's, worked on the wastegates, and other things before finally just returning it and saying that it is as "good" as it's going to get. Fast forward 18 months and 20,000 miles and I've got a make a decision about this car (67,000 miles).

So, after all of that backstory I'm trying to decide whether to sell/trade the car since I'm about even on my LTV or to spend some money on mods to the car and keep it. I've read lots on all the different options for this car (there are so many) and am not sure if I should invest in the car (since it's a troubled "prototype" of the new 335i) or just move on.

My Questions are as follows:

- Do software upgrades like Dinan with the kinds of issues that i've been experiencing?
- If I decide to move forward with a software upgrade will I need to follow on with a lot of hardware upgrades (exhaust, intake, cooling, etc) in order to keep pace and avoid causing more problems?
- Has anyone had the BMW recommended "walnut shell" cleaning treatment and what were the results?
- Has anyone moved on from the 335i runflat tires to others that ride better and protect rims better?
- Ultimately, am I hanging onto a "first generation" of a new direction BMW was going in? Have they worked out kinks that i'm dealing with now and I should just cut my losses and get into a later model?

In closing, i'm a spirited driver but have never even been near a track. This is my primary car. I'm not at all interested or equipped to work on the car myself. I enjoy driving my BMW and the performance is fun but i'm not a tweaker. I'm trying to balance the need for a dependable day to day car with my desire to have a fun coupe that keeps me longing for my ride to and from all the boring day to day destinations. Any advice you guys can give will be greatly appreciated.

Best,

-_jay
Advertisement
Old 05-25-2013, 10:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaywightman View Post
They replaced both the turbo's, worked on the wastegates, and other things before finally just returning it and saying that it is as "good" as it's going to get. Fast forward 18 months and 20,000 miles and I've got a make a decision about this car (67,000 miles).

Helloooooo long time lurker....! About now a little bell should ring. Had your intake valves cleaned?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:17 PM

OK you asked if anyone's walnut blasted. Hey, if you've lurked here much, you've seen the press and checked the links. If overlooked, do a quick search for "walnut shell" - you'll come up with somewhere north of a dozen hits.

Read, and be glad! Almost certainly your ride is in need. Check symptoms too.

Name:  Think 04.gif
Views: 132
Size:  4.9 KB
Old 05-25-2013, 10:30 PM

Thanks Guys, both responses have hinted towards the Walnut treatment. I've had the valves cleaned and used the recommended BMW treatment for a month previously. Is this a regular thing that I should assume part of maintenance? I only put 93 octane gas in the car (who knows about the previous owner).

Last edited by Jaywightman; 05-25-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks Guys, both responses have hinted towards the Walnut treatment. I've had the valves cleaned and used the recommended BMW treatment for a month previously. Is this a regular thing that I should assume part of maintenance? I only put 93 octane gas in the car (who knows about the previous owner).

What was the recommended BMW treatment?
Old 05-26-2013, 06:44 AM

BMW fuel injector cleaner with ever fill up for a month..... waste of money
Old 05-26-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
BMW fuel injector cleaner with ever fill up for a month..... waste of money

Pretty much....was the intake valve cleaning a walnut shell blast?
Old 05-26-2013, 08:25 AM

No, that's why in was asking about it. Is it worth the 850 bucks?
Old 05-26-2013, 09:49 AM

Quote:

Should be $600, and yes if you can't DIY for much less!
Old 05-26-2013, 09:50 AM

Quote:

So, how were intake valves cleaned? Injector cleaner not affecting that area....