Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 535xi
End All Battery Replacement Thread

E60 Battery Replacement
I have done a ton of researching for you and moderators please make this a sticky for battery replacement in the E60

This IS kind of a pain but if you want to save money and get it done correctly THIS is the way to do it.

Duralast Gold/Battery 95R-DLG
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...ntifier=820339
Here's the battery, AutoZone sells it for $179.99. IGNORE the AutoZone battery finder thing, it's COMPLETELY WRONG and spits out the wrong battery.

Or:
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 95R, 950 CCA
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web..******_2130016-p
Here's the battery, Advance Auto sells it for $182.99. IGNORE the Advance auto battery finder thing, it's COMPLETELY WRONG and spits out the wrong battery.

Or:
http://www.batteriesplus.com/product...4L-850CCA.aspx
SLI95RH9

Old Battery: If this is your old battery
01 Battery from Exide (Warranty Only) 110AH 850A 1 61216901815 ENDED
01 Battery from Exide (Warranty Only) 110AH 850A 1 61217591085 ENDED

OEM Battery Specs:
Cold Cranking Amps (CCA): 850
Reserve Capacity (Min): 110
Battery Length: 394 mm - 15 9/16 in
Battery Width: 175 mm - 6 15/16 in
Battery Height: 190 mm - 7 1/2 in
Post Location: Top Post
Right Or Left Hand Positive: Right
Core Charge Applicable: Yes

New Battery (this is for the one I got from Advance Auto)
AutoCraft Gold Battery, Group Size 95R, 950 CCA
Amp Hours: 110 hr
Battery Type: Lead Acid
BCI Group Size: 95
Cold Cranking Amps: 950 amps
Deep Cycle/Starting: Starting
Height: 7 1/2 in
Length: 15 9/16 in
Maintenance Free: Yes
Terminal Type: Top Terminal
Voltage: 12 v
Weight: 64 lbs
Width: 6 15/16 in

Autocraft Gold CCA 950 AH 110 RC 150
BMW OEM CCC 850 AH 110 RC 110

Other batteries that I think will work but not positive:
http://www.pepboys.com/product/detai...ntity=148-690B Bosch from Bosch Premium Performance Battery Group Size 48 Pepboys $113.99
Part # 48-690B SKU: 9073748

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003c
DieHard Gold Automotive Battery - Group Size 48 $149.99

DO NOT GET THE H8 BATTERY FROM WAL-MART ALTHOUGH THE CCA IS BETTER THAN OEM AT 900CCA THE AH ON THIS BATTERY IS ONLY 80 WHICH IS NOT ENOUGH FOR OUR CARS!!!!

Out of all these choices I ended up getting the Advance Auto Battery and with using coupon code HUGE50 or TPT 30 I ended up getting $50 off of the battery. For these coupon codes to work you MUST purchase the battery online and do in store pickup!!!

If you get the Autozone or Advance Auto battery (Which I would recommend doing) they will not be able to touch your car: (I did this in the parking lot of advance auto)
Under the hood use a 12 volt source so that you car never loses power!

Battery removal and installation:
1. Remove the trunk carpet/plastic floor and lift the tray containing the spare.
2. Locate the battery by pulling the rear right corner panel inside of your trunk. There should be 1-2 plastic screws that hold the panel down.
3. Use i believe a 11-13mm socket wrench to unbolt the retainer bar (black) that holds down the battery.
4. Use a 10mm socket wrench to loosen the positive and negative terminal and pull them off the battery. Note that the positive plug has two connections. Only need to loosen the one that is connected to the battery (which is closest to the North edge)
5. Use a Phillips screw driver to loosen the long gray screw on the South side of the battery. This is clipping down the battery on the bottom.
6. Once loose enough, pull the battery straight out.
7. Replace battery and then make sure the metal clip is sitting on top of the edge of the battery case (at the bottom of the battery)
8. Tight screw so battery is held down from the bottom.
9. Attach plugs to Positive and Negative terminals and tighten the nuts.
10. Tighten the retaining bar back on and put the corner panel back.
11. Start your car and let it run for a couple of minutes and drive around the block.
13. If your car has the 4x4 warning come up all you have to do it sweep your steering wheel all the way to the left and than all the way to the right and this warning will go away.
14. If you didn't use the 12 volt source and lost power to the car, you must reset the date and time and also don't forget to reset the TPMS through the I-Drive.

After this is all completed you car should now be running fine and throwing no codes if done correctly: Call your nearest dealer or Indy shop and ask how much for "battery registration" You don't HAVE to do this but I would HIGHLY recommend it!!!
My one local dealer wanted $103.99 to register the new battery but another dealership through some talking to them opted to do it for FREE!!!

So my all in costs was $156 after the discount coupon code for advance auto and PA State tax of 6%

My dealer wanted $500 for battery replacement, installation and registering. This process I admit was a pain but with this information I already saved the leg work for you. I saved myself $344 doing the process this way!!!
Ads by Google
Old 05-30-2013, 01:49 PM

Here is two great youtube videos to show you battery replacement process.

Or:
Old 05-30-2013, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 535i X drive
Great Job !!! Good luck with the NEW battery and thanks again for the info.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM

If you like you can also replace the battery with and AGM battery (especially if you already have an AGM battery) The quickest way to tell if your current battery is black it is an AGM battery if it is white it is a FLA battery.

Batteries are rated by whether they are AGM (electrolyte is suspended in Absorbed Glass Mats) or standard Flooded Lead-Acid (FLA, but you won’t see that term on the label), ranking Amps (CA, at 32 degrees F), Cold Cranking Amps (CCA, at 0 degrees F), Reserve Capacity (RC), and Amp Hours (Ah). Most batteries don’t show Ah, but the OEM does.

The BMW OEM AGM is no longer made. It was a Banner (Austria), 900 CCA, 900 CA, 160 RC and 90 Ah, AGM type,.

After research, you can go to Autozone and for $169.99 buy a Duralast H8-AGM, which is an exact size AGM replacement with 850 CCA and 975 CA, RA 170.

Popping it the car was is no problem,(use the same steps as previously listed) It’s a little heavy and awkward to move in and out, but it fits exactly. It also hooks perfectly to the OEM vent hose, with a hole on the left, but since there is also a hole on the right on the Duralast you can cover that side with tape.

If you choose to go to an AGM style battery and your car previously used and FLA battery you MUST!!! I repeat YOU MUST get the battery registered!!! Preferably on the day you change out to the AGM battery already have an appointment set up at a dealer or Indy that they could register your battery for you.
Old 05-30-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skj69nyc View Post
Great Job !!! Good luck with the NEW battery and thanks again for the info.
Thank you! I put a great deal of time and effort so the next people don't have to!!!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 530xiT

Wow bookmarking this as I may soon need to replace my battery. Thanks & great write up!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-30-2013, 08:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geaff500 View Post
If you like you can also replace the battery with and AGM battery (especially if you already have an AGM battery) The quickest way to tell if your current battery is black it is an AGM battery if it is white it is a FLA battery.

Batteries are rated by whether they are AGM (electrolyte is suspended in Absorbed Glass Mats) or standard Flooded Lead-Acid (FLA, but you won't see that term on the label), ranking Amps (CA, at 32 degrees F), Cold Cranking Amps (CCA, at 0 degrees F), Reserve Capacity (RC), and Amp Hours (Ah). Most batteries don't show Ah, but the OEM does.

The BMW OEM AGM is no longer made. It was a Banner (Austria), 900 CCA, 900 CA, 160 RC and 90 Ah, AGM type,.

After research, you can go to Autozone and for $169.99 buy a Duralast H8-AGM, which is an exact size AGM replacement with 850 CCA and 975 CA, RA 170.

Popping it the car was is no problem,(use the same steps as previously listed) It's a little heavy and awkward to move in and out, but it fits exactly. It also hooks perfectly to the OEM vent hose, with a hole on the left, but since there is also a hole on the right on the Duralast you can cover that side with tape.

If you choose to go to an AGM style battery and your car previously used and FLA battery you MUST!!! I repeat YOU MUST get the battery registered!!! Preferably on the day you change out to the AGM battery already have an appointment set up at a dealer or Indy that they could register your battery for you.

Not only you will need to register the battery but if you change the type i.e going to AGM, you need to code the vehicle to tell it it'n an AGM battery instead. That may increase the overall cost as dealer may charge you extra for coding.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
what does the battery registering do? the reason I ask is I have read about it several times lately, but last year my 2004 545i battery died and would not take a charge (due to sitting in the garage on a trickle maintainer, it just now has 7,000 miles on it.
BMW refused to replace the battery under warranty, so I had the white bosch from the factory and pep boys had theirs on sale for about $100 I think so I bought it and installed it but I never "had it registered" what happens if you don't register it?
Old 05-30-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkotanto View Post
Not only you will need to register the battery but if you change the type i.e going to AGM, you need to code the vehicle to tell it it'n an AGM battery instead. That may increase the overall cost as dealer may charge you extra for coding.
Yes, thank you! I forgot to add this.

Let's make this thread the mega battery thread to answer all battery replacement questions once and for all.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james69z28 View Post
what does the battery registering do? the reason I ask is I have read about it several times lately, but last year my 2004 545i battery died and would not take a charge (due to sitting in the garage on a trickle maintainer, it just now has 7,000 miles on it.
BMW refused to replace the battery under warranty, so I had the white bosch from the factory and pep boys had theirs on sale for about $100 I think so I bought it and installed it but I never "had it registered" what happens if you don't register it?

BMW Battery Registration

The electrical system in late-model BMWs is so sophisticated that it tailors charging as closely as possible to both the type and age of the battery. There’s a computer that controls the alternator. When you replace a battery, this computer really needs to know if you’ve replaced the battery or updated the vehicle from a conventional Lead Acid battery to an Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) type; it charges the AGM differently than a traditional battery.

This process of updating the alternator-control computer is called Battery Registration. Ignoring the registration process after replacing a battery won’t necessarily trigger a Diagnostic Trouble Code or Malfunction Indicator Lamp (‘Check Engine’ or ‘Service Engine Soon’ light). However, be warned that skipping the battery registration process can dramatically shorten the life of a battery in these vehicles and- worse yet- damage components within the entire electrical system.

We have diagnosed some BMWs with failing batteries installed less than a year simply due to failing to have the battery registered! The charging system often shortens the life of an unregistered battery by charging it too aggressively, especially when it is cold, and sometimes damaging other control units. More than once, we have replaced an alternator that failed prematurely because battery registration was not performed when the vehicle’s battery was replaced.

Battery Registration informs the vehicle that the battery has been replaced. It completes the following operations:

· Battery capacity is set to 80%
· Current Odometer reading are stored
· Stored battery statistics (current, voltage, battery charge level) are deleted
· Stored temperature statistics are deleted

The following late-model vehicles require battery registration:

· 2002 and newer 7-Series E65/E66 chassis
· 2003 and newer 6-Series E54/E63 chassis
· 2004 and newer 5-Series E60/E61 chassis
· 2006 and newer 3-Series E90/E91/E92/E93 chassis
· 2007 and newer X5 E70 chassis
· 2008 and newer X6 E71 chassis

Don’t gamble, always have a new battery registered after installation at a BMW-qualified shop- it’s not expensive and will ensure a properly operating electrical system.

All dealers and SOME Indy's will have the equipment and the training to properly register your vehicle’s battery to factory specs, ensuring that manufacturer warranty requirements have been met.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james69z28 View Post
You should really have it done. It could save you a $1,000 alternator repair and stop many electrical gremlins that could arise from happening. It's NOT snake oil.

I've heard prices from dealers anywhere from (I will get mine done for free by asking nicely) $60 to $200 to register the battery and Indy shops anywhere from $21-75.

It's worth it for the piece of mind that everything is correct on the car.
Old 05-31-2013, 03:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i Sport M Package

Anyone know if good Indy in NJ that does registration?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:07 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
What part of NJ are you in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp9218 View Post
Anyone know if good Indy in NJ that does registration?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i Sport M Package

Central jersey - Monroe township

Old 06-04-2013, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i M Sport
Thanks, Geaf500. I went with the same Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto and it looks absolutely identical to the original except for the color. Took less than 15 minutes, including the 30 seconds it took to do the battery replacement adaptation using my Bavarian Technics cable. Two things to add to your instructions though. Be sure to pull the vent tube out of the battery before removing it and reinsert it into the new battery once it's in place. There's a vent on both sides of the battery but only one vent tube on the car so the other vent has to be plugged. It's not obvious, but the disposable red safety cover that comes with the replacement battery (used to protect the positive terminal during storage and transport) includes a vent plug. You're supposed to cut it off and insert it into the unused vent port which is the one towards the rear of the car.
Premium, Value, Cold Weather, Sport Auto, Navigation, Satellite, Logic 7, Comfort Access, Park Distance, Fold Down Rear Seats, Heated Rear Seats, Rear Side Airbags, JB4 G5 ISO, BMS DCIs, Proform Clear Bra, LUX H8 LED angel eyes
Old 06-13-2013, 07:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i
Very good info!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJtoad View Post
Thanks, Geaf500. I went with the same Autocraft Gold from Advance Auto and it looks absolutely identical to the original except for the color. Took less than 15 minutes, including the 30 seconds it took to do the battery replacement adaptation using my Bavarian Technics cable. Two things to add to your instructions though. Be sure to pull the vent tube out of the battery before removing it and reinsert it into the new battery once it's in place. There's a vent on both sides of the battery but only one vent tube on the car so the other vent has to be plugged. It's not obvious, but the disposable red safety cover that comes with the replacement battery (used to protect the positive terminal during storage and transport) includes a vent plug. You're supposed to cut it off and insert it into the unused vent port which is the one towards the rear of the car.
You're welcome bro, I wanted to make this a sticky because it could save people literally countless hours of leg work and ****ing around.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX550 View Post
Very good info!
Thanks!
Old 06-19-2013, 05:36 AM

Mein Auto: 545
Just to make absolutely sure!

Stuart's Paint & Body had to disconnect my battery the other day for some repair work. Damn you uninsured drivers!

Battery had previously been properly replaced & registered. Please tell me my registration info stays current despite the disconnect!

Stuart's by the way is the current location of the famously crashed F-40 Ferrari from the Fast & Loud show featuring Gas Monkey Garage.

Last edited by Damon54; 06-19-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: corvette/528xi
Excellent work/research!!! Kudos!!!

BUT will this savings stop the bagels, and coffee at the stealership????
Old 06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Drink E85 & inject Meth

Mein Auto: 2008 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon54 View Post
Just to make absolutely sure!

Stuart's Paint & Body had to disconnect my battery the other day for some repair work. Damn you uninsured drivers!

Battery had previously been properly replaced & registered. Please tell me my registration info stays current despite the disconnect!

Stuart's by the way is the current location of the famously crashed F-40 Ferrari from the Fast & Loud show featuring Gas Monkey Garage.
You can disconnect your battery as many times as want. No Problem!
Old 06-21-2013, 12:14 AM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Just bought the "VARTA Start Stop Plus G14 - 595 901 085". This is 95aH AGM and my E60 has old FLA 90aH battery. Anyone knows if this will cause any problem for me?

I yet have to install and do the registration, I believe I have to recode the car for changing the FLA to AGM battery.
Old 06-21-2013, 05:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Yes, coding plus registration is needed. Coding consists of deleting the old battery spec. from the VO (vehicle order) and adding the new one. There is no 95AH AGM regognised, but using the 90AH AGM should be acceptable.

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune
Old 06-21-2013, 03:17 PM
From DownUnder

Mein Auto: '04 525i M54 with 6HP19Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by legend700 View Post
Yes, coding plus registration is needed. Coding consists of deleting the old battery spec. from the VO (vehicle order) and adding the new one. There is no 95AH AGM regognised, but using the 90AH AGM should be acceptable.
Thanks Legend700, may I ask what is the code for lead-acid 90aH battery and the one for new AGM 90aH battery?

Also, I see KLASSE_BATTERIE in every single ECU module in my car, does that mean once the VO has been changed, I need to execute FA_Write into every single module or just CAS & LMA?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
kskane:
Please check the attachments. You only need to code CAS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Battery Coding Specs.JPG
Views:	381
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	383060   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW Battery VO coding specs.JPG
Views:	271
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	383061  

2008 535i Monaco Blue
PP, SP, SAT w/paddles, AS, CA, L7,
NAV, PDC, Heated F Seats, SIRIUS,
iPod+Aux, Bamboo Anthracite Trim,
Gray Dakota Leather, COBB tune

Last edited by legend700; 06-21-2013 at 07:02 PM.