Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 318i E46, 735i E65
Airbag errors!!!

Hi,

I am getting the below errors regrading resistance too low or high for front driver and rear left passenger airbags.

9649 and 9A6B

BMW workshop concluded that its a wiring problem and need 700 euro for repairs.
My local workshop told that BMW is wrong as BMW didnt check wires physically and just relying on diagnosis and they checked the wires physically and the problem is with the actual airbags, not the wiring and changing the airbags will fix the issue and estimated around 600 euros

I want to do the repair by myself now (as I need money to repair faulty Catalystic converter which wants 1500 euros) and confused if i have to repair wiring or just change the airbags

I have to get both airbags and Kat repaired for my car to pass verification this month as per German regulation and I already spent a fortune on this car since Feb

please suggest

Last edited by chowdarygm; 05-31-2013 at 04:15 PM.
Advertisement
Old 05-31-2013, 04:57 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E65 745i
Right, first thing, do you have INPA? if not get it! In my opinion you cannot own a 7 without it!

Read codes, interrogate the module in question and read the analog values for the faulty airbags. make a note of the value (too high or too low) remove the airbag and read the values again.

Short the wires going to the arbag connector with some wire, with the airbags removed of course! read the analogue values for the firing circuit now, if there is still significant resistance then the wiring is at fault, if not the the airbag itself is faulty.

You can fit a low resistance load to the firing circuit to fool the airbag module into thinking a good airbag is fitted if you need to pass an inspection soon.

Post up your results here and I can advise

Stuart
Old 05-31-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuartjohn24 View Post
Right, first thing, do you have INPA? if not get it! In my opinion you cannot own a 7 without it!

Read codes, interrogate the module in question and read the analog values for the faulty airbags. make a note of the value (too high or too low) remove the airbag and read the values again.

Short the wires going to the arbag connector with some wire, with the airbags removed of course! read the analogue values for the firing circuit now, if there is still significant resistance then the wiring is at fault, if not the the airbag itself is faulty.

You can fit a low resistance load to the firing circuit to fool the airbag module into thinking a good airbag is fitted if you need to pass an inspection soon.

Post up your results here and I can advise

Stuart
Hi Stuart,

your expertise is what I need now to save my @$$ as I spent too much money on this car in last 4 months

Yes, I have INPA (also DIS, Win32 etc.) but only know the basic functions of reading codes and clearing them

attached today's result

but technically I am not that good at electricals so little scared of playing with airbag and don't know how to short wires (so stupid of me)

which section in INPA will help to find values?

also one thing, rear door was giving 'Resistance too low' before my local workshop opened the wiring and today its giving 'Resistance too High' --- whats your view on this?

Many Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	e65error_31-05_after clearing.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	379584  

Last edited by chowdarygm; 05-31-2013 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2013, 05:14 PM

Right, from what you have said with it being too low and now too high and the rear door, it sounds like a common problem its to do with the connector between the door and the car. I thin the dealer jumped to this conclusion too.

You need to go into E65 in inpa then 'Safety' and then select the satellite module storing the error code, once in that menu select 'values' or something on the bottom of the screen, it should display analog values for the firing circuits. Press the down arrow on your keyboard to flick between pages.

Personally I would try and repair the wring myself but you say your not too confident with that, Im sure its just contamination on the contacts in the connectors, pulling them apart and mating them a few times should clean them up a bit. Have a look online for a technical service bulletin regarding the airbags in the rear doors.

Stuart
Old 05-31-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Right, from what you have said with it being too low and now too high and the rear door, it sounds like a common problem its to do with the connector between the door and the car. I thin the dealer jumped to this conclusion too.

You need to go into E65 in inpa then 'Safety' and then select the satellite module storing the error code, once in that menu select 'values' or something on the bottom of the screen, it should display analog values for the firing circuits. Press the down arrow on your keyboard to flick between pages.

Personally I would try and repair the wring myself but you say your not too confident with that, Im sure its just contamination on the contacts in the connectors, pulling them apart and mating them a few times should clean them up a bit. Have a look online for a technical service bulletin regarding the airbags in the rear doors.

Stuart
Thank you very much

will get the INPA values tomorrow and post here

I have bought full door wiring harness for back door, you think its easy to change the wiring harness and it might help ?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 PM

Not a problem, glad to help.

Yeah get INPA values for the modules throwing errors and take it from there.

Yeah its worth removing the door card and connecting it to the airbag and the door connector and see if it clears the fault code.

Stuart
Old 05-31-2013, 05:35 PM

found the below link explaining the error code I have

http://bmw.workshop-manuals.com/7_Se...dex.php?id=183

explained in detail but I understood a little

Stuart, can you see if you understand it better and its very easy thing ?
Old 05-31-2013, 05:43 PM

Yes thats what I was trying to explain, its a high resistance condition in the wiring loom, the instructions tell you how to fit a repair harness, its pretty easy just cutting and fitting new wires.

Stuart
Old 05-31-2013, 06:04 PM

Re: Airbag errors!!!

Quote:
Yes thats what I was trying to explain, its a high resistance condition in the wiring loom, the instructions tell you how to fit a repair harness, its pretty easy just cutting and fitting new wires.

Stuart
Now I am little confident. ... will keep you updated. ..

Thank you very much

Sent from my GT-I9505 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 PM

Hi below are the attached values.......

I opened the rear door panel but the wiring is so complicated....I couldn't change the whole wiring with my limited tools.....

can you see anything with the values ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Airbag-09_01.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	380991   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW-Airbag-09_02_rearDoorleft.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	380992  
Old 08-08-2013, 01:48 PM

today I worked on airbag errors for 2 hours and

cleaned the connectors....No use
replaced the airbag.........No use
replaced the wire between airbag and B-Pillar connector...No use

now I cant get it fixed without giving it to BMW and pay 800 euros...... I hate this car now