Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-01-2013, 08:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 330xi
first gear slow to engage on cold start.

two mornings in a row this has happened. I have not done the transmission oil change so I would not think it is a fluid issue unless I have an undetected leak. the e46 fanatics page says it could be normal but there is no way this is normal. they also mentioned a solenoid not building pressure and or a software issue. all of this sounds great to me since no one mentions it being anything major. it just became hot outside I wonder if this could have anything to do with it or is it that sensor somewhere in the car that says you just fixed a bunch of stuff for now it's time for something else to break.
"I wrote them a letter that said I'll never come home, but did not send it and wrote it again and again; stacked up to the ceiling, and then another stack, and burned them all winter for heat."- Steve Albini
Ads by Google
Old 06-01-2013, 08:07 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler000 View Post
two mornings in a row this has happened. I have not done the transmission oil change so I would not think it is a fluid issue unless I have an undetected leak. the e46 fanatics page says it could be normal but there is no way this is normal. they also mentioned a solenoid not building pressure and or a software issue. all of this sounds great to me since no one mentions it being anything major. it just became hot outside I wonder if this could have anything to do with it or is it that sensor somewhere in the car that says you just fixed a bunch of stuff for now it's time for something else to break.
You might have answered you own question...ATF is not "Lifetime Fluid" (an idea which has been pimped by BMW for 15 years now). Try a drain & refill (no Power Flush) and see if there`s any improvement.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 AM

hey Bob thanks. I wonder how much time I have to get to this. one of the reasons I tried DIY because I do not have time during the week to take my car to a shop but I have no way of getting my car off the ground at home as I'm sure is a problem for almost all of us so I would have to have this done professionally. am I in danger of injuring the transmission if I procrastinate?
"I wrote them a letter that said I'll never come home, but did not send it and wrote it again and again; stacked up to the ceiling, and then another stack, and burned them all winter for heat."- Steve Albini
Old 06-01-2013, 10:14 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
[QUOTE=wheeler000;7623502]hey Bob thanks. I wonder how much time I have to get to this. one of the reasons I tried DIY because I do not have time during the week to take my car to a shop but I have no way of getting my car off the ground at home as I'm sure is a problem for almost all of us so I would have to have this done professionally. am I in danger of injuring the transmission if I procrastinate?[/QUOTE]

Let`s just say "The sooner the better"....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-01-2013, 10:41 AM

the more I look into this it sounds like the old no reverse problem but substituting first for reverse. since it drives good as new wanted to just even a little bit warmed up I'm thinking this solenoid thing sounds very much like the culprit. something about the screen being clogged. I think my next cold start I'm going to go ahead and put it in manual and see what that does.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:36 PM

update: my car stoped doing all of the above for the last 2 or 3 weeks now until today when it sat in 90 degree heat for about 32 hours without being driven and it decided to slip through two or three gears within about an eighth of a mile and then it was fine. I'm not sure what to think other than just keep monitoring it.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto: 325Ci, 325Cic, C300
Did you do the fluid change as suggested? How many miles?

Transmissions are better served when you look into symptoms as soon as you can. If the clutch packs are indeed slipping because of really contaminated fluid, or maybe low level, addressing it sooner rather than later will be best. When the clutch packs get glazed over from excessive slip for example, you now have another issue. When it starts slipping you also generate more heat, at the risk of hardening the piston seals. Any yet another issue.

You'll have to be proactive with this one. Get something to scan your transmission codes, and in the meantime think about doing a D&F on that fluid. At this age, you'll want to verify the fluid level anyway.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:38 AM

is there a traditional linkage on these transmissions,...the steptronic automatic? this is my theory and the reason I ask: if there is a linkage then I guessthat the hot weather might expand the metal and it is not actually getting into drive. I'm just trying to figure out why it would be intermittent to the extent of it slipping once in 3 weeks. what is it about the fluid that could cause this to happen? if it's low or dirty it's constantly low or dirty, right?

Last edited by wheeler000; 06-24-2013 at 05:41 AM.