Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:33 PM

Mein Auto: 10' 750li, 11' X5 3.5D
The NEW Escalade ESV when it comes out next year with fold flat seats and if it doesn't have them, then an LX570 or one of the new pickups that'll be coming out. I may be wrong but will NEVER own a bimmer outside of a warranty. If I stick with this, I'll buy the best BMW warranty I can find. Mine's a loaded out super X5 but just need the peace of mind of a quality warranty where I can drive into the dealer, hand them the keys and have it fixed with no questions.

Presently---
'15 M4, Metallic Sapphire Black,
'07 Ferrari F430

Previous--
'11 X5 3.5d, Metallic Sapphire Black,
'10 750 Li, Metallic Sapphire, Black, Loaded
'07 M6, Silverstone
'07 650i, Mineral Silver Metallic, Cream Beige Leather, Cold Weather pkg,, Sport Pkg, Steptronic, Comfort Access, HUD, Sirius, & L7 Sound
2007 Z4M Coupe Saphire Black Metallic
2004 X3 Grey
2003 330i Red
1988 528e Gunmetal
1979 320i Black
Old 06-03-2013, 07:01 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I'm not sure I'll need another SUV. But if I do, I expect it would be a question of whatever is AFTER the F15!

I like this answer.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:18 AM
East Coast Commuter

Mein Auto: 435/x3 35
I really think I am going to keep my E70. We like it and it does not get driven very much so the miles are low. My one month old M3 has 2800 miles on it and the 7 month old x5 has 4900. It is looking more and more like the x5 will stay and the m3 will go back at lease end. My question is what will replace the m3. M4, Porsche Panamera, M5 or used M6. That is my list. If I were to replace the x5M it would be with another x5M (despite my not loving the new look), ML 63 AMG or a Cayenne GTS. Those are the only three SUV's that I really like.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 AM

Mein Auto: X5 xDrive 35i
Im gonna get flamed for this...but the new Jeep GC overland/summit are pretty legit.

Im in the market for a SUV and looking mainly at the 2011 BMW X5 35i or a new 2014 JGC overland.

For around 44K out the door you can get a fully loaded overland with a lot more features than the X5. It sure as hell doesnt drive like the X5, but is more "SUV" capable and a better warranty. Most Jeep dealerships (Chrysler as well) will give loaners while in service now too.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
^^ Why would you get flamed and do you care about the dealership experience?

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 06-05-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35i Sport Sapphire
I have to agree the JEEP is nice! I test drove one and it actually felt very close to the X5. But.... the prices are also very similar to the X5, just a bit lower, so for what it is, it was a no brainer for me to go with the X5, again.

Retired

1999 Prelude SH / Pearl White /
2007 X3 Sport / Jet Black /
2010 X5 Sport / Sapphire Black /

Current
2013 X5 M-Sport / M-Power / Alpine White /
Old 06-05-2013, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: German

F15 looks really good in this angle.
Old 06-05-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0428 View Post
I have to agree the JEEP is nice! I test drove one and it actually felt very close to the X5. But.... the prices are also very similar to the X5, just a bit lower, so for what it is, it was a no brainer for me to go with the X5, again.
Yeah, it's not a bad SUV at all, but it is overpriced. A loaded diesel model is over $50k.

Worst thing is their pathetic reliability and their dealers are terrible.
Old 06-06-2013, 10:06 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5, F10 535i
I wasn't sure about the F15 from the pics but, based on the video showing the 3 generations of X5 I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. If I don't go into another X5 I really want a CPO Gwagon or if I decide to downsize getting into an Evoque.
Old 06-06-2013, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I wasn't sure about the F15 from the pics but, based on the video showing the 3 generations of X5 I like it a lot more than I thought I was going to. If I don't go into another X5 I really want a CPO Gwagon or if I decide to downsize getting into an Evoque.
I was seriously considering dumping my X5 for an Evoque last year after my car got hit, but I'm glad I didn't. I've driven it multiple times and it's just mediocre. Not to mention, the neighbor with a beautiful blue Evoque parks next to my spot. In the last few months, I've seen the Jaguar loaner more in that spot than his Evoque
Old 06-06-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I was seriously considering dumping my X5 for an Evoque last year after my car got hit, but I'm glad I didn't. I've driven it multiple times and it's just mediocre. Not to mention, the neighbor with a beautiful blue Evoque parks next to my spot. In the last few months, I've seen the Jaguar loaner more in that spot than his Evoque
That is exactly what stopped me from doing it when my previous E70 lease was up. That and it somehow cost more to lease than if I were to buy it.

I test drove one and actually liked it more than I expected but, for me to bite the bullet it would ideally need be about 20% larger, 10% cheaper and have about another 50Hp.

I go through this nostalgic Rover love affair with mental images of driving over lush green fields to go fly fishing, while there is a fox hunt going on in the distance every time I'm getting a new car and every time I'm stopped by images of a new rover stuck on the side of the road with the hood up in pouring down rain and various electrical gremlins making the dash light up like Christmas.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 06-06-2013 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
You will get much more off the sticker on the GC than you will with a current model BMW. Pathetic reliability? The Jeep GC Overland I traded in for this POS BMW X5 was more reliable and a far better driving experience than the 2013 X5. In this area - the Jeep dealer and the BMW dealer are the same company. The BMW sales experience is better but the after sales is the same. Well, except the BMW dealer has better coffee and a more comfortable waiting room. BMW is nothing but a badge heavy brand now. They are decontenting most every model to the point that the "luxury" part is questionable. Picking a BMW now is more about the name these days than most any other factor. I thought I had made a giant mistake when I traded my 2008 X5 for a 2012 Jeep GC Overland, so I took a 10k hit and traded the Jeep on the 2013 X5. Now I am losing 13K trading the X5 in since I can't seem to find a sucker anywhere that wants to buy this pile of crap. I am not a Jeep fanboy, nor do I respect the Chrysler brand particularly, but I am certain that the Jeep was and is a better overall decision than the 2013 X5.

Last edited by Bitwhacker; 06-06-2013 at 04:04 PM.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:28 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35d
I won't get another SUV since this one will last me past F15. Tesla is more interest to me.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: X5 Premium SAV
I'm 2/3 of the way through my 3 year lease on my X5 Premium 3.5. With fewer than 30K on the dial and having had a very positive experience up to this point I'm inclined to buy it outright rather than send it back. In 15 years I've never done that before. And after a few year I'll be able to see how the LCI F15 ends up. The only other vehicle that interests me presently is the Cayenne. I never liked the old body style, but I do find the present one quite appealing.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Having owned a Jeep GC as my dog / snow car until about 18 months ago, I was holding out for the 2014 Jeep GC Diesel. While Jeep launched the model with great fanfare at NAIAS last January and the cars have been advertised on TV as well as tested by all the car magazines, the US diesel production keeps getting pushed back. According to the Jeep forum that I was following religiously the Diesel was supposed to start production in February and has slowly been pushed out to July - meaning the cars won't be on dealer lots until Sept at the earliest. That is if Jeep does not kill the diesel entirely for the US as is being discussed on the Jeep forums.
Being a long time BMW owner and enthusiast, I pulled the trigger on a loaded low mileage 2012 X5. Plan is to keep it at least through the 7 year 100k miles platinum warranty I will be purchasing. I am hoping for even longer term ownership as I have had many BMW's go past 200k miles. Not sure if it's possible with all the electronic garbage on the newer cars, not to mention that I am not getting any younger or any more tolerant of car trouble as time passes. No idea what the future brings past the E70 for dog / snow car as I hope it is a few years out, but the E70 is as big as I want to park in San Francisco so I might downsize.

Old 06-06-2013, 10:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5
I was considering ML350 then they messed up that beautiful bold front end and slapped a rabbit's face.
I really like the Q7 but since I am leasing, I am told their residual is terrible, so I don't want to be the one picking up the tab for rest of it's life after first 3 years, but I still like it.
I always loved the cayenne, but after looking at how much each tiny option costs, and how standard equipment leaves a lot behind, I think I will eventually pass it, plus when I hear Cayenne, I feel Toureg, not that there is anything wrong with that, but why go with a cayenne (unless it is GTS or Turbo) when you can go with Q7 or Toureg.
I am just over halfway through my 3 yr lease, it will be up '14 Sept. I am also considering 5 series, but I will have to compare overall size to X5.

Range Rover was something that I seriously considered, they soften it up as well, now it looks like a very fancy ford vehicle, again, nothing wrong with ford, but it just feels like RRhas turned into a vehicle with a lot of unnecessary luxury increasing the ticket price.

So, I might end up sticking with BMW and getting an F15 after all.
PS: Grand Cherokee Overland Summit is an awesome vehicle. After owning a Jeep for 8+ yrs, I can say that their services also has come a long way in terms of quality. Chrysler got rid of a lot of sketchy under-performing dealers. If one doesn't care about having the top of the line vehicle, just normal Limited GC would suit a lot of people well and at a very nice price. SRT 8, that's a totally different story..

If anyone has a tiny bit of redneckness in them (like myself) it wouldn't be a shock to hear that I considered a loaded F150.. (did someone say yuck?) Well, if you drove an F150 recently, you will know what I am talking about.. That's one smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable mean beast at a very reasonable price..

Last edited by hyde; 06-06-2013 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-07-2013, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwhacker View Post
You will get much more off the sticker on the GC than you will with a current model BMW. Pathetic reliability? The Jeep GC Overland I traded in for this POS BMW X5 was more reliable and a far better driving experience than the 2013 X5. In this area - the Jeep dealer and the BMW dealer are the same company. The BMW sales experience is better but the after sales is the same. Well, except the BMW dealer has better coffee and a more comfortable waiting room. BMW is nothing but a badge heavy brand now. They are decontenting most every model to the point that the "luxury" part is questionable. Picking a BMW now is more about the name these days than most any other factor. I thought I had made a giant mistake when I traded my 2008 X5 for a 2012 Jeep GC Overland, so I took a 10k hit and traded the Jeep on the 2013 X5. Now I am losing 13K trading the X5 in since I can't seem to find a sucker anywhere that wants to buy this pile of crap. I am not a Jeep fanboy, nor do I respect the Chrysler brand particularly, but I am certain that the Jeep was and is a better overall decision than the 2013 X5.
I'm not trying to piss you off but, it sounds like you've just made some bad decisions and are going to let your anger over them push you into making another one. Personally if I were already that far in the hole I would ride out the X5 as long as it has a warranty instead of losing even more cash by overreacting and jumping into something else. I'll disregard the reliability part of it because you can't know that until it's too late but, if the Jeep drove better has a lot of the same options and you knew you were going to lose $10K how did you talk yourself into making the leap back to an X5?

When it was all said and done I got a considerable amount off sticker on my X5d. I have friends that recently bought an JGC Overland and they couldn't get a third of what I got off MSRP and they had a horrible buying experience. And while my X5 has been totally trouble free they keep having issues with jeeps version of comfort access.

So basically... While I'm sorry you are having a bad experience with your X5, it doesn't mean we all are.

Last edited by hotrod2448; 06-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-07-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: E70 x5 3.0sd
The E70 is staying put for now, the F15 just has too much X3 influence for my liking. Maybe the RR Sport!
Old 06-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod2448 View Post
I'm not trying to piss you off but, it sounds like you've just made some bad decisions and are going to let your anger over them push you into making another one. Personally if I were already that far in the hole I would ride out the X5 as long as it has a warranty instead of losing even more cash by overreacting and jumping into something else. I'll disregard the reliability part of it because you can't know that until it's too late but, if the Jeep drove better has a lot of the same options and you knew you were going to lose $10K how did you talk yourself into making the leap back to an X5?

When it was all said and done I got a considerable amount off sticker on my X5d. I have friends that recently bought an JGC Overland and they couldn't get a third of what I got off MSRP and they had a horrible buying experience. And while my X5 has been totally trouble free they keep having issues with jeeps version of comfort access.

So basically... While I'm sorry you are having a bad experience with your X5, it doesn't mean we all are.
I would second that statement. Having monitored the WK2 Jeep forum for a long time and being fairly active since the launch of the redesigned 2014 version, it seems there are reports of issues with the radio / nav units and folks are reporting funky noises from various places as well as forced shut downs on the side of the road.
I have also driven the 2014 V6 and V8 powered GC's and while it's a nice vehicle and the price point is attractive compared to the German competition, there are traces of the 28k base price for the Laredo E entry version even on the higher level trims if you look hard enough. Couple that with the fact that Jeep has delayed the launch of the diesel month after month (which to me means there are problems) I would minimally give it until the 2015 model year the the kinks are worked out before jumping.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d
I think the BMW diesels are more reliable than their gasoline counterparts. For 2014 they have the 25d, 35d, and 50d, and probably other variants sold only in Europe, where they seem to have more experience and focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitwhacker View Post
Old 06-07-2013, 03:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 X5 3.0si
Ford F150 Platinum with the 6.2L V8 and aftermarket supercharger
Old 06-07-2013, 03:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
SUV: Touareg TDI
Non-SUV: Volvo XC70 T6

However, as I plan to keep the current vehicles another 10 years,
Old 06-07-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Im not one to buy vehicles every few years. In addition to my 2012 X5, I also own a 94 Toyota camry and 02 F-150. My warranty is up on the X in February 2016. I love this truck, I bought it new feb of 2012 and only have 6,500 miles on it so far. I just use it for out of town trips. Im not one to always trade up to the latest and greatest. I love the interior of the F15 but don't like the exterior. This is my first BMW and im gonna try to keep it until 2022. I don't plan on purchasing an extended warranty, hopefully I wont need one.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 / '12 E70d
So long as it stays reliable (knock on wood, it did something very funny earlier this week), we're probably going to buy out the lease on our E70 35d when it's time. My wife and I both love it, and it gets nearly 30 mpg on trips if you drive it well, which is incredible. Love the torque and responsiveness in all of the local driving too. The third row comes in handy too, we use it quite a bit. It's crammed back there of course, but it works for us for now, and best of all it still fits in the garage, with just two inches to spare.

Wife isn't crazy about the new one. Says it looks "squished". We don't need to have the latest and greatest either. We still have her 2002 Toyota Highlander as a third/backup vehicle, and it's a perfectly good car.

HR&G Full Review: 2014 F33 428i M-Sport Convertible (my side auto-journo gig)
Old 06-08-2013, 12:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
I have three choices right now. F15, new Q7, and Cayenne. Waiting on the F15/Q7 before making my ultimate decision.
Can't go wrong with either of these. Q7 gives you some additional cargo room. If you don't need it and handling is a priority, then go with the Cayenne. I plan on keeping my 2012 X5 for a while. But I have been thinking about a Cayenne S as a replacement down the road just to try something new that handles as good or better than the X5.