Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 06-01-2013, 09:20 AM

Mein Auto: x5 4.8is
4x4 light on

the 4x4 light wont go out and self leveling will not go up or down with the switch but nothing else is going wrong truck rides fine any input from anyone what might be the cause of this
Ads by Google
Old 06-01-2013, 03:01 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephsal View Post
the 4x4 light wont go out and self leveling will not go up or down with the switch but nothing else is going wrong truck rides fine any input from anyone what might be the cause of this
Check your battery, my 4x4 light went on when my battery needed to be replaced. Its pretty common symptom of a dying battery. As for the problems with your X I dont have any input because I havent experienced that issue. Anyways I'm sure another member on these forums can help. Best of luck with your X!
Old 06-02-2013, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: X5 E70 '10 & M3 E92 '08
I have a 06 X5 30i and the 4x4 light came on just over a week ago. my wife flattened the battery a few weeks back by leaving the glove box open over a week while I was away. Not sure if its related but some threads suggest that low battery less than 12.2 volts can cause some problems. Anyway, I charged up the battery and can't get the light out as it stays on. No other warning lights have been on. I have tried lock to lock and disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu to no avail as the light is still on.. appreciate any suggestions for checking. I have ordered a OBD2 analyzer which hope to get this week.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 X5 4.4
Is that the only warning light on? or are there others dsc,abs? I had same issue all warning lights on. found a shop that could read the codes from the OBDII had a transfer case failure code don't remember the exact pid but. Found on line that when this occures the transfer case acuator motor doesnt fail, the plastic gear does. I removed to check and the gear was stripped. Rather then bend over and replace with oem parts when all that is needed is the gear. I ordered the gear from speadometer gears online. They also have a diy site to assist you when you replace the gear instead of the complete unit from bmw. Replaced the gear and all warning lights went out,been fine since.