Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics

Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics
BMW navigation, audio upgrades, XM Radio, Sirius, Bluetooth, and Radar Detector discussions here!

Old 08-24-2004, 01:32 PM
Urban Knucklebuster

Mein Auto: '01 325xit & '93 300zx TT
Aux Audio Input: Which Part No. for 2001 E46 "Touring"? Use Coupe, Sedan, Convt?

My dealer says there is no application for my 2001 325xi "Touring". (The car does not have NAV or a CD exchanger)

The parts guy at Country BMW (Southhampton, NY) says he can find p/n's for the coupe, the convertible and the sedan; but not the wagon. He even called Montclair New Jersey for clarification. They said there is no Aux Audio Input upgrade available for the wagon.

I have searched the various forums and found write ups on the installs, and other facts and I have to believe someone has fitted their 2001 E46 Touring with the Aux Audio Input cable.

Short of pulling the head unit; taking it to a parts counter, and finding a connector end that fits....Has anyone an idea on how to determine which cable/connector to utilize?

300ZX StgIII (360 rwhp@16 psi) // '97 Jag XK8 - Luxor Cruiser
// 325xit - Best Balance of Ride & Handling

Last edited by gordo325xiwagon; 08-24-2004 at 01:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-24-2004, 01:47 PM
There and back again

Mein Auto: 2003 325xiT, 2006 Atom
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo325xiwagon
My dealer says there is no application for my 2001 325xi "Touring". (The car does not have NAV or a CD exchanger)

The parts guy at Country BMW (Southhampton, NY) says he can find p/n's for the coupe, the convertible and the sedan; but not the wagon. He even called Montclair New Jersey for clarification. They said there is no Aux Audio Input upgrade available for the wagon.
That is very strange. The BMW Aux Input kit only applies to model year 2003 (start-of-production 09/2002) and later cars. The kit isn't dependent on the body style, only on whether or not you have NAV.

In order to use the BMW Aux Input kit on a pre-MY2003 non-NAV car, you'll need a new radio head unit and the BMW Aux Input adapter kit. I think at least one person on this board has done this.
Old 08-24-2004, 01:56 PM
Urban Knucklebuster

What other options then for a 2001??

Hi Terry.... So for a 2001, my options to hard wire an IPod audio connection is either the Icelink or Dennison applications?

I am currently using the Griffen iTrip FM transponder.

Old 08-24-2004, 03:34 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Hi Terry.... So for a 2001, my options to hard wire an IPod audio connection is either the Icelink or Dennison applications?
There are a number of adapters out there that will give you an Aux-In off the CD changer wires in the trunk, either with or without a changer. BlitzSafe and Peripheral Products are two I've heard of.

Of course, that gets you a source in the trunk, so you have to run the audio wires somewhere useful (center console, glove box, etc.).

If you think you might add satellite radio (either the BMW Sirius kit or the XM Direct kit), I'd suggest swapping the radio head unit out. You can probably sell your old one on eBay.

Note: The above is advice for this particular poster (who has a non-NAV car). With NAV, this swap is a lot more painful.
Old 08-24-2004, 04:06 PM
Urban Knucklebuster

Has anyone just tapped into the CD changer input at the head unit?

Like you I have a wagon, and the harness connectors for the CD changer are behind the left rear pop off panel. However, I assume the audio input harness must eventually end up at the head unit.

Maybe this is getting too complicated....but it seems feasible to just tap into the harness as it enters the Head unit. I know, easier said than done...I have looked at BMW schematics.....gordo

Old 08-24-2004, 04:20 PM
There and back again

Quote:
Like you I have a wagon, and the harness connectors for the CD changer are behind the left rear pop off panel. However, I assume the audio input harness must eventually end up at the head unit.
In a non-NAV car I expect that is the case. For a car w/ NAV, they go to the BM53 radio in the back (in the case of a wagon, under the trunk floor).

But the connectors you need for an adapter are back there, so it makes more sense to run the stereo audio cable back up to the front from the trunk, rather than trying to relocate the adapter.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330i
Quote:
.but it seems feasible to just tap into the harness as it enters the Head unit. I know, easier said than done...I have looked at BMW schematics.....gordo

I think its slightly more complex than that, only because something has to tell the head unit that there is an AUX input attached. Otherwise, how will the radio even "listen" to the input c coming into the head? I think the radio needs a "MODE" button to be pressed so that it will listen to a line-level input, otherwise, the radio only knows about AM/FM and the internal CD player.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:26 PM
Urban Knucklebuster

Yeah, I guessed that would be the case. I really just want better sound than iTrip

The iTrip is a somewhat flat. I want the clarity that comes from a hard wire connection.

Since I am a 2001; there is no hope of using the aux audio input adaptor. Therefore, I think I should just get a trunk CD changer link, and run the cabling up to the Consul mounted IPod.

I alread have unswitched power from the glove box rechargable flashlight power adaptor.

There is no Nav or CD Changer so they are not an issue.

Last edited by gordo325xiwagon; 08-24-2004 at 06:40 PM.