Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E21 (1975 - 1983)

E21 (1975 - 1983)

Old 06-03-2013, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 1981 BMW 320i
Can someone give me an honest opinion about the value of my e21?

Hello, I am moving and I need to sell my 1981 Alpine 320i BMW. I have been trying to figure out what it's worth and I see so many prices ranges from a few hundred to thousands of dollars. I'm hoping someone can give me an honest opinion about the value of my car? What would you pay?

1981 BMW 320i automatic 2 door Alpine white with tan leather
Just under 106,000 miles
1.8L 4 Cylinder

I am the second owner. Car is from southern CA and has never been driven in snow before. Everything on this is pretty much original/stock. Stock rims, I even have the original floor mats. No rust at all. No accidents. Cars title is completely clean.
A couple things have been replaced since I got it including the rear axles, new gas tank & hoses. Trunk has a new seal. Brand new tires less than 1000 miles ago.
Only problems is car sometimes take a few tries to start when it's really cold out and one of the original headlights is a bit cloudy. Radio/Clock doesn't work. Other than that, this car is mint. This car was purchased without the A/C option.

I have seen a similar car posted on CL recently near me for $6000. The difference is it is an '82 and has about 25k miles less on it. This is the CL ad I was looking at http://hudsonvalley.craigslist.org/cto/3813846657.html. My car looks very similar, but not sure if they are worth the same price.

Can anyone help me out?

Last edited by grapesoda; 06-04-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-05-2013, 04:00 PM

Mein Auto: z3

My response is based on economics - people will pay what they think something's worth despite the price someone else has put on it.

I have been looking at these cars 1980's 320i's and on eBay most want upwards of $5000 but bids are around $3500-$4000. Hope that helps.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMWs/Ford trk/British M/C
Value

It is worth what someone pays you -

+'s
Low mileage, Calif Car (no rust or to be fair less rust), paint appears to be good, well maintained (you do have records, right?), good interior (assumption on my part)

-'s
automatic transmission, lack of any performance items (stock ones ie: recaro seats, LSD), lack of a passenger side mirror

buyer preference
the automatic transmission might be a plus since to some this might be "just" transportation

The M10 engine might also appeal to others for economy and reliability

For an enthusiast a manual transmission with an M20 or other engine swap might raise the value

In the NW I might look for $4500 ask $5000
How bad to you need money and how fast do you need it gone?

The cost of ownership does not end when a car is for sale
GLWS
Old 07-29-2013, 07:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 3 Series
Depends on how long you are willing to wait to sell the car and whether
it's at all possible for you to keep it if you can't sell it for a
price you can live with. If you can't take the car with you, you have
no choice but to sell it at the highest offer you will get.
I would start by asking somewhere between $5,000 and $6,000.

Last edited by Zochin60; 07-29-2013 at 07:12 AM.