Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 06-11-2013, 10:17 AM

Mein Auto: 00 540i MSpor-06 X5 4.4i
got all parts in..replaced all control arms/upper/lower/thrust arms and tie rod ends in the front..new hubs/bearings, rotors,pads,calipers/carriers,sliders, stainless lines, flushed all the fluid front and rear, new fan and fan clutch, wipers, taillight bulbs,a set of colder plugs.. installed the coilovers with camber pillowball mounts, torqued all the wheels by hand to spec in star pattern..dropped off at the stealership for front end alignment.

so well know in about a month ...i do about 250 miles a week.. now i need to get help with wheels and tires, i hsavent gotten one reply iin the wheels section lol

i want to thank all you guys for your help and the free knowledge you all give up willingly, i know that experience and knowledgge you guys share didnt come to you easy or for free... it ame by sweat tears and money...thanks for helping me out guys
Old 07-04-2013, 03:25 PM

so far so good..no rotor warping...
Old 01-13-2014, 05:11 PM

i thought i would update this... as you guys know ive been trying to fihgure out why only the front left is warping...

to date it has all knew control arms,hubs, bearings, idler arms...etc etc ...basically a completely new front suspension and steering, when i had the rotors cut , i tightened the wheels in a star pattern...hell ive replaced even the entire rear suspension just in case it was causing a problem..

i make sure to bed the pads in right, and i never keep my foot on the brakes at stops

after about 3900 milles, the front left rotor is shaking again...

ive also noticed that my 2006 x5 is afflilcted with the same disease, on it i replaced the whole left side suspension and at about 4k miles it starts to shake and as the mileage increases the shake worsens depending on how hot the rotors get

ive talked to my bmw mech and he says that they change alot of rotors because of the front left warping for some reason..so im at a loss i basically have two sets of rotors for both vehicles and i swap them out about every 18 months, i stopped driving so much....is the only fix i have come up with...i find it strange that my x5 warpds the same rotor...

thanks for all the help and insight fellas
Old 01-13-2014, 05:45 PM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
brake hose... or maybe you dont know how to drive.. and or you need to step your stopping power up... (drilled rotors)
Old 01-13-2014, 06:22 PM

i do ok in the driving department lol... but theres always that chance that i just cant drive, i use brembo drilled rotors on the 540... you could be right, maybe i need to just get some big brakes .. but why is it always the left only...never the right
Old 04-06-2014, 05:43 AM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Another thread on repeated vibration is here, today:
Warped rotors again
Your job, in return, is to read the suggested threads, where the best people will always add value to those threads, either by pictures or by descriptions, so the next person with the same problem stands on your shoulders.
See also: E39 Bestlinks & How to easily find what you need
Old 04-06-2014, 11:02 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
Another thread on repeated vibration is here, today:
Warped rotors again

This thread seems to have been solved via new caliper and/or caliper slide pins. Seeing as it is only happening on the left side.

Knownworldwide
Old 04-06-2014, 11:03 AM
INSANELY UNPREDICTABLE!

Mein Auto: 1984 318i
Also stainless steel lines aren't bought to avoid boiling your brake fluid. That wasn't an accurate statement.

Knownworldwide