Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 01-28-2008, 10:26 AM
BMW Client Advisor

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Playing DVD's in your new X5

Long time lurker and a BMW CA........
Don't know if this has been covered here but here's some interesting information

If you purchase the Premium Sound Package in a new X5 (2008) you will get a 6 disc dvd player in the glove box (instead of just a cd player) that plays both cd's and dvd's.

Here's the kicker........
You can play dvd's through the changer and the movie will display in the main screen of your X5. The vehicle must be stopped or traveling no faster than 3 mph in order for it to work, but hey at least you dont have to necessarily splurge for the Rear Entertainment.
You'll have full control of the dvd (ie fast forward, pause, etc.)

Hope this is helpful.
Best Regards,
JoeS
Ads by Google
Old 01-28-2008, 02:36 PM
bmw addiction

Mein Auto: X5d
i was under the impression bmw NORTH AMERICA disables the tv function for the front screen unlike the euro models??

2012 X5d | White on Black | Fully Loaded | Sport Package
Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 01-28-2008, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 13 X5M, 96 993TT, 09 SL63
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS-CA View Post
Long time lurker and a BMW CA........
Don't know if this has been covered here but here's some interesting information

If you purchase the Premium Sound Package in a new X5 (2008) you will get a 6 disc dvd player in the glove box (instead of just a cd player) that plays both cd's and dvd's.

Here's the kicker........
You can play dvd's through the changer and the movie will display in the main screen of your X5. The vehicle must be stopped or traveling no faster than 3 mph in order for it to work, but hey at least you dont have to necessarily splurge for the Rear Entertainment.
You'll have full control of the dvd (ie fast forward, pause, etc.)

Hope this is helpful.
Best Regards,
JoeS

Is it only on the 2008, not on the 2007???
Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
BMW Lover

Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw X5
Is it possible to do a DIY on the X5 so it allows us to play the DVD while moving? I want to play something funny or a music video when traffic gets congested.

I just LOVE my X5.

My Garage- http://directory.bimmerfest.com/user...wUser&UId=4371
Old 01-28-2008, 06:00 PM
bmw addiction

cross5x can you watch videos on the front screen while your car is not moving?

Black Trim Painted White

-2009 E320 Diesel | White on Black | H&R Springs | Kleemann KD-Box | 20" Monarch Hamburg Rims
Black Roof | E63 Rear Lip | Hood Emblem Delete | Foglight Chrome Trim Delete Gone

-2003 760LI Titanium Gray Metallic | Every option | H&R Springs upfront , via computer in rear
OEM Style 128 21" wheels | 40% tint | AIB Angel Eye's w/ matching foglights Gone
Old 01-28-2008, 06:17 PM
BMW Client Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny_j View Post
i was under the impression bmw NORTH AMERICA disables the tv function for the front screen unlike the euro models??
Sunny: Nope it is not disabled, but you cannot watch the dvd playing on the front screen if the vehicle is traveling at more than 3 mph.

AWDnut: As long as your vehicle was supplied with the 6 DVD Changer, it should work. I would have to check when I get back to the dealership tomorrow. We have an 07 with that I can check.

Cross5x: I'm sure somebody will find a work around for it. I know that there is an outfit in NY somewhere that has been doing this mod on 3 series for awhile now. I think they even had a "kit" available.

Best Regards,
JoeS
Old 01-28-2008, 06:49 PM
bmw addiction

i just went to my dealer and tried playing a dvd in both slots but nothing happened. ( it had the dvd icon in the menu. and it was a 2008 X5 4.8 M edition.)the dvd icon didn't even go white to indicate that there's a dvd in the player. anything im missing here?

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 AM
BMW Client Advisor

Quote:
i just went to my dealer and tried playing a dvd in both slots but nothing happened. ( it had the dvd icon in the menu. and it was a 2008 X5 4.8 M edition.)the dvd icon didn't even go white to indicate that there's a dvd in the player. anything im missing here?
The vehicle must have the Premium Sound Package. The dvd player you must use is the one in the glove box. The one in the dash is the dvd for the navigation. The other slot is just a single cd player.

Best Regards,
Joe S
Old 01-29-2008, 10:03 AM
bmw addiction

ok i guess i tryed playing it in the navigation and the single cd slot. both slots i tryed in were in front of the shifter. ill try going back today and ill look for the dvd player. so if the idrive shows the dvd menu does that mean the x5 has a dvd player on board?

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-29-2008, 04:16 PM
bmw addiction

i tryed both of these slots. is one of them a dvd player?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E70_Wallpaper_10_640x480.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	162.8 KB
ID:	134158  

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 AM
BMW Client Advisor

Quote:
i tryed both of these slots. is one of them a dvd player?
Sunny,
Those two players are not the one I am talking about. As I stated before, the top player is the standard single cd player. The one below it is the DVD player for the Navigation disc.
The DVD player is in the glove box. It is a 6 slot DVD player. If you do not have the Premium Sound Package, you will not have the DVD player.
Hope this clears things up.
Best Regards,
JoeS-CA
Old 01-30-2008, 06:10 AM
BMW Lover

Mein Auto: 2008 Bmw X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeS-CA View Post
Cross5x: I'm sure somebody will find a work around for it. I know that there is an outfit in NY somewhere that has been doing this mod on 3 series for awhile now. I think they even had a "kit" available.
I hope you post more info about this! I was hoping to play some music videos, funny videos etc, that would make trips way nicer!

I just LOVE my X5.

My Garage- http://directory.bimmerfest.com/user...wUser&UId=4371
Old 01-30-2008, 09:53 AM
bmw addiction

thanks guys.... for playing video's while driving you need the "tv free" module.http://www.tvfree-modules.com/ i came across this module on the German 7 forum when i was looking for the tv function for my 760li.

Black Trim Painted White

Old 01-30-2008, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 13 X5M, 96 993TT, 09 SL63
My 07 X5 4.8 come with premium sound but the 6 disc changer in the glove box is only CD changer and not DVD changer. The user manual however is telling me that it should be a CD/DVD changer though?!?!?

I have the rear DVD/Ent pkg. Do they omit the DVD changer if you have the Rear Ent. pkg?
Old 11-13-2008, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: X5 4.8 328 cabriolet
I got my X5 4.8 last month with premium sound and dvd changer... however, i cannot see the "DVD" item on the screen, it says "CD" instead. i tried to put in a dvd video while the car is not moving, it plays the audio of the DVD but not the video , i ask the dealer, they say it's for DVD audio... anyway to unlock it?

Thanks
Old 11-14-2008, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Mercedes R500
I got the '08 X5 with prem sound. It does play DVD in the nav main screen, both audio and video, while the car is in P. But once you put it in D, an warning will show in the main nav screen stating, for your own safety video only avaible while the car is parked, while still playing the audio feed. However I can't get the video feed to show on the full screen( both main screen & secondary screen).

Also, the prem sound package on '07 comes with 6 disc cd changer, but comes with wireless headphone on the rear entertainment pack. In the other hand, '08 comes with 6 disc dvd changer, but no wireless headphone on the rear entertainment pack. In NA the car have to be parked to see the video. In other regions are up to 3,5 or 10 mph
Retired-'07 Acura MDX w/ sport, tech and entertainment package
Retired-'06 Lexus R400h w/Mark Levinson Audio, Rear Entertainment
Retired-'04 X5 3.0i Toledo Blue Metallic, Sand Beige w/Premium, Sport, Cold weather, Rear Climate, Premium sound, Xenon & Bluetooth

Last edited by Lynstermkiii; 11-14-2008 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Audi a4 quattro 6/MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynstermkiii View Post
I got the '08 X5 with prem sound. It does play DVD in the nav main screen, both audio and video, while the car is in P. But once you put it in D, an warning will show in the main nav screen stating, for your own safety video only avaible while the car is parked, while still playing the audio feed. However I can't get the video feed to show on the full screen( both main screen & secondary screen).

Also, the prem sound package on '07 comes with 6 disc cd changer, but comes with wireless headphone on the rear entertainment pack. In the other hand, '08 comes with 6 disc dvd changer, but no wireless headphone on the rear entertainment pack. In NA the car have to be parked to see the video. In other regions are up to 3,5 or 10 mph
woah... we have an 08 x5 with prem sound....going to have to try this!!! I was under the impression that in the US it would NOT play.

So I put the DVD in the changer? not in the dvd slot where the navigaiton disc goes?
Old 11-15-2008, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Mercedes R500
Yes, you put the dvd in the changer in the glove compartment. on the idrive entertainment menu select DVD, then the slot with dvd video will be high lighted. Select that slot and it'll play automaticlly. When the car is parked there'll be both audio & video, once the car shift out of park. There's only audio feed.
Retired-'07 Acura MDX w/ sport, tech and entertainment package
Retired-'06 Lexus R400h w/Mark Levinson Audio, Rear Entertainment
Retired-'04 X5 3.0i Toledo Blue Metallic, Sand Beige w/Premium, Sport, Cold weather, Rear Climate, Premium sound, Xenon & Bluetooth
Old 09-07-2009, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 4.8 sport
2007 x5 with premium sound and changer

Hi Joe S, I have an 07 x5 with the rear ent. package and premium sound wiht the changer in the glove. I have the DVD icon on my i drive for the changer, but cannot get the dvd to play in front. Does it need to be in any particular slot in the changer?
Old 09-23-2009, 01:04 AM

Mein Auto: X5
If i have the premium sound package but don't have navigation can i still watch dvd on the idrive display?
Old 06-08-2013, 07:46 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Please help. Just purchased x5 55 plate. got DVD monitors in back, they're not working. just says no signal. We have changed batteries and checked fuses. sensor light doesn't come on. Dvd player is in the boot of the car. New to the forum so bear with.