Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 08-25-2004, 02:53 AM

Mein Auto: X5 3.0d
Failings of the iPod integration

In my opinion, BMW and Apple missed a trick here:
1. System not compatible with SatNav.
2. iPod solution does not display Artist or Track name.

I purchased a new X5 with SatNav and CD changer. I would be happy to lose the CD changer and have an iPod dock if that is possible but the documentation is unclear. In any event, having all the iPod music avaiable without reference to the Track details (Artist, Title) is far from ideal.

I think the best solution for me would be to compile 6 audio cd's with my playlists on them (say 6 x 20 songs) - and this would have to do.

The idea of a computer in the car with a 16:9 LCD display seems wasted. Considering how well they integrated the Bluetooth on the phone this seems far from ideal - especially as Apple is a forward thinking computer company (OK I do own a Mac). I have a Nokia 6310i and even receive the SMS texts on the onboard computer.
Ads by Google
Old 08-25-2004, 06:23 AM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by nascar

I purchased a new X5 with SatNav and CD changer. I would be happy to lose the CD changer and have an iPod dock if that is possible but the documentation is unclear. In any event, having all the iPod music avaiable without reference to the Track details (Artist, Title) is far from ideal.

I think the best solution for me would be to compile 6 audio cd's with my playlists on them (say 6 x 20 songs) - and this would have to do.

The idea of a computer in the car with a 16:9 LCD display seems wasted. Considering how well they integrated the Bluetooth on the phone this seems far from ideal - especially as Apple is a forward thinking computer company (OK I do own a Mac). I have a Nokia 6310i and even receive the SMS texts on the onboard computer.

what do you mean "Considering how well they integrated the Bluetooth on the phone "..their bluetooth system isn't so great, it is barely available!
Old 08-25-2004, 07:57 AM

Their Bluetooth works very well with my 6310i and with my wifes Nokia 6600 (though the Nokia does not push the phonebook through).

Why do you say it is barely available?
Old 08-26-2004, 01:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X128i
Quote:

You can buy an adaptor $49.00 and have your ipod installed with Nav & CD changer, however you don't get use of steering wheel controls.
Old 08-26-2004, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 335i
Agree. Apple and BMW really did drop the ball w/ their implementation of the ipod adapter. Fortunately, Dension is working on an enhancement to their icelink product that will display song/artist info on the LCD. And it will work on the x5. I don't know when they're coming out w/ it yet.

http://nyccarblog.blogspot.com/
Old 08-27-2004, 07:14 PM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
Agree. Apple and BMW really did drop the ball w/ their implementation of the ipod adapter. Fortunately, Dension is working on an enhancement to their icelink product that will display song/artist info on the LCD. And it will work on the x5. I don't know when they're coming out w/ it yet.
Very soon. Our Beta arrived this week from our engineers for bug testing.

Stay Tuned!
Old 08-27-2004, 08:22 PM
BMW Enthusiast!

Mein Auto: '08 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@densionusa
Very soon. Our Beta arrived this week from our engineers for bug testing.

Stay Tuned!

VERY is relative... Very as in a week, Very as in a few months? I know you PM'ed me saying a couple months, has that changed?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:24 AM

Will this be available in the UK?
Old 08-28-2004, 01:57 AM

Mein Auto: 01 S54 M Roadster & 97 M3
ipod

Hay Guys
I know you have the X Series But Have you check out the new Sound Gate System.
I been using it in my M Roadster, It has a Three way switch that lets you choose the ipod or CD changer doing this all though the cars Audio System. The Audio shop set this up for me with the switch looking very stock. I have the Best of all the worlds, Use of the Radio, Cassette, or CD Changer and My ipod. The switch only controls the Chose of CD Changer or ipod. By the way the ipod is up front too.
Good luck
Mike T
Old 08-28-2004, 02:09 AM

What is the Sound Gate System (manufacturer etc). Searching on web but don't know enough specifics.
Old 08-28-2004, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 01 S54 M Roadster & 97 M3
Soundgate

Quote:
What is the Sound Gate System (manufacturer etc). Searching on web but don't know enough specifics.
Soungate.com They have the latest up dates.
As for the specifics, I had my Audio shop do the install they had the info needed
Regards,
Mike T
Old 08-30-2004, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wassy
VERY is relative... Very as in a week, Very as in a few months? I know you PM'ed me saying a couple months, has that changed?
At this time, I am going to keep is as "very". The Beta has only been in-house for a few days and testing needs to be applied fully before a final product is shipped.

As soon as we get closer to a final release date, it will be posted on our website as well as the forums.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weoilmen
Hay Guys
I know you have the X Series But Have you check out the new Sound Gate System.
I been using it in my M Roadster, It has a Three way switch that lets you choose the ipod or CD changer doing this all though the cars Audio System. The Audio shop set this up for me with the switch looking very stock. I have the Best of all the worlds, Use of the Radio, Cassette, or CD Changer and My ipod. The switch only controls the Chose of CD Changer or ipod. By the way the ipod is up front too.
Good luck
Mike T
A switch can easily be fabbed up to use either the CD Changer or the ice>Link, but this will require a little bit of electrical experience. Some audio shops have performed this already on some BMWs (and some Range Rovers).

Also, depending on the vehicle's iBus will depend if this feature will work for you or not. Some vehicle are very tough for additional peripherals to be added and requires a reinitialization phasing (which can be done at home, not as complicated as it sounds) to recognize the additional device.