Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-21-2015, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertible
Angry X5 flat battery....phone system and other things

Hi,
Just brought at auction sight unseen a 2004 X5 4.4i with large sun roof 95000 km for $14000.
I knew there would a a few things that need doing: and there are but nothing major.

It was delivered to the Gold Coast from Melbourne last Friday.

There a few questions I want to ask you guys as this BMW is new to me.

I had a 328i E36 highline convertible for 10 years ( colour: mora with cream interior) best car I have ever had. Replaced it with a Audi A4 convertible black.....big mistake!

Anyway x5 was starting fine now battery is dead I think I left some thing turned on when cleaning it?
I put the disc in for the Nav system, would that do it? Have taken battery out and shall try restarting the car when charged up.

The x5 has no bluetooth system for the phone, checked under the CD holder in the back there is no Phone module there? Is is hard to put a system in as all the buttons are there? A retrofit system from bimmernav the USA is $520 well it work here? They have them for Eruo built cars

Have some oil leaks are these expensive to fix?
I guess the TV won't work since we changed to digital from analog

I am missing the took kit which has the locking nut thingee so where can I get one of these
from ....help and cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	505112   Click image for larger version

Name:	16.JPG
Views:	33
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	505113  

Last edited by ben38gc; 04-21-2015 at 07:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Advertisement
Old 04-22-2015, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: chrysler srt8, Golf TDi
Welcome to the forum.
Have your battery load tested to see if it's okay or not. These beasts don't like batteries that are weak or on their way out. Invest in a 'good' battery like I did (Varta) if you have any doubts.
I don't think the sat-nav disc could be the cause of the battery drain, but then again I don't know all that much about this item. Certainly doesn't have that effect in mine anyway.
Again, I don't know all that much about retro-fitting a blue tooth system. Fortunately, my car had it fitted when I purchased it 2 months ago, but it was a bugger to pair. Now works fine, but I've yet to figure out the voice activation feature. I've read on some threads that owners have tried several times to retro-fit a module and have not been successful. I'm sure there are others on here that would have a good news story though.
Oil leaks are something you'll have to investigate, as they can come from anywhere and each will require its own repair or remedy.
TV won't work, due to Australia now having a digital signal, as you've figured out.
I would try eBay for the tool kit and key for wheel bolts. If unsuccessful, then I would imagine any dealer would be able to assist, or maybe a tyre fitting shop.
Car looks pretty clean from the photo. Good luck and enjoy the ride. I have a big grin on my dial every time I jump in...
Old 04-22-2015, 11:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
The newer the BMW...the fewer the tools in the tool kit.

The e53 tool (bag) only has a few items in it...and should be curled up somewhere below the cargo floor...look around under there to see if you see it...mine looks like the one pictured below from ECS's website and only has items #2-#6 seen in the diagram below.

You can see the available tools in the diagram below. If you have missing tools...it's as easy as typing "BMW xx xx x xxx xxx" (where x = bmw part nbr) into a google search box to see what's out there on the internet for sale. If nothing comes up...then there's always the local or national advertising BMW dealerships:

Below is a pic by forum member DKL where he has all the tools around the spare tire identified:

Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg

Last edited by QSilver7; 04-22-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:18 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i Convertible
hi, thanks for the replies. Battery is a Varta so hope its ok notices that the breather hole had not been pushed through which I did ...hope this is right?
I let it charge for 24 hours and started OK and all lights that came on went off... Found 4 new locking nuts and tool on ebay for 19 inch wide tire pack which car has, I'll get the local BMW dealer to remove old nuts....I hope.

Still would love a Blue tooth system as even my 2011 Toyota Camry has a great bluetooth system!

This X5 has been sitting in a garage for the last two years unused.....so now have it at my local workshop having a full service and all fluids been changed ....I let you know what happens...cheers