Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 09-02-2013, 02:21 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jim, I know you already ordered it, but do you have a Harbor Freight near you? Or O'Reillys or Auto Zone or Advance Auto Parts, or NAPA? Any of those would have a whole set, probably for what you paid for one from Northern. I like Northern, but they are real proud ($$$) of their tools.
I ordered from McMaster, not Northern. I could have ordered from nearly anywhere but I wanted to see if the quality of the tool from McMaster would be any better than the junk that typically comes from the other places. I also ordered some wiring sleeves while I was at it.

I wish I had thought of Autozone. They probably would have had it. Oh, well.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:34 PM

I was bored and it's too bloody hot to do anything outside. Costs are stacking up and this doesn't include the cage components and seat that will be coming in a week or so. But it's still better than I would have faired if I had paid a shop to do everything. So far, the only thing I've had done at a shop is tire mounting, one oil change and two brake fluid flushes.

Last edited by jimgood; 09-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:16 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Sorry. Brain cramp about where you ordered. McMaster has quality stuff, and they should get to you in a day or so. I order from the Atlanta McMaster location and have the items the next day (350+ miles away).

It's too hot to do anything here, too.

Edit: $74 for BRAKE FLUID????

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Last edited by hornhospital; 09-02-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 09-03-2013, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Sorry. Brain cramp about where you ordered. McMaster has quality stuff, and they should get to you in a day or so. I order from the Atlanta McMaster location and have the items the next day (350+ miles away).

It's too hot to do anything here, too.

Edit: $74 for BRAKE FLUID????
StopTech high temp fluid. Four bottles. Yeah. 'spensive. When it comes to stopping, I don't skimp.

Last edited by jimgood; 09-03-2013 at 02:52 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 03:26 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Oh, you sold an armrest huh?
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 09-03-2013, 08:28 AM
D'oh, You kids!

$18.50/bottle isn't very expensive. I thought maybe it was some exotic stuff that was $74 per bottle.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the BO story. That's terrible.

As for costs, you're doing pretty well! a $4500 race car and climbing isn't too shabby. Some of your line items are shocking, but looking back, it all makes sense. Cool build, and great record keeping!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 09-03-2013, 09:58 AM
D'oh, You kids!

I don't WANT to know what I spend on my cars. Too depressing. Eddie keeps record of everything he buys for each car. Even windshield wipers, fluids, everything. It's commendable to do so if you intend on selling the car later, or just for fun like what Jim is doing with his racecar project. I just get depressed seeing how much money I've sunk into cars over the years. Easily into six figures now....

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-03-2013, 11:21 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
I am not crazy about StopTech's Brake Fluid versus Motul's RBF600, and yes they are in the same price range. In my experience, I found the Motul RBF600 to be very consistent, handled my heavy brake foot in the Subaru STI, and performed very well. It's what I am going to run in the M3 for Saturday's event.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
I don't WANT to know what I spend on my cars. Too depressing. Eddie keeps record of everything he buys for each car. Even windshield wipers, fluids, everything. It's commendable to do so if you intend on selling the car later, or just for fun like what Jim is doing with his racecar project. I just get depressed seeing how much money I've sunk into cars over the years. Easily into six figures now....
I have a friend who keeps track of EVERY penny he spends for his cars including gas fill ups. I've asked him what he does with the data, and he's never had a good answer other then that's what his father always did. I kid him that it's a lot like the newlywed wife and the pot roast tale. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post

As for costs, you're doing pretty well! a $4500 race car and climbing isn't too shabby. Some of your line items are shocking, but looking back, it all makes sense. Cool build, and great record keeping!
^This^! To be on the track for under $5K is pretty darn cheap. I know there's still a few other mods to be made if the car's going to be used for anything beyond PDE, PDX, or casual track days, but that's still a pretty good bargain.....

Last edited by dc_wright; 09-03-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinanceGuy View Post
Oh, you sold an armrest huh?
LOL...yes, sir!

Quote:
$18.50/bottle isn't very expensive. I thought maybe it was some exotic stuff that was $74 per bottle.
Yeah, but they're small bottles. Not like the large bottles that ATE usually comes in. So, ah, yeah. Easy come, easy go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petriej View Post
Sorry, but I had to laugh at the BO story. That's terrible.

That cost is going to jump by like $1800 very shortly when I take delivery of the cage, seat, seat mount, steering wheel and quick release. Oh, crap. And harness! Make that $2000. I have to admit that I don't always shop around for the best price.

Quote:
Frankly, I'm just doing this because I want to know how far off I really am when compared to buying a used, ready-to-race car. My alternative was to buy a used Spec Miata. The only reason I didn't was because I would have to come up with the money for the car and an enclosed trailer all at once. Been there, done that, lost my shirt. At least this way, I can keep the windows in the car so I can park it in the overhang of my barn and I don't have to worry about racoons climbing into it.

When it comes to selling the car, can you ever get back what you put in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I am not crazy about StopTech's Brake Fluid versus Motul's RBF600, and yes they are in the same price range. In my experience, I found the Motul RBF600 to be very consistent, handled my heavy brake foot in the Subaru STI, and performed very well. It's what I am going to run in the M3 for Saturday's event.
I like Motul as well. I was ordering stuff from TireRack so I got the fluid they had. The StopTech performed well for the speeds I was achieving. But this car is slow right now. I think the highest speed at the end of straight at Summit Point I saw was in the upper 120s. I'm sure with suspension upgrades and sticky tires I'll have to rethink the braking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
I have a friend who keeps track of EVERY penny he spends for his cars including gas fill ups. I've asked him what he does with the data, and he's never had a good answer other then that's what his father always did. I kid him that it's a lot like the newlywed wife and the pot roast tale. LOL
I like that answer a lot better than where I'm going with it. I have to override any negative thoughts with stuff like, "I'm just happy I have this money to spend!" or "Sure it's expensive but I'm learning so much!".

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
^This^! To be on the track for under $5K is pretty darn cheap. I know there's still a few other mods to be made if the car's going to be used for anything beyond PDE, PDX, or casual track days, but that's still a pretty good bargain.....
The pisser is that, yes, I was "on the track" for under $5k but I was barely keeping up with Spec Miatas. Sorry to the Spec Miata guys for implying that's the low bar. And, like I said, I'm just about to leap over $6k WITHOUT GOING ANY FASTER! I'm not even sure what I'm going to do about the increased ride height now that the car has lost a couple hundred pounds. No, I'm not buying lowering springs! Unless I can find a used set really cheap...like 5 bucks.

The thing I like about this is that it's NOT my daily driver. If I ball it up and live to tell about it, I can still get to work on Monday.

Thanks to all for tuning in and keeping me jazzed.
Old 09-03-2013, 07:20 PM
D'oh, You kids!

I love how you're going about it so methodically. I tend to just dive in and start tossing stuff.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-03-2013, 07:28 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimgood View Post
The pisser is that, yes, I was "on the track" for under $5k but I was barely keeping up with Spec Miatas. Sorry to the Spec Miata guys for implying that's the low bar. And, like I said, I'm just about to leap over $6k WITHOUT GOING ANY FASTER! I'm not even sure what I'm going to do about the increased ride height now that the car has lost a couple hundred pounds. No, I'm not buying lowering springs! Unless I can find a used set really cheap...like 5 bucks.

The thing I like about this is that it's NOT my daily driver. If I ball it up and live to tell about it, I can still get to work on Monday.

Thanks to all for tuning in and keeping me jazzed.
As much as we rag about the "gayness" of the Miata in this forum they really are a pretty good little track car. The Gen2 run approximately 16 lb weight per HP compared to the E36 323 being about 18lb per HP so they've got a power to weight advantage and they're a bit more aero than an E36. No shame in getting passed by one with a near stock 323......
Old 09-03-2013, 10:24 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Not everyone feels that way, Don. I've instructed in a few Miatas, and there's a reason so many of them are on the track. They're pretty great. It's especially awesome to pass a Ferrari who doesn't know what he's doing in a turn.

Jim, a few more mods and I think you *could* sell the car for ~15k. So yes, you might get out what you put in. The problem is, the market is small for what you're building...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-04-2013, 04:08 AM

Yeah, I have much respect for Miatas. I had one for a daily driver for about a year until I rear ended someone at around 55 mph. That was humbling. But I walked away from the crash with my only injury being a burn from the airbag on the tip of my nose.

Since I know you'll ask how the hell I did that...

I live way out in a rural area off I66 in Virginia. Bright, sunny morning on my way to work. I head down the on-ramp to the freeway and put on my sunglasses but the lens falls out. So I toss them aside and merge with traffic. It's moving at normal freeway speeds at this point. Then the right lane slows a little approaching the next exit so I move to the left lane. I'm about 7 car lengths behind the car in front of me doing 70. The sun is in my eyes and there's lots of glare coming off the cars so I reach for the sun visor and I can't feel it. I look up and, because I've just been looking into bright sunlight and am now looking at the dark black of the interior above me, my eyes can't really even see the sun visor so I'm still fumbling around. It's cocked off at a 45 degree angle above my head. I grab it and move it into position which momentarily blocks my view. All this took, maybe two and a half to three seconds (looking up, sun visor below eye level). It was at this moment that the traffic ahead came to a halt.

Now, mind you, I'm talking about a stretch of freeway where there have been maybe two traffic backups in the entire 15 years I've lived here. We're 25 miles from "civilization", if you apply that term to Manassas. It's just not something one expects and one gets complacent, you know?

So, by the time I can see ahead of me, I'm driving 70 mph toward a car that is now nearly stopped and about 75 feet in front of me. I wish I had turned the wheel left and gone to the shoulder. But I panicked and stomped on the brakes and drove right under that car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	miata.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	395087  
Old 09-04-2013, 04:39 AM
still learnin'

Mein Auto: 1998 328i / 99 540iA
Ouch! I hate I66....

I've been in stopped stand still traffic on that highway before fairfax at 2AM. I think that highway claims the life of many cars.... Glad all is well though!
Patrick ///04 330i ZHP///BMWCCA#465139

99 540i TiAg
98 328i hellrot (sold)
96 318iC black (sold)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:46 AM

The morning commute is hell on I66 east bound. Clearly half of the cars on the road are driven by people who have never seen the sun before and must come to a complete stop to marvel at it. That's if you believe what the traffic reporters call a "sun delay". I think it's a vast government conspiracy to thin the heard. And like all things governmental, it's not effective.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Cruising 280 Top Down

I lived in VA for about 20 years. I know all about it. 66 is a marvel for sure, since NoVa exploded. I can't imagine people living as far south as Fredericksburg, but still commuting into DC. All for that 4000 sq ft house and half acre of land...

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-04-2013, 01:57 PM

I took a long lunch from work today to have a little adventure. I have been an online customer of Harbor Freight for many years. Yesterday I found out that they opened a store in Sterling. That's about 10 minutes from where I work so I made the trip over there to check it out. I have to say it's a completely different experience seeing and feeling all the stuff vs looking at the pics in the catalogs or online. And, of course, they had some things I just couldn't pass up.

I have a mechanic's creeper but it digs into my shoulders something awful so I got one of these. I tried it on in the store and it felt pretty good:

Since I'm going to have to deal with removing seam sealer before I start welding my cage, I also got this. Even if it doesn't do the job I have plenty of other uses for it:

Then I got a torx screwdriver set with the T30 I needed and already orderd from McMaster. These things seem to be nearly single-use anyway so I might as well have a few extras.

Not going to be able to work on Tiffany this evening. I gotta change the oil in my DD and do some mowing. Can't wait to get back to the build though.

Edit: P.S. I have to say, I was surprised by how small the HF store is. I was expecting something like the size of a WalMart or something. What I found was something more like a well organized local hardware store. It's all there. The entire catalog. It's just not as extensive as I thought it would be.
What I'd really like to see is a Grizzly store open up around here!

Last edited by jimgood; 09-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Yeah, it's nice having a HF nearby to visit from time to time. I've been very pleased with the tools I've purchased from them over the years. That said, I think each visit takes about 3 months off of one's lifespan due to all the plastic & rubber off-gassing inside the store.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 09-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Agreed, Karl.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
Yeah, it's nice having a HF nearby to visit from time to time. I've been very pleased with the tools I've purchased from them over the years. That said, I think each visit takes about 3 months off of one's lifespan due to all the plastic & rubber off-gassing inside the store.
I thought that was 'ambiance'. Like being at the dragstrip, but without the nitro. If each trip takes 3 months off your lifespan, I've been dead for about 5 years.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-05-2013, 02:50 AM

Hah! I thought that was new-store-smell or something. I was walking through the store, pushing a shopping cart, conjuring Will Smith dragging the alien through the desert in Independence Day, "...And what the hell is that smell???!!!"

Last edited by jimgood; 09-05-2013 at 03:00 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 08:46 AM

Yesterday evening, I got my T30 torx driver and removed the airbag off the steering wheel. Yaaay!

Then I tried to remove the "two screws" from the top of the instrument cluster. The Bentley manual doesn't bother to tell you they're torx screws. It just says, "Remove the two screws from the instrument cluster". I was trying to get a phillips head screw driver in there and that wasn't working too well. And I couldn't see them. I tried every angle to **** my head and look and could not see what kind they were. Every other screw in the dash, like the glove box, vents, etc. are all phillips head. Why torx for the instrument cluster?

So, I got the instrument cluster out and removed the remainder of the screws and bolts that hold the dash...except for one. You're gonna love this!

At each end of the dash there's a bolt. You have to open the door to get to the bolt. I parked under a shed with the passenger side too close to the wall to open the door more than a couple of inches. So, now I have to put the steering wheel back on and hook up the battery just so I can move the car, open the door and get that bolt out.

Edit: Bwaaaahaha! I just noticed the swear filter kicked in because I used the word c**k as a synonym for tilt.

Last edited by jimgood; 09-06-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:52 AM
D'oh, You kids!

FYI, Jim, some of the IC screws at the top are/were Torx, and some are/were Phillips. In my 318 they are Phillips. In the '93 325 they are Torx. Go figure.

About having to backtrack hugely to finish some minor task...been there. I feel your pain. Like pulling off the struts, and putting new ones on with new Eibach springs, getting the car back on the ground, and then see the bump stops I forgot to install sitting in the tool box. Had to do the whole blasted job over again.

BMW-CCA #441426
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?