Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 Sportline
Question about how Air Conditioning works on BMWs

Hello All,

Hoping you guys can enlighten me on this. I have a F30 335i, and am trying to figure out the Climate controls. I have read the manual. I also read that I should "set the temp to 68, turn on the AC, turn on Auto, and forget about it"

I have tried this, but it still blows cold air when it is pretty cold outside. There is also the matter that, the vents have a temperature control of sorts. If I turn the vent to the blue side, colder air comes out, and if I turn the vent to the red side, warm(er) air comes out.

My wifes AH 5 is even a little more confusing, as it has 4 way climate control. Each of the the controls also has a "warm / cold" toggle on the vents.

If I turn OFF the Air Conditioning button, the air gets "stale" FAST. How does everyone have this set for comfort without micro managing the thing?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:

Thanks everyone for the responses! Thanks specifically to Mark K, Supermax, and BoltjaM3s, as with their information I feel I have a much better handle on how this works. I am editing this first post in case someone gets led here by google searching etc. The important things to consider seem to be:

(From Supermax):

By setting the fan speed with the Auto, you are setting the maximum speed the fan will use. It could go lower (without showing it on the monitor), but it won't go higher. For example if you set it to speed 3 (the middle one), it could use 1, 2, or 3, depending on how much cooling is needed, but it will never use 4 or 5.

(This is definately true, and I dont remember reading it anywhere in the manual. It may be there but if so I definitely missed it. With this information I changed my intensity setting to the 3rd dot, and have seen / heard the system ramp up and down, where before it did not).
----------------------------------------------
(From Mark K.) General usability advice:

Depends on what you perceive as "micromanaging". If I have to touch it once a day, I'm OK with that. So, if that's OK with you, too, then this is the procedure:

- set temp at whatever your brain feels comfortable with for given climate/season/day of the week. My choice is 70.

- set intensity ("fan") to whatever noise from it you can tolerate after the car settled to constant airflow. My choice is two.

- set air conditioning to ON or OFF. During winter months you can afford to go without AC for a month or more. As soon as temps go over 50, you will need AC, especially on sunny days. I drive with windows open from 40 - 90 degrees so you might need AC more often if you always drive with windows down.

"Micromanaging" for me means to turn the vent wheel towards blue, middle or red depending on day's weather. That wheel regulates the temperature of the air blowing directly to your face/hands, while 8 or more other vents you don't see are doing their thing to get the car to the temp you did set on display. I very rarely change temp, intensity or AC on/off - most of my immediate needs of temp adjustments are done by the "magic wheel" by the vents.

Hope that helps.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From BoltjaM3s:

The auto setting works like it does in any other car. You put in the temperature, the car will adjust the fan speed to maintain the temperature.

The fan speed is something you set once and forget about. Think of it as the car asking you what the maximum fan speed should be. In auto, the fan speed will vary but never exceed the fan speed you chose.

Here is how I handle it for Summer and Winter:

Summer:

Fan speed bar set to the middle.
Temperature set to 68 degrees.
Color wheel set to blue.

When I enter the hot car, I tap MAX to get the AC pumping (60 degrees, fans at top speed), then tap AUTO to go back to my settings (68 degrees, middle bar) when the car is at a comfortable temperature. I leave those settings alone and spend all summer simply toggling between the MAX and AUTO buttons.

Winter:

Fan speed bar set to middle.
Color wheel set to 75% red.

When I enter the cold car, I spin both wheels to 84 degrees (the equivalent of the MAX button in summer: 84 degrees, fans at top speed). Once the car has reached a comfortable temperature, I spin both wheels down to 68 degrees (defaults back down to my middle bar fan speed). I spend all winter simply spinning the thermostat wheels from 68 to 84 degrees.

Follow this. It's very simple. Only two actions required all summer or all winter.

Summer = set at 68 degrees, toggle MAX and AUTO.

Winter= leave on AUTO, spin thermostats from 84 to 68.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With this information, I decided to move my dial UP from 68 to 70, and left the AC in condition ON, and selected the AUTO button. I think I am now at a point where I can just adjust the wheel from blue to red to vary the temp a little. Thanks All!

Last edited by jjrandorin; 06-16-2013 at 10:31 AM.
Advertisement
Old 06-09-2013, 07:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to skilletbgm
Mein Auto: 2014 535D (US Spec)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrandorin View Post
Hello All,

Hoping you guys can enlighten me on this. I have a F30 335i, and am trying to figure out the Climate controls. I have read the manual. I also read that I should "set the temp to 68, turn on the AC, turn on Auto, and forget about it"

I have tried this, but it still blows cold air when it is pretty cold outside. There is also the matter that, the vents have a temperature control of sorts. If I turn the vent to the blue side, colder air comes out, and if I turn the vent to the red side, warm(er) air comes out.

My wifes AH 5 is even a little more confusing, as it has 4 way climate control. Each of the the controls also has a "warm / cold" toggle on the vents.

If I turn OFF the Air Conditioning button, the air gets "stale" FAST. How does everyone have this set for comfort without micro managing the thing?
I set mine to 72 and forget about it. I tend to use the vent thermostat if I want it a bit cooler or warmer....I've done the same thing for all of my BMW's through the years.

BMWCCA - 341029

ED P/U - 09/13/2013
ED D/O - X1 (09/15), 535d (09/21)
REDELIVERY - X1 (10/31), 535d (11/4)
Old 06-09-2013, 07:46 PM
Donkeybike?

Mein Auto: HP2Sport - R1200GS - F30
Yep, set to 72 then fine tune with red/blue thumbwheel.
Old 06-09-2013, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
I typically leave the thumbwheel full blue, and vary the system temp between 68 and 74. Intensity is almost always at halfway.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:25 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E90 328i
How does the intensity work on Auto?

I see you can adjust it up and down, but shouldn't it do that automatically?
Old 06-10-2013, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
I also had issues with getting a "comfortable" temperature. Setting it to 70 and auto doesn't work for me as the system seems to take a while to get going. The X5's system seems to do a lot better.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post

You would think so, but it does not seem to do that for me either. I have mine set to the lowest setting for intensity.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
You would think so, but it does not seem to do that for me either. I have mine set to the lowest setting for intensity.
It does, kind of, but it's really trying to compensate for individual taste. You know how at work some people (cough, women, cough) are always complaining it's too cold while others are sweating in their offices? That's what intensity is about. How much airflow and cold air is blown around even after set temperature is reached. I like that feature. My E60 had it, but it was buried in the iDrive so it was a pain to use.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:20 AM

Mein Auto: F30 328i, AP1 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kromix View Post

It controls how aggressive the HVAC is in trying to get to the desired temperature. It's not a set fan speed - it'll still vary the fan depending on cabin temperature.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 328i
Quote:
I have noticed the same thing...

That is, on my car (2013 328i), the fan speed appears to be a totally manual operation. Specifically, I haven't noticed any fan speed changes while it is in Auto climate control.

Not sure if there is a setting I am missing somewhere, or maybe this is just the way it is.

Bryan
Old 06-10-2013, 09:39 AM
0-60 2.9

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive M Sport
i find 72 is too hot. i have it 68 most of the time and now in the summer i have to put lower it to 65 sometimes.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnesti View Post
Not sure if there is a setting I am missing somewhere, or maybe this is just the way it is.
By setting the fan speed with the Auto, you are setting the maximum speed the fan will use. It could go lower (without showing it on the monitor), but it won't go higher.

For example if you set it to speed 3 (the middle one), it could use 1, 2, or 3, depending on how much cooling is needed, but it will never use 4 or 5.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
How does everyone have this set for comfort without micro managing the thing?
Depends on what you perceive as "micromanaging". If I have to touch it once a day, I'm OK with that. So, if that's OK with you, too, then this is the procedure:

- set temp at whatever your brain feels comfortable with for given climate/season/day of the week. My choice is 70.

- set intensity ("fan") to whatever noise from it you can tolerate after the car settled to constant airflow. My choice is two.

- set air conditioning to ON or OFF. During winter months you can afford to go without AC for a month or more. As soon as temps go over 50, you will need AC, especially on sunny days. I drive with windows open from 40 - 90 degrees so you might need AC more often if you always drive with windows down.

"Micromanaging" for me means to turn the vent wheel towards blue, middle or red depending on day's weather. That wheel regulates the temperature of the air blowing directly to your face/hands, while 8 or more other vents you don't see are doing their thing to get the car to the temp you did set on display. I very rarely change temp, intensity or AC on/off - most of my immediate needs of temp adjustments are done by the "magic wheel" by the vents.

Hope that helps.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 06-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Le Mans Blue
Do you guys leave the climate on auto, even if you open the windows?
Old 06-10-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post

Hope that helps.
Yes, this helps quite a bit. I also did not realize that the fan intensity setting was the MAXIMUM that fan would go, but it would go lower. That also helps. All I really need to do now is figure out the temp I want the car to be, and turn the little dial as needed.

Thats not bad at all. I have been turning temp up, turning temp down, turning on max AC when its hot, turning it off, etc.
Old 06-10-2013, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: BMW F30 330d M Sport

I've misread the manual. Could have sworn this was the minimum fan setting.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Quote:
Yes, this helps quite a bit. I also did not realize that the fan intensity setting was the MAXIMUM that fan would go, but it would go lower. That also helps. All I really need to do now is figure out the temp I want the car to be, and turn the little dial as needed.

Thats not bad at all. I have been turning temp up, turning temp down, turning on max AC when its hot, turning it off, etc.
I'm glad it helped. I forgot one more "micromanaging" situation ... turning MAX AC on if the car sat under the sun for relatively long time. I roll down the windows, drive off and after 30 seconds or so roll them up again and use MAX AC until comfortable. Then back to Auto. However, since everything is already memorized, it is really not a problem to push two buttons in 3-5 minutes.

This is relatively rare for me because I almost always start from garage and return to garage without long intermediate stops.

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 06-11-2013, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 F30 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
By setting the fan speed with the Auto, you are setting the maximum speed the fan will use. It could go lower (without showing it on the monitor), but it won't go higher.

For example if you set it to speed 3 (the middle one), it could use 1, 2, or 3, depending on how much cooling is needed, but it will never use 4 or 5.
Thanks Supermax for explaining how this works.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 335i, X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnesti View Post
Thanks Supermax for explaining how this works.

Glad to help! But most of the credit goes to BJ (BoltJames). I learned that from his post about climate control
Old 06-14-2013, 11:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sedan

I am glad I tuned in to this thread. I have been fiddling with the climate controls since I bought my car.

Old 06-15-2013, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vman68 View Post
I am glad I tuned in to this thread. I have been fiddling with the climate controls since I bought my car.
I agree. I'd owned my car for 18 months before I realized what the red/blue thumbwheel did. I'd set the temp at 72 and the car would still feel cold. (The thumbwheel had been set to cold.) Now I keep it in the middle and it's much better.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages

Last edited by gcreese; 06-15-2013 at 05:20 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by commie View Post
Do you guys leave the climate on auto, even if you open the windows?
I don't know about others, but I never open the windows, unless I have to go through the bank drive through.

I am sure wind tunnel tests by the BMW engineers were done with closed windows
Old 06-15-2013, 07:17 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermax View Post
Glad to help! But most of the credit goes to BJ (BoltJames). I learned that from his post about climate control
(Thanks for the shout-out. Here's the original post.)

The auto setting works like it does in any other car. You put in the temperature, the car will adjust the fan speed to maintain the temperature.

The fan speed is something you set once and forget about. Think of it as the car asking you what the maximum fan speed should be. In auto, the fan speed will vary but never exceed the fan speed you chose.

Here is how I handle it for Summer and Winter:

Summer:

Fan speed bar set to the middle.
Color wheel set to blue.

When I enter the hot car, I tap MAX to get the AC pumping (60 degrees, fans at top speed), then tap AUTO to go back to my settings (68 degrees, middle bar) when the car is at a comfortable temperature. I leave those settings alone and spend all summer simply toggling between the MAX and AUTO buttons.

Winter:

Fan speed bar set to middle.
Color wheel set to 75% red.

When I enter the cold car, I spin both wheels to 84 degrees (the equivalent of the MAX button in summer: 84 degrees, fans at top speed). Once the car has reached a comfortable temperature, I spin both wheels down to 68 degrees (defaults back down to my middle bar fan speed). I spend all winter simply spinning the thermostat wheels from 68 to 84 degrees.

Follow this. It's very simple. Only two actions required all summer or all winter.

Summer = set at 68 degrees, toggle MAX and AUTO.

Winter= leave on AUTO, spin thermostats from 84 to 68.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | Dynamic Handling Package | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Ash Grain | Park Assist | Adaptive M | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 06-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the tip BJ. I will copy it to the lead post this evening.

Old 06-16-2013, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: '13 f30 n26
Does anyone else's passenger turn on the heated seats during the summer because she says she's cold?