Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-10-2013, 09:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Please help! Trunk won't open

I need to figure out how to open my trunk. Please watch video:

My rear seats do not fold down. How can I get my trunk open without damaging my car? Is there any kind of cable I can pull to get it open? As you can see in the video, I already tried the valet key, but it only turns about 45 degrees and then gets stuck. Any other suggestions??
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2013, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
I see you pulling up on the trunk,have you tried pushing down while turning the key?Do you have lots of stuff in your trunk?No dead bodies I presume....
Old 06-10-2013, 10:22 AM

I do have a lot of stuff in there, but no issues before. I'll try pushing down while turning the key. The problem with the key is that it only rotates about 45 degrees (won't turn the full 90 degrees to open)
Old 06-10-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
I see you pulling up on the trunk,have you tried pushing down while turning the key?Do you have lots of stuff in your trunk?No dead bodies I presume....
No luck pushing down. And no dead bodies either

I am getting desperate though. Is there no cable or something I can pull to unlatch the trunk? I know about the one on the inside, but that doesn't help, as my seats don't fold down.

What would the dealer do differently?
Old 06-10-2013, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2302 View Post
No luck pushing down. And no dead bodies either

I am getting desperate though. Is there no cable or something I can pull to unlatch the trunk? I know about the one on the inside, but that doesn't help, as my seats don't fold down.

What would the dealer do differently?
I can hear it click so the fuses are good,there were posts about this problem on this forum back on 2-8-2011,read up on them and see what happens,sounds to me like the mechanical part of the electrical release is failing,good luck my friend,let us know what you find.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:20 PM

Check out youtube "BMW E36 trunk lock fix" it might help to keep it from happening again after the trunk gets open.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
Check out youtube "BMW E36 trunk lock fix" it might help to keep it from happening again after the trunk gets open.
Thanks, found that video.... would try that fix, but first I have to get it opened. Called the dealer and they said $100 for "diagnostic". Asked if they would be able to get it opened, and they said they didn't know. So now I want to exhaust all options before paying $100 and having the dealer tell me they can't open it.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xDrive Coupe
Please help! Trunk won't open

Have you tried calling a locksmith?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-10-2013, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: '08 335xi (E90)
Is there a valet switch in the glovebox?
At port: March 19, 2008
Shipped on Graceful Leader: March 21, 2008
Arrived Port Hueneme: April 11, 2008
At dealer's: April 19, 2008
Delivered: April 21, 2008
Old 06-10-2013, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySL View Post
Is there a valet switch in the glovebox?
Yes, as shown in the youtube video, I tried both LOCK and UNLOCKED position. Nothing
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM

Have you tried a combination of pressing the trunk button just left of the steering wheel while someone else uses the key,as seen in that youtube video it seems like there is a part of the linkage that obstructs the movement,just a guess,let us know good buddy,peace.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:09 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
You may think that this is a joke, but it's not.

It's possible that something in your trunk is jamming the mechanism.

The mechanism is at the back of the trunk. So, get the car up to 30mph and then stomp as hard as you can on the brakes. You want a full on ABS stop. The force of this might be enough to shift whatever is causing the problem.

Hard cornering or acceleration might do the trick too.

You may even want to try doing this while pressing the trunk release button, so long as you do it in a safe place. The combination of the g forces and the mechanism trying to move may free whatever is obstructing the mechanism. Find an empty parking lot somewhere and see what you can accomplish.

Powered by corn.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:15 PM

Here's another idea. The trunk on that car has an escape handle on the inside. It's item 7 in this microfiche.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...77&hg=41&fg=60

Maybe you can get a coat hanger in and snag that handle? I'm not hopeful, though, because you've already tried to activate the mechanism three other ways. I doubt if the handle will have any more success.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Here's the last option. Your seats don't fold, but your car has the same frame as the cars that do have folding seats. That means that once the seats are out of the way, there will be an access hole.

It'll be a big job, but you could unbolt and remove the rear seats.

http://realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?mo...23&hg=52&fg=20

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post

The mechanism is at the back of the trunk. So, get the car up to 30mph and then stomp as hard as you can on the brakes. You want a full on ABS stop. The force of this might be enough to shift whatever is causing the problem.

You may even want to try doing this while pressing the trunk release button, so long as you do it in a safe place. The combination of the g forces and the mechanism trying to move may free whatever is obstructing the mechanism. Find an empty parking lot somewhere and see what you can accomplish.
I am guessing you don't realize this, but the trunk release button is disabled if the car is moving more than a 1 or 2 mph.

Every day I let out one of my passengers to grab something out of his car. I can't tell how many times I have hit the trunk release while slightly costing forward to a stop. Nope, it doesn't do a thing unless you are stopped.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXFred View Post

I'll give this a try today, if only because it sounds fun
I do have golf clubs in the trunk of my car, so perhaps something did get jammed in the mechanism.

As mossman mentioned, the trunk release won't operate if the vehicle is moving, so I'll have to wait until after I'm stopped to try again.

Thanks everyone for your help. Will report after lunch today.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:10 AM

Any luck?
Old 06-12-2013, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo2302 View Post
I'll give this a try today, if only because it sounds fun
I do have golf clubs in the trunk of my car, so perhaps something did get jammed in the mechanism.

As mossman mentioned, the trunk release won't operate if the vehicle is moving, so I'll have to wait until after I'm stopped to try again.

Aha! That is a source of desperation.

But....guessing vehicle was at rest when you tried the valet key. So how to remove the rear seat back. Bolsters out, are mounting bolts accessible?

It is good to work with one's hands. It is a pisser to find there is no pass-through. TXFred, how do you know all seat back frames are the same?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-12-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:20 AM

No luck, but it was fun driving fast and hearing all the junk in my trunk move around
Old 06-12-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
It is good to work with one's hands. It is a pisser to find there is no pass-through. TXFred, how do you know all seat back frames are the same?

Here's what I found on Realoem for the back seats. This is the model of seat that doesn't have a passthrough or folddown option, so I think it's the right one.

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...91&hg=52&fg=20

Item 2, Supporting part, backrest, looks like a plastic insert that covers the hole and supports the seat.

Whatever bulkhead lies between the trunk and seats would be part of the vehicle's unibody. It doesn't make sense to build one unibody with a full bulkhead for the non-folding seats, and build a different unibody for cars that have a passthrough between the trunk and cabin. Ergo, all E90's have the passthrough, but some of them cover it with a big plastic panel.

Hopefully the mounting bolts are accessable from the cabin, and not from the trunk.

My only other suggestion is "outside the box." Get a friend on a skateboard with the valet key. Tow him behind the car at 30mph. On the count of three, have him turn the key in the trunk lock while you stomp on the brakes.

Be sure to film this for YouTube.

Assuming he survives the experience, you might get your trunk open.

Frederic