Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 06-10-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
Head gasket blown

Hi I am new here and was hoping for some advice. My 318 has been over revving and heating my local garage could not id the problem. On Sat whilst driving the coolant light came on (it had in the morning to and I topped it up) then started screeching luckily I was very close to home pulled on to the drive and stopped the car. The noise coming from the engine was like the fan trying to cool it down. When hubby opened the bonnet after it had cooled there was beige creamy like sludge all over pouring out of the coolant funnel and lots of this goo underneath the car.Local mechanic said head gasket blown probably £1000 ish to repair. Really can't afford it for a while 2 questions really is Steel Seal any good? how long can I leave it before the engine seizes up and its too late to repair? I love this car but worth more to me than to sell probably about 2 grand (before this happened only 88k on the clock 2002 318 convertable. Any advice appreciated we have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 06-10-2013, 04:05 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
The Bad News: You just destroyed your engine

The Worse News: There is no "Miracle In A Can" that will solve your current problem

Tell hubby to start calling the local wrecking yards ("Breakers" in your neck of the woods) and shop for a serviceable replacement engine.
Or, sell the car for parts. None of the options will be easy for you....

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-10-2013, 04:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 325i 201k
I have a friend who is an indy mercedes mechanic and occasional does BMW work. I hang around his shop a lot and a few weeks ago he did a head gasket on a 5 series with the m54. I hate to tell you this bob is right he said if you ever blow your head gasket just go ahead and replace the engine it will be cheaper in the long run.
Old 06-10-2013, 07:39 PM

Mein Auto: E46, E83, E90 (all MT)
To the OP: Welcome to Bimmerfest. I am sorry you came to us under such sad circumstances.

Although I have no doubt that your head gasket is blown, I do not think that will be the end of your problems. BMW engines are very sensitive to overheating. Unfortunately, I agree with the above two posts. Engine replacement is probably necessary.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 318i
Thanks was going to park it for 12 months as I can't afford it at the moment then have engine replaced as otherwise this car is immaculate but will everything seize up in the meantime? or should I just sell for spares
Old 06-11-2013, 12:22 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
You can get another engine for like $1000-2000s.... I'd say sine the engines already done for. Might as well try some bar's leak for now lol.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 06-11-2013, 12:41 PM

I would not try to saved the engine I would pull all of the accessories Like ps pump alternator ac compressor pack them up set them aside. Then pull the motor and leave it in a corner and save it for spare parts.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscoops View Post
Thanks was going to park it for 12 months as I can't afford it at the moment then have engine replaced as otherwise this car is immaculate but will everything seize up in the meantime? or should I just sell for spares
I'd change all the fluids (besides oil) if it's going to sit for a while. Better to bathe in fresh fluid vs. cruddy. As said save or sell the engine for parts, then get a used one in working order.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD
Old 06-11-2013, 02:29 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyscoops View Post
Hi I am new here and was hoping for some advice. . Any advice appreciated we have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever

Thanks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngreaver View Post
I would not try to saved the engine I would pull all of the accessories Like ps pump alternator ac compressor pack them up set them aside. Then pull the motor and leave it in a corner and save it for spare parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahull View Post
I'd change all the fluids (besides oil) if it's going to sit for a while. Better to bathe in fresh fluid vs. cruddy. As said save or sell the engine for parts, then get a used one in working order.
I believe this part of the OP`s post will take precedence:

"we have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever"

*Please support the Disabled American Veterans*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
I believe this part of the OP`s post will take precedence:

"we have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever"
I forgot about that part. Im used to talking to mechanical minded people all day. If that's the case sale it and move on.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Hoping the OP will take our sage advice to a trustworthy mechanic. Otherwise sell it off and start over.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD