Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-29-2013, 11:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '14 X3 35i / '03 F350
Floor protection - mats vs. liners

X3 received - check
Clear bra installed - check

Now it's time to add floor protection.

I am trying to decide between floor liners and floor mats. The links point to the WeatherTech products. BMW sells almost identical products (in fact I suspect BMW has WeatherTech make theirs). While ultimately I will have to decide between BMW and WeatherTech, what I'd like your input on is comparisons between the liners and mats, regardless of vendor.

For example, will the high wall edges of the liners droop, wrinkle or curl over time and start to look tacky?

The liners kind of look like I am resting my feet in a rubbermaid container. Do they really look like that?

Does anyone have both types? Do you swap 'em out depending on the season - liners for winter, mats for summer?

I had the mats in my old X3 and they did not protect the carpets on the edges - do the liners do a good job of that?

Thanks!

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Ads by Google
Old 04-30-2013, 12:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
I almost got those liners last year when I just got my X3. But I stayed with carpet mats because the plastics or rubber liners just don't look as good or as comfortable.

How much was the clear bra installation? How does it look?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0d M-Sport (2013)
I had a 330d with velour floor mats and was always cleaning them because the kids got mud on them (they were grey too). My x3 came with black velour mats as standard so I decided to buy the BMW rubber mats and they are very good. I was concerned they would squeak in wet weather but they are oil resistant and no squeaks at all. The lips are good as well and I do not think they will curl - why - because my parents had some for years and they always come up clean. When I wash the car, I actually pull them out and let them get covered in water and soap suds as I am washing it - quick scrub and rinse and they are as good as new. I also baught the boot liner as the lip on the rear bumper looks far too nice to scratch - that is money saved

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
2013 X3 M-sport Deep Sea Blue, Black Leather, Xenons, DIRAC Professional Sound sytem, Pro Nav, 19" Wheels, Tinted windows, Folding Mirrors, PDC, ASS, DAB Radio, Aluminium trim inc roof bars
Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sedan
Re: Floor protection - mats vs. liners

I live in MN, so I use the the BMW / weathertech floor liners in the winter. The floor liners offer great protection for your interior from the snow, slush, mud and salt. In the summer I replace the liners with the carpet mats.

The BMW floor liners are made by weathertech and the only difference that I know of is my mats say xdrive where the weathertech logo would be.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 04-30-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: x3 35i

The BMW ones have Velcro that match the other side of the Velcro in the carpet. I have the weather tech all around and they do a really good job. Front, back seats and trunk. I placed my own super sticky Velcro and it doesn't move around at all.

I got the weather tech because it came out alittle cheaper when you buy all three with shipping charges then buying the BMW version.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
bmw rubber mats are awesome

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 04-30-2013, 06:01 AM

Mein Auto: Moto Guzzi
Question - would any of you guys use these if you lived in a nice weather state or not neccessary? I was contemplating for the cargo only for Home Depot trips etc.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
Question - would any of you guys use these if you lived in a nice weather state or not neccessary? I was contemplating for the cargo only for Home Depot trips etc.
I had the rubber mats and the cargo liner in my '05 X3 (all made by BMW).

While I live in a cold weather state, the mats were just as useful here in the summer because they kept the rocks and gravel out of the carpet. My driveway is a quarter mile dirt road. Also very useful when we traveled to the beach along the Texas Gulf to keep the sand out of the carpet. The cargo liner was also a good investment. There were a couple of times when that sack of dog food developed a hole and dumped half the bag in the cargo area. Cleanup was a breeze - make a funnel out of the mat and sweep the spilled kibble back into a bag. Without the mat, I would have spent the day picking it out of the tie-down channels with tweezers!

Some sort of non-carpeted floor protection is definitely going in the new X3...

For my new model I am trying to decide between the rubber mats and the rubber liners....

Our BMW: '14 X3 35i, Deep Sea Blue, Black Nevada Leather, Fineline Wave Wood, Satin Aluminum Roof Rails, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Navigation System, Driver Assistance Pkg with ALL them cameras, Premium Sound
Our truck: '03 Ford F350, 7.3L turbo-diesel, 4WD, Lariat package, Lear topper, cow catcher, Blue over Grey (Go Rice!)

"Old Faithful's just a fountain compared to the glory of true love" -- John Prine
Old 04-30-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
The mats are thick and liners thin. The rear mats leave the hump unprotected but the liners cover it. For best fit, both require removal of the carpet mats but we removed only the driver's side. Both keep the carpet mats and bare floor fairly clean. My daughter didn't like the appearance of the liners and chose mats. I didn't trust the edges of the mats and chose BMW brand liners. We both are happy with our respective choices. The trivial snowfall here was not bad enough for melted snow fallen from boots to overflow the mats. The liners have not lost their shape after 18 months. Both X3s have Weathertech cargo mats with cutouts following the outlines for the rear pockets and the four D-rings. No liquid spill has been large enough to test the cargo mat edges or berms around the cutouts.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: X3 28i

I bought the liners as protection from the kids dropping things. The lip on the liner seemed easier to contain spills and dirt so I can pour them out and clean them up afterwards. Of course Murphy's law has come in to play and the kids haven't spilled anything since I got them!

2014 X3 28i - Deep Sea Blue Metallic - Black 'Nevada' Leather - Brushed Aluminum - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance with Top View - Lighting - Premium - Technology - Satin Aluminum Roof rails - Rear manual side window shades
Old 04-30-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sedan
Re: Floor protection - mats vs. liners

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponti33609 View Post
If I lived in a warmer climate I would just stick with the carpet or buy the rubber mats.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:27 AM

Mein Auto: E93 and F25
Greg, I have the Weathertech liners in my wife's X3. Their factory is only a few miles form me. Yes they make the BMW liners. They are like a tub and will keep your interior clean in the winter. We use the carpet mats now that winter is over, They work great and you can take them out as needed and wash in a laundry sink if needed. They fit great!! The material is a little stiffer than tupperware. I used the regular rubber mats in the back seat since no one sits there very much. They do hold a little water in them if you get a lot of snow in them but t evaporates. The only area that will get dirty is under the accelerator pedal where the lip is the lowest.

ML
Old 04-30-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edbiology View Post
How much was the clear bra installation? How does it look?
I had it done by Action Line / Elite Auto Salon in Colorado Springs. The same guy did my '05 X3 over seven years ago. Tony is an Excellent craftsman. Lifetime warranty on the workmanship. He is also a very nice guy and honest person.

His work is excellent - essentially invisible. I did 18" on the hood and fenders, backs of the mirrors, edges of the doors, lip of the hatch and head/fog lights. About $450, 3M Scotchgard (5 yr warranty). I am going to go back and have him do the front bumper which will add another $200.

It was the best money I spent on my '05 X3 given all the airborne gravel and grit in Colorado. It was the first thing I did with my new '14 X3 - I drove right from the dealer to Tony's shop last Thursday.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 x28i
Has anyone tried the custom fitted Maxpider all weather floor mats/liners thats for sale on ebay. They look pretty good. Since you still can't find anything for a 2014 X3 I'm assuming the 2013 X3 (f25) mats/liners will fit the 2014. Is this correct?
Old 05-01-2013, 03:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i

In my experience the rubber mats give you better "foot-grip" than the liners.

Old 05-01-2013, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X3 F25
Wouldn´t consider anything but the velour mats. Have had them for 7 years all year through, and we get more rain and wet snow than most.

With rubber mats you have a pond in your car at all times leaving foggy windows until you empty them.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 528xi
Since you're in Colorado I'd recommend liners in the fall/winter and rubber in the spring/summer. Liners do a much better job with melting snow and thick mud. Rubber mats are more comfortable for one's feet- especially the driver's. The liners tend to curl a bit and get to be a bit annoying to the driver. The rubber ones fit more nicely all the time.

Weathertech and BMW liners are exactly alike except for different logos. I bought the the BMW rubber ones- and use the 2 season system.
2014 528ix M Sport. Space Gray/Mocha Brown Nappa Leather, Anthracite Wood Trim, Continental RFT's. Packages: ACC Stop & Go + Active Driving Assistant, Driver Assistance, Driver Assistance +, Lighting, Lux & Prem. Options: Paddle Shifters, H-K. S S System, Heated FS's & Power Rear Shade with Man SS's.

2013 X3 28i M Sport. Deep Sea Blue/Sand Beige Nevada Leather, FS Wood Trim, BMW Apps, HG Rails and GY LS All Seasons. Packages: Cold, Conv, DHP, Perform, Prem, Prem Sound and Tech.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debuck View Post
Has anyone tried the custom fitted Maxpider all weather floor mats/liners thats for sale on ebay. They look pretty good. Since you still can't find anything for a 2014 X3 I'm assuming the 2013 X3 (f25) mats/liners will fit the 2014. Is this correct?
There is no change in the X3 body, interior or exterior, from 2011-2014. So mats for 2013 will fit the 2014 models.

I have no experience with Maxpider.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:47 PM

Thank you!

Thank you, all, for your kind and thoughtful comments and information.

I'm in conversations with my managing partner on this topic

Old 05-02-2013, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 35i

I bought the new BMW X Drive all season liners which fit like a glove and have the X Drive logo. The cargo Matt is much nicer and heavier then the Weather Tech liners. They have a rubber lining underneath which makes it heavier. The rubber liners have a tendency to be slippery with wet shoes while the all weather 2013 BMW do not!
I got them during Christmas season when Murray dealership in Denver had them at 25 percent off.

Old 05-31-2013, 07:23 AM

Thank you all again for your comments and input.

We decided on the all-weather liners for the front and rear seating areas from BMW. The mats did not have as a high a lip as our old '05 X3 mats. We have a lot of rocks, dirt, gravel and mud here at the ranch (and snow in the winter) and wanted the higher lips on the liners.

We went with the cargo mat in the rear (not the high walled liner) since that has the same lip height as we were used to. Our old cargo mat worked fine and we expect this one will work well for our uses, too. The fold-out sill protector is a nice touch as is the folding box. That box does stay put on the mat (indents in the box bottom match the dimples in the mat), so that is nice.

Part Numbers
BMW All Weather Rubber Floor Liners / Black Front 82112293586
BMW All Weather Rubber Floor Liners / Black Rear 82112210411
BMW Multifunction Fitted Luggage Compartment Mat with Collapsible Box 51472164768

I looked at the equivalent Weathertech products and decided on the BMW brand because I could get the BMW branded mats cheaper than Weathertech from authorized BMW dealers on eBay.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Had liners for more old 328 and liked them, but yes they do remind of a rubbermaid container a little. Since we live eight miles from a ski resort that got 360 inches of snow this year, we're probably springing for Rubbermaid for our new X3.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: x3 sport
liners in the rear definitely on the fence about the front
Old 06-15-2013, 07:29 PM
On our 2nd Alpine X

Mein Auto: 06 X3/2010 MCSC
You made good choices. Will most likely do the same.
GONE>>>Sold. One of the best rides I ever owned. My 1st BMW-2006 X3 3.0 White w/blk. Prem/Nav/Sirius/Servo/Heated seats,steering/Park Dist./Xenon/Privacy.I got the auto. trans. so my wife can drive it.
Our 2nd Bimmer2014 X3 i35 Alpine/Chestnut. Nav,Prem,Tech,Cold Weather, Shades. Got the Automatic cause we had no choice
My 1st Mini-2010 PW, I got the 6 speed so my wife can't drive it. Laurel Edition Convert

Last edited by WHITEX; 06-15-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:22 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
I would go for the liners, gives more protection plus less headaches when cleaning.