Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
should be even easier in that case, same type of solution, sensors would prevent closing if there is an object between them. it's not expensive either, few hundred dollars. think of a supermarket door
You know what - great point, thank you! Starting a crusade against the landlord as soon as the current issue is completely resolved!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
grey spray paint all over my F30 - not sure if I want to just cry or kill someo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
This is his responsibility, he gave us no warning and he hired someone who obviously had no idea what the hell they were doing. Maaan is this FRUSTRATING!!!!
You may not have been notified but you were aware the moment you saw him working. Furthermore you recognized the potential for a problem given you discussed it with him.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
You may not have been notified but you were aware the moment you saw him working. Furthermore you recognized the potential for a problem given you discussed it with the worker.
You're kidding, right?!? The moment I saw him working was already too late if you want to be dead specific. He went through all the step sets around the building once. As I wrote earlier - I found out about his work by stepping into wet paint on the steps leading out of my apartment.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
You're kidding, right?!? The moment I saw him working was already too late if you want to be dead specific. He went through all the step sets around the building once. As I wrote earlier - I found out about his work by stepping into wet paint on the steps leading out of my apartment.
No, I am not kidding. And that's not how you described it in your initial post. Question: Did you move your car after speaking with him?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: F30 335i (regretfully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
I would suggest to go to the dealer and get it done there, but make the landlord pay for it
I would rather hire a bum off the street to do detail work on my car than a dealer.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
No, I am not kidding. And that's not how you described it in your initial post. Question: Did you move your car after speaking with him?
Dude if you want to be the devil's advocate here, read between the lines and test me - I know this is simply ZERO fault on my side, you can say what you will. I did say a few posts earlier that I found out about him doing the job by stepping into wet paint. Go check. Therefore whether I moved my car or not is irrelevant.

Also - I can post pictures of what the apartment building looks like. The painted steps are far away from where the car was parked - it would simply never occur to me something like this may happen. I actually thought I was being too careful by raising my concerns to the painter - apparently not!! or maybe it was super windy that day - I don't know!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:

I think you were either sent by my landlord or you are him hiding under a nickname! No more info for you!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Dude if you want to be the devil's advocate here, read between the lines and test me - I know this is simply ZERO fault on my side, you can say what you will. I did say a few posts earlier that I found out about him doing the job by stepping into wet paint. Go check. Therefore whether I moved my car or not is irrelevant.
I'm not trying to blame you. Merely stating you became aware of the work the moment you saw him and you recognized the potential for issues as evidenced by inquiring about it. You can be pissed at me all you want but the landlord might make this argument. Because of this it's not as clear cut as it first appears.

Quote:
Also - I can post pictures of what the apartment building looks like. The painted steps are far away from where the car was parked - it would simply never occur to me something like this may happen. I actually thought I was being too careful by raising my concerns to the painter - apparently not!! or maybe it was super windy that day - I don't know!!!
But it did occur to you. That's why you spoke to the worker. If you didn't feel this would ever occur then why do you expect he would?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:51 PM

Quote:
If you didn't feel this would ever occur then why do you expect he would?
Because he IS - or at least is SUPPOSED TO BE - a pro at what he does. He should know things need to be covered before you start the job. He should know the paint might travel, he should have maybe used a paint roller or whatever those things are called instead, or something to block the paint from spraying all over the place.

In the same way I am a pro photographer. I can tell you with 100% certainity that if you take a photo right there it will look like **** because there's a huge difference of exposures between the light that is hitting your subject's face and the light that is falling on the background behind them and the camera you are using will definitely not be able to resolve this situation. I can tell you that with the lens you are using you are not going to be able to see the moon in the sky even though it looks so bright and big in real life - in your picture with friends all you will see will be a tiny dot looking more like a star. I can tell you all that and many more things before you press the shutter. That's - partially - why.

...and even if it did not occur to him - he or the landlord are still responsible for damaging the property. Sorry but a simple "I didn't know" will just not make any difference here.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Merely stating you became aware of the work the moment you saw him and you recognized the potential for issues as evidenced by inquiring about it. You can be pissed at me all you want but the landlord might make this argument. Because of this it's not as clear cut as it first appears.
One more time: it was too late. I am not mad at you, we're discussing. I am mad and in slight despair about this whole situation. Actually, thanks for bringing this up - now I will know better what to say in case the landlord brings this up.

Old 06-12-2013, 09:04 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
One more time: it was too late. I am not mad at you, we're discussing. I am mad and in slight despair about this whole situation. Actually, thanks for bringing this up - now I will know better what to say in case the landlord brings this up.
sunny5280 LIVES on Bimmerfest solely to make ridiculous arguments as to why whatever happened is your responsibility. Check his post history. Don't waste your keystrokes. He will never give an inch.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 06-12-2013, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Progress report: I decided to go with a local detailer. After thoroughly discussing the problem they seemed completely confident they were able to take care of it. As far as I can tell they did. I would say they got 95% of the paint off the car and the original paint looks almost like new. There are some swirl marks but honestly I believe one more coat of hand waxing will make them invisible, they are showing only in full sun and I was expecting worse knowing that they would be using a machine tool to polish. They did not use compound anywhere on the body panels, they had to use it on both front and rear bumper as these were the most affected areas. They also had to use razor blades on the windows as there was simply no other way to get the spray paint off.

With all that I am.... 95% happy. There are some grey specks visible at close distance (like 3 inches away from the car) in all crevices like between the rubber and the upper part of the doors, etc. Those are difficult to get into but still I was able to get some of the stuff out myself using bug & tar remover. Some specks are still visible on the chrome frame of the grille and on the grille bars - I'll have another go at those tomorrow or if I can't get it off the car will go back to the detailers with more specific instructions. Some is also left on the plastic parts of the mirrors on both sides. Honestly when I think about it now writing this post I think I am less than 95% happy.... maybe these are details at this point and a lot of people may say I am crazy but the simple truth is these are driving me nuts and the state of my - however you look at it - brand new car car was changed by somebody else's mindless action. Even more so that it was so easy to avoid IF the ****in' painter or the damn landlord had some brains!!! Normally I am not a person that agonizes about stuff like that but I don't feel like letting this one go.

The cost so far was $235. I sent it to the landlord and he said the painter will pay for it. I'll give it a few days, if there is no check I will make it clear to the landlord that I don't care to hear from the painter. This is his responsibility, he gave us no warning and he hired someone who obviously had no idea what the hell they were doing. Maaan is this FRUSTRATING!!!!

BTW my insurance is aware of the situation. I did not make a claim because I wasn't sure if there was a claim to make (because the total cost of taking care of the problem might be lower than my deductible, which is $500) but in case the landlord doesn't cooperate my insurance will have a base to go after his insurance (at least that's what I was told).
The thing is, that your cost to make your new car right may cost much more than the $235 you currently have out-of-pocket. I also don't like the sound of the job that the detailer did for you.

There should be no swirl marks and they should have eliminated all of the paint spots, everywhere on the car, including in the seams.

I would not take it back to that local detailer. Go with a top reputable detailer, because now, they are going to have work to do to correct what the detailer did to your paint.

http://www.karosserie.com/ in King of Prussia is an excellent body shop that specializes in working on high end cars. They did a super job on my daughter's S4.

Current Stablemates:
'12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet; '11 BMW E93 335is; '08 BMW E60 535xi
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-12-2013, 09:52 PM

David, before taking the car anywhere, try using a hand sanitizer on the paint spots to see if it safely takes it off. I have one from CVS that is like a gel that I tried on a hardened sap and it took it right off of one of my cars last year. Since then, I've used it on hardened tar, bird stains, hardened crap on wheels etc. and it has taken everything off. It has alcohol in it and has worked much better than tar remover, Goof Off, etc.

The gel type sanitizer does not dissipate that quick and lets you work it longer.

Current Stablemates:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
You're welcome. That was the entire point of my response.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
sunny5280 LIVES on Bimmerfest solely to make ridiculous arguments as to why whatever happened is your responsibility. Check his post history. Don't waste your keystrokes. He will never give an inch.
I provide helpful or alternative points of view. I do not provide useless group think...which typically means my responses are unpopular. Being unpopular doen't make them ridiculous. No where did I blame him for this. I presented an argument which the landlord may use against him. The OP was intelligent enough to recognize as much and now he is better prepared.

Last edited by sunny5280; 06-13-2013 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Because he IS - or at least is SUPPOSED TO BE - a pro at what he does. He should know things need to be covered before you start the job. He should know the paint might travel, he should have maybe used a paint roller or whatever those things are called instead, or something to block the paint from spraying all over the place.
One doesn't need to be a professional painter to paint stairs. For example I am going to paint the railing on my patio today. I am far from a professional painter.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:50 AM

Quote:
One doesn't need to be a professional painter to paint stairs. For example I am going to paint the railing on my patio today. I am far from a professional painter.
One doesn't need to be a pro photographer to take a good picture... but I guess when you are taking on a large job like painting a few sets of steps around an apartment building YOU SHOULD know what you're doing - common sense, hello!??!?

Old 06-13-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
One doesn't need to be a pro photographer to take a good picture... but I guess when you are taking on a large job like painting a few sets of steps around an apartment building YOU SHOULD know what you're doing - common sense, hello!??!?
I know what I am doing despite the fact I'm not a professional painter...painting a railing on my patio doesn't require much skill. I imagine the same goes for painting a few sets of steps at an apartment building.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
I know what I am doing despite the fact I'm not a professional painter...painting a railing on my patio doesn't require much skill. I imagine the same goes for painting a few sets of steps at an apartment building.
...and?! where are you going with this? trying to get me ready for another possible reply by the landlord that he didn't have to hire a pro in this situation? Uuum... yes, he did.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
...and?! where are you going with this? trying to get me ready for another possible reply by the landlord that he didn't have to hire a pro in this situation? Uuum... yes, he did.
In a way. It was more along the lines of why do you think the guy who did the work was a professional?

But now that you've stated he should be I have to ask why you feel this way. I suspect the landlord either had his general handyman do the painting or he found someone who would do it cheap (from what you've written it doesn't appear as if your landlord is willing to put out good money for maintenance).

IMO painting stairs, as with my patio railing, doesn't seem like a job that requires paying a premium for a professional. Maybe there's something unique about these stairs which would justify the additonal cost. But of all the apartments I've lived in the general handyman did that kind of work.

And, I'd like to be clear...my arguments are in no way intended to imply the landlord may not be liable for the paint on your car.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM

Quote:
In a way. It was more along the lines of why do you think the guy who did the work was a professional?

But now that you've stated he should be I have to ask why you feel this way. I suspect the landlord either had his general handyman do the painting or he found someone who would do it cheap (from what you've written it doesn't appear as if your landlord is willing to put out good money for maintenance).

IMO painting stairs, as with my patio railing, doesn't seem like a job that requires paying a premium for a professional. Maybe there's something unique about these stairs which would justify the additonal cost. But of all the apartments I've lived in the general handyman did that kind of work.

And, I'd like to be clear...my arguments are in no way intended to imply the landlord may not be liable for the paint on your car.
Boring!

Current Stablemates:
Old 06-13-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Boring!
Then don't read.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:25 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
....wasted keystrokes. But, of course, it is your choice. I'm out.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:06 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Overspray happened to me once and the body shop took care of it> I spent my entire saturday watching them do this and it's intensive (wash, buffer, machine, wax, etc). It wasn't as good as before.

Things to test: move your hand over the paint...does it feel smooth? Do you feel bumps? Those bumps are the old paint.
Avoid submitting multiple bills...if you sent me multiple bills I would have issue thinking you are trying to scam me. Send one bill. Even show where you attempted to help by doing your own work (to save cost). Lost wages should be included.

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Boring!
At this point I have to agree. Sunny you are adding zero substance here, sorry.