Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i sport line
Beden your tip worked, thanks! My grille before and after using some hand sanitizer:

Old 06-13-2013, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 X5 4.8i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1975 View Post
At this point I have to agree. Sunny you are adding zero substance here, sorry.
To the contrary I am adding substance here. More than tturedraider or beden1 have added in their past few posts. You may not like what I have to say but that doesn't mean it lacks substance. Taking the group stance, while popular, may not be the most helpful information.

If you were to start a crusade against me about paying for this damage these are questions I'd want to know the answers for. Whether you like them or not you better have some good answers for them.

But hey...go with the group hug and sing kum ba yah if that's what you feel is best. It won't address your problem but if it makes you feel better so be it. No skin off my nose.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunny5280 View Post
To the contrary I am adding substance here. More than tturedraider or beden1 have added in their past few posts. You may not like what I have to say but that doesn't mean it lacks substance. Taking the group stance, while popular, may not be the most helpful information.

If you were to start a crusade against me about paying for this damage these are questions I'd want to know the answers for. Whether you like them or not you better have some good answers for them.

But hey...go with the group hug and sing kum ba yah if that's what you feel is best. It won't address your problem but if it makes you feel better so be it. No skin off my nose.
This is becoming an argument on your part just for the sake of the argument. It has nothing to do with going with the group or not. I think you are just typing here because you're bored. Beden was right - you won't give an inch even if you stopped making valid points a while ago. What does it matter whether the painter was a pro or not? The fact is he was hired by the landlord and he/both of them are responsible for damaging my car. I don't really care who covers the bill. Unless you have something of value to add I have just responded to you for the last time.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
You may not have been notified but you were aware the moment you saw him working. Furthermore you recognized the potential for a problem given you discussed it with him.
Irrelevant, really. What if the owner was out on travel and never knew about it? It is the workers responsibility to not damage the surroundings. If he can't do his job properly then he should escalate to the property management company. A quick "hey, i can't do this job without potentially damage that car, can you help" would have been sufficient. Property management company would call the owner, and say "please move your car".

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
This is becoming an argument on your part just for the sake of the argument.
Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't make it arguing.

Quote:
It has nothing to do with going with the group or not.
Sure it doesn. I'm sure if my comments were to align with the group then you wouldn't be accusing me of arguing for the sake of arguing.

Quote:
I think you are just typing here because you're bored.
Meetings can be dull.

Quote:
Beden was right - you won't give an inch even if you stopped making valid points a while ago
Wasn't Beden who made that statement. And no I will not give an inch just to appease the group mentality.

Quote:
What does it matter whether the painter was a pro or not?
You tell me...you're the one who brought it up.

Quote:
The fact is he was hired by the landlord and he/both of them are responsible for damaging my car.
I'm mostly in agreement with this. However there is the possibility the landlord can argue you were aware of the work and decided to leave your car parked where it was despite the fact you expressed concern to the worker. Not saying it will be a successful argument but it is something he may make. And it may lead him to refuse to cover the cost of repair. Which means you would then need to pursue it through the courts. And maybe a judge might buy it. Who knows. But, as I said earlier, it certainly makes the situation less than a slam dunk.

Quote:
I don't really care who covers the bill. Unless you have something of value to add I have just responded to you for the last time.
All my posts to you have added something. As does this one.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:03 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
This is becoming an argument on your part just for the sake of the argument. It has nothing to do with going with the group or not. I think you are just typing here because you're bored. tturedraider was right - you won't give an inch even if you stopped making valid points a while ago. What does it matter whether the painter was a pro or not? The fact is he was hired by the landlord and he/both of them are responsible for damaging my car. I don't really care who covers the bill. Unless you have something of value to add I have just responded to you for the last time.
fixed that for ya

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 06-13-2013, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
fixed that for ya
thanks, sorry!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Irrelevant, really. What if the owner was out on travel and never knew about it?
The point is, as I said in my very first post, he became aware of it. Furthrmore he recognized the potential for damage. Despite this he left his car exposed. Would he have done anything different had he been made aware of it beforehand? Doubtful. Therefore whether he had prior knowledge really becomes a moot point.

Quote:
It is the workers responsibility to not damage the surroundings.
I agree. But I imagine the landloard would try and argue he became aware of it, recognized there might be a problem, and despite this left the vehicle in place. Would that be a successful defense? I don't know...but if I were the OP I'd want to have the answers to these questions ready should they be asked.

Quote:
If he can't do his job properly then he should escalate to the property management company. A quick "hey, i can't do this job without potentially damage that car, can you help" would have been sufficient.
Again I suspect the worker didn't feel there would be any damage. And his conclusion is reinforced by the OP reaching the same conclusion.

Quote:
Property management company would call the owner, and say "please move your car".
And if the OP felt, as he did after speaking to the working, there was unlikely to be any benefit and left it where it was? Then what? Should the landlord have it towed? From what I gather from the OP the work wasn't being performed right next to his vehicle. I got the impression the car was a reasonable distance away from the work being performed. Enough so that two people, the worker and the OP, both reached the conclusion it was safe.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Beden your tip worked, thanks! My grille before and after using some hand sanitizer:

It does look like it's working. I'm glad it helped. Maybe a bit more elbow grease and all will be gone. Try using Q-tips on seams, etc. You can let it sit on the area for a few minutes to let it soften up the paint spots. Then go over it with fresh sanitizer.

If there were any paint spots left on the painted surfaces, did it also work there?

I actually used it the first time because my daughter parked under some kind of pine tree that had sap from hell. There were large blobs that had hardened and nothing I used took it off. I had a bottle of the hand sanitizer in my garage to clean my hands of grease, and I decided why not give it a try. It worked like a charm and did not hurt the paint finish.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM

Quote:
The point is, as I said in my very first post, he became aware of it. Furthrmore he recognized the potential for damage. Despite this he left his car exposed. Would he have done anything different had he been made aware of it beforehand? Doubtful. Therefore whether he had prior knowledge really becomes a moot point.

I agree. But I imagine the landloard would try and argue he became aware of it, recognized there might be a problem, and despite this left the vehicle in place. Would that be a successful defense? I don't know...but if I were the OP I'd want to have the answers to these questions ready should they be asked.

Again I suspect the worker didn't feel there would be any damage. And his conclusion is reinforced by the OP reaching the same conclusion.

And if the OP felt, as he did after speaking to the working, there was unlikely to be any benefit and left it where it was? Then what? Should the landlord have it towed? From what I gather from the OP the work wasn't being performed right next to his vehicle. I got the impression the car was a reasonable distance away from the work being performed. Enough so that two people, the worker and the OP, both reached the conclusion it was safe.
Where is that "Beating a Dead Horse" smiley thing-a-ma-bob from the message list? I thought it would be most appropriate here!

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-13-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
Where is that "Beating a Dead Horse" smiley thing-a-ma-bob from the message list? I thought it would be most appropriate here!
If you think I'm beating a dead horse what is it you think you're doing by making this post?
Old 06-13-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
If you think I'm beating a dead horse what is it you think you're doing by making this post?
Asking you to consider moving on since you already made your point crystal clear.

Current Stablemates:
Old 06-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Asking you to consider moving on since you already made your point crystal clear.
You do realize the post you quoted was directed towards someone else, was made three hours prior, and no further discussion was made until you decided to make a completely useless comment.

It's ironic you're whining that I'm beating a dead horse and by doing so you're engaging in the very behavior you're criticizing. Further irony is that my comments, while they may not be received positively by some, are at least on topic. Your bitching about them is not and adds nothing.

Last edited by sunny5280; 06-13-2013 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:02 PM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:

You need to use BMW Betalink glue cleaner... paint-safe, quick and no need to scrub the specks -scrub = swirls.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
I believe the legal term for what Sunny5280 was suggesting is "contributory negligence". It's a possibility, but somewhat remote in this case.
The painter is a professional, due to the fact that he is painting for a payment, thus it's a profession.
Instead of filing a claim with your insurance company i would file it with the building's insurer or if a painting company was used, they should have general liability policy. You then do not have an issue of a deductible. Construction companies damage cars quite often, i see a lot of claims of this sort being paid by their general liability insurance.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
I believe the legal term for what Sunny5280 was suggesting is "contributory negligence". It's a possibility, but somewhat remote in this case.
The painter is a professional, due to the fact that he is painting for a payment, thus it's a profession.
Instead of filing a claim with your insurance company i would file it with the building's insurer or if a painting company was used, they should have general liability policy. You then do not have an issue of a deductible. Construction companies damage cars quite often, i see a lot of claims of this sort being paid by their general liability insurance.
Everything you are saying is correct, but assumes that the "professional" has liability insurance. There are many contractors out there who operate without liability insurance, taking their chances.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by voip-ninja View Post
Everything you are saying is correct, but assumes that the "professional" has liability insurance. There are many contractors out there who operate without liability insurance, taking their chances.
If building owner hires uninsured contractor or fails to validate the insurance, then it's building's insurance company that is on the hook. Real estate is usually insured.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Swedish Murder Machine

Mein Auto: 328i x-drive
True enough, just pointing it out.
Old 06-14-2013, 09:22 AM

Quote:
I think the only way to deal with cases like Sunny is add to the ignore list. He has moved way past reasonable argument and has clearly demonstrated he will never stop trying to get the last word - even if it makes zero sense. He chooses to ignore all our remarks that kill his points and blindly push forward like a mole. Tough case.

Old 06-14-2013, 11:19 AM
Past Sponsor

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW M3
grey spray paint all over my F30 - not sure if I want to just cry or kill someo

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371230378.886914.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	228.6 KB
ID:	381725

That is all.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-14-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Quote:
I had a bottle of the hand sanitizer in my garage to clean my hands of grease, and I decided why not give it a try. It worked like a charm and did not hurt the paint finish.
Nice tip. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:55 PM

Mein Auto: 02 325CI and 09 corvette
same thing happened to me, I found a auto body shop they charged me 150 to wet sand and buffed it out came out good, look as if it came off the show room floor
Old 06-15-2013, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
3M Hand Glaze and it will be like glass. Use a light buffer, or take it to your local detail shop. It will come out.

2013 750i (F01) :: M-Sport | Executive Pkg (BMW Apps / Ceramic Controls / Front Ventilated Seats / Power rear & side window sunshades rear sunshade / Smartphone Integration / Head-up Display / Instrument panel with Napa leather) | Rear Entertainment Pkg | 20" 303 5 spoke wheels
Old 06-17-2013, 05:54 AM

Mein Auto: 4.8 X5
hey david sorry about your car, 2 months ago this happened to 3 of my houses cars, we brought a detailing company and did hard and soft polish and waxing, they were removed easily in our case hope your case is the same

1 Question, is your car imperial blue or tanzanite?
Old 06-17-2013, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 320, 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gokudo_90 View Post
hey david sorry about your car, 2 months ago this happened to 3 of my houses cars, we brought a detailing company and did hard and soft polish and waxing, they were removed easily in our case hope your case is the same

1 Question, is your car imperial blue or tanzanite?
I'm almost 100% certain that car is jet black.