Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2013, 08:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i
When I turn my wheels I hear a 'pop' everytime i turn them

2007 BMW 328i sedan

Every time I turn my wheels I hear a 'pop' I have been hearing this practically ever since I bought it almost 2 years ago and now I am just getting around to asking what in the world it is? Also when I listen and I turn the wheel all the way to the left are right I hear this "Pshhhh" noise like it is some hydraulics saying hey that is as far as the wheel turns, stop.

What is that?

Also, last question, when my car has been off for a while and I open the door to go and start it, I hear this electronic noise every time i open the door like it is getting ready to be started and same thing after I turn the car off it does it after about 10-15 minutes after being off, is that the electronic fuel pump moving in position that makes that electronic noise?

Last edited by Morketh; 06-12-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 06-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
... when I listen and I turn the wheel all the way to the left are right I hear this "Pshhhh" noise like it is some hydraulics saying hey that is as far as the wheel turns, stop.
That is exactly correct.

Nowhere near enough information for me to comment on the other noises.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in period. You can guess the rest. BMW CCA
Old 06-12-2013, 08:56 AM

Yea not sure what more information I can give on the loud pop i hear when I turn the wheels, it does it every time as if it is hitting something but I have looked and cant see anything. Sounds as if I were to knock on wood 1 time with my knuckles
Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
The pop I can't help with. I would have suspected a bad bearing, but if it happens every time you turn and lasted two years, I would expect the bearing to have failed by now.

But the electronic noise is normal -- as you suspected it is the fuel pump staying primed. Several posts were made previously and may be pulled up if you search with the right keywords.

I'd get the pop looked at, though.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 AM

Yea I been meaning to get it looked at lol but Im lazy to take it to the dealership and have them look at it and I know they will try to charge some retarded price
Old 06-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Always laughing loudest

Mein Auto: '11 335i M-sport...by day
You may be right that the dealership will be expensive. That's their reputation, especially if you don't have a good relationship already established or are a long-time customer where they might throw you a bone.

Try www.bimrs.org. Several folks on here use it to find independent BMW mechanics in their area. You might find a good indy gets you a cheaper fix.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:25 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
The most common cause I've had is sway bar end links needing re-torquing. That would be my first look-see as it doesn't have a cost. After 2 years and you don't have any other issues related to steering/alignment/handling, doesn't sound too serious.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Alright I took it in and they said it was the passenger side lower control arm that was making the popping noise, going to get it quoted to see how much it costs to change it. They did say that I don't have to and it will most likely be fine though
Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 323i
When I turn my wheels I hear a 'pop' everytime i turn them

Was going to say control arm. Same noise on my Mercedes. Probably have to change both sides.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morketh View Post
Every time I turn my wheels I hear a 'pop'....

What is that?

All righty then....suspension check LONG overdue!

• Inspect for bad bushing[s] and ball joint[s]
  • Have shocks & struts checked
  • Replace shocks & struts at 60k mi use even if they 'seem good' - Koni FSD's much recommended
  • Re-torque all suspension parts with wheels at normal ride height
  • Yup, that includes sway end links and upper shock & strut nuts - rear upper shock nuts a b***h!
  • Inspect & re-torque strut tower brace
  • Have the car aligned - that would include verifying ride height within spec

OK, a qualifier: Has your suspension been modified in any way?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Thumbs Up 07.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	391203

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 08-12-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
If you're lowered, it could be the springs binding.

Lower control arm bushings tend go around 30k on this chassis.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | H&R Coilovers | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine Type-R 1242D | JL 500/1 | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |