Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 328i
Question Simple (OK, maybe stupid) Question

I recently purchased a CPO 2009 328i. It's a pretty basic model in terms of features but, as as fun second car, just what I wanted.

It has daytime running lights that are always on in the 'auto' headlight setting. These lights drown out the angel eyes.

Is there ever a time/setting when the angel eyes are visible on this car?

I did some searching and see where I can purchase LED lights sources to brighten and whiten the angel eyes, etc., but, what good is this if the headlights are always on?

Sorry if I should have checked the manual for a detailed explanation. Is there some mode where the DRLs are not on and the angel eyes are?
Advertisement
Old 06-12-2013, 10:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Alpinweiss F32
You say it is basic in terms of features, so you probably don't have iDrive. However, check pages 92/93 of your owner's manual. I just looked at it online and I think your answer is on those pages.
2015 435i ///M Sport | Alpine White | Coral Red | 19" | Auto | Cold Weather | Driver Assistance | Dynamic Handling | Lighting | Premium | Technology | M-Sport Brakes | Rear Sunshade | HK | Leather Dashboard | MPPK | MPE | Leather Dashboard | Dinan Suspension | BMWCCA #409820
PCD: 10/31/2014
Old 06-12-2013, 10:57 AM
Evil cider brewer

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
My '06 base model 325 has no DRL's, and the so called AE's on this halogen headlight equipped model are wimpy. The bulb for the AE's looks like it is out of a flashligh! My '10 loaded 335 with bi-xenons that I have modded with nice white LED AE's, and when the lights are on AUTO both the inside light (DRL) and the AE's light up. There is a way to turn off the DRL's on the base model using the stalk controls, but I'm thinking that AE's are only on when parking lights are on, which also lights up the tails. See your manual for how to turn off DRL's using stalk controls. If you have the halogen lights the only way to get nice AE's is to upgrade to xenon's. There are several suppliers for these, but it's an expensive upgrade.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Simple (OK, maybe stupid) Question

Even without iDrive you should still have the option to turn the DRLs on/off using the computer between your clusters. (That display will become your friend, I'd suggest learning up on it.)

Perhaps I am mistaken, but I've always been under the impression that the halos aren't on when the DRLs are... Only with the parking lights or low beams on the LCI halogens.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-12-2013, 11:07 AM
Evil cider brewer

BTW, when I first purchased my 325, I saw all of these 3 series cruising around with their nice looking AE's, and I thought that it would be a simple bulb change. After doing the research I concluded that I was better off just to enjoy my car for what it was until I had enough money to upgrade the entire car! It's up to you how much you are willing to spend based on how long you plan to keep your car. Most of the mods that you can make to the 325/328 will be cosmetic, as they don't respond much to HP mods (unless it's a newer 328 turbo). It's still a very nice car, so enjoy!
Old 06-12-2013, 11:11 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Dude, there is no stupid Questions unless you ask or act like a: Douche, retard, Dik, AssHat questions.

This forums is created for a reason, to share information and to connect other fellow bummers throughout the nation.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
I'm a bit confused. The angel eyes ARE the DRLs. Your actual headlights should not be on during the day.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Evil cider brewer

The inside headlights serve as DRL's, and run dimmer when in DRL mode. The AE's will light up also in DRL mode.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Dude, there is no stupid Questions unless you ask or act like a: Douche, retard, Dik, AssHat questions.

This forums is created for a reason, to share information and to connect other fellow bummers throughout the nation.
I love you man
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM
Evil cider brewer

OK, here's an example of AE's and DRL's on at the same time:
http://http://www.cargym.com/images/CE1102979W-3.jpg
Old 06-12-2013, 01:05 PM

Thanks be to all. I appreciate the feedback.

I will look into turning off the DRL just to see what the AE operation is in this state. In reading the manual concerning headlight functionality, they aren't ever even mentioned.

WRT to the AEs and my value/enjoyment or the car, they aren't critical to me. I'm not a "hey look at me" type. If I was, I probably would be driving something sexier than a base 3 series. I absolutely love the car for what it is. Tight, responsive, and fun to drive. I'm just not a big fan of DRL and if I can shut those off and leave the AEs on, all the better!

Thanks again, I do appreciate this forum. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. Hey, maybe down the road and a couple of cars later, I'll be able to help others. I'm a member of a forum for my motorcycle and have finally reached that point. It feels good. I just know nothing about these cars. Yet......
Old 06-12-2013, 01:12 PM
Found the Search Button

Let's back up a minute... Coupe vs sedan have different behaviors, especially if we are talking about halogens vs xenons.

OP's is an 09 sedan, correct?

Old 06-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Evil cider brewer

I guess I could have noted that my 325 base is E90, and the 335 loaded car is E92, if that helps.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: 328i LCI
Strange. Maybe Canadian cars have different programming. Here, DRLs are mandatory on all vehicles. BMWs have the angel eyes as DRLs, and that is the only thing on during the day. I have never seen the inner lights activated on any BMW here.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:49 PM

Yes, OP has a sedan. A basic 328i. No idrive.

The lighting behavior is as follows:

DRL on = inside beams lit dimly, inside AE on, outside (low beam) lights and AE off.

Low Beam HL on = outside low beam lights on, inner and outer AE on.

High Beam HL on = in/out headlight pairs on, inner and outer AE on.

Today, I turned off the DRLs and, yes, this is a programmable feature even in my base car, and the AEs go off with the DRLs. Kinda weird. The AEs must be powered/controlled separately from the inner high beam bulbs but, they seam to be tied to the low beam bulbs. That is, when the low beams are on, outer AE are on. When off, AE off. Not the case with the inner/high beam bulbs.
Old 06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Found the Search Button

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodadnules View Post
Yes, OP has a sedan. A basic 328i. No idrive.

The lighting behavior is as follows:

DRL on = inside beams lit dimly, inside AE on, outside (low beam) lights and AE off.

Low Beam HL on = outside low beam lights on, inner and outer AE on.

High Beam HL on = in/out headlight pairs on, inner and outer AE on.

Today, I turned off the DRLs and, yes, this is a programmable feature even in my base car, and the AEs go off with the DRLs. Kinda weird. The AEs must be powered/controlled separately from the inner high beam bulbs but, they seam to be tied to the low beam bulbs. That is, when the low beams are on, outer AE are on. When off, AE off. Not the case with the inner/high beam bulbs.
The AEs are lit by a single bulb in the back of the housing. It may seem like the inner one is lit, but that may be stray light from the dimmed high beam which is functioning as your DRL.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
The AEs are lit by a single bulb in the back of the housing. It may seem like the inner one is lit, but that may be stray light from the dimmed high beam which is functioning as your DRL.

Ya, you are probably right about that. The AEs are simply light pipes after all.

So, in summary, what we have concluded is that AEs, on my year and model, are NEVER on without headlights. Then, when the headlights are on, they are pretty much not visible.

So, why are they there again? I find this odd....
Old 06-18-2013, 07:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
So, in summary, what we have concluded is that AEs, on my year and model, are NEVER on without headlights. Then, when the headlights are on, they are pretty much not visible.
Have you tried this:
  • DRLs off
  • Engine on
  • Light switch in "corner lights" position (one click to the right from "Off")
On my 2009, this brings on the angel eyes and the corner lights without the headlights. I'll use this position in light rain and towards dusk, with or wiithout the fog lights as needed.

FWIW,
George

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 06-18-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: '13 135i M Sport 7DCT
Most of 328i models, especially close to base configuration do not come with xenon light option ($1K). Only xenon lights have yellow angel eyes, base lighting does not have angel eyes, just regular light bulb serving as DRL.

Base non-xenon lights:

Optional xenon lights with halos:

Old 06-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Found the Search Button

Quote:
Ya, you are probably right about that. The AEs are simply light pipes after all.

So, why are they there again? I find this odd....
Haha, unless you have a coupe or cabrio. Then they are always running. Those are their DRLs.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:23 AM

No, Zooks527, I haven't tried that but, now I will. Thanks.

With regard to the physical implementation, the halos are included. I don't think the car has xenon lights. They are yellowish like a standard halogen but, again, the tubular halo light pipes are installed.

Not sure I understand bocabimmer, the lights on my car are as I stated and, only in one configuration (dim headlights on = both inner and outer AEs on) is an AE on when the main light bulb behind it isn't. The AEs are NOT the DRL. Quite the contrary.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Found the Search Button

The coupe's headlights use the halo rings as the DRLs. The inner section works for flash to pass and when turning. They operate entirely differently from the sedan... That's all I was saying.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: 06 330i MT Sport TiAg
OP

So are you asking how to have your AE's on with no other lights on?
If yes, you need to search for AE as DRL. You have 2 options.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmr3sn View Post
OP

So are you asking how to have your AE's on with no other lights on?
If yes, you need to search for AE as DRL. You have 2 options.
I did the search. 71 results. Read at least 10 of them. Various options including reprogramming, cables, stock settings, etc., all based on a wide variety of different models.

If you know what the options are, would you mind telling me?
Old 06-18-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Have you tried this:
  • DRLs off
  • Engine on
  • Light switch in "corner lights" position (one click to the right from "Off")
On my 2009, this brings on the angel eyes and the corner lights without the headlights. I'll use this position in light rain and towards dusk, with or wiithout the fog lights as needed.

FWIW,
George
I tried this and it works. Thanks. Now I know a way to do it if I decide to. It's sort of a hassle since I appreciate fully auto lights, wipers, etc. I like to get into the car, push the button, and drive!

Thanks again.