Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:58 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
I'm doing ED and ordered a Garmin 2577LT instead. I've driven in Europe a lot with Garmins and they work great. I just don't need Nav at home and if I do I'll use the Garmin or Google Maps. Spending $2100 wasn't a good value for me.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328i
martyl, I am debating doing the same. I am worried a standalone Garmin won't be up to par compared to the BMW unit. Is the Garmin loaded with Euro map already?

In the US, a smartphone with Google Nav works so good over bluetooth in the car, I find it difficult to purchase the BMW unit. The savings is actually only $1500 because it is still advised to get enhanced bluetooth so you have voice guidance from the vehicle speakers (which is $650 option).

Last edited by openwheelracing; 06-13-2013 at 07:05 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:27 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
So given all of these replies, my own included, about the poor performance of the nav, I still wouldn't get my car with out it. Its just too nice how its all integrated into the car. I don't have to worry about if its battery is charged (phone) or how much of the battery I'm going to drain on the drive or plugging it in for the drive. I love that I can send addresses to the car from Google. Its a much larger screen than my phone and generally, it does a pretty good job of getting you where you want to go. So, for its few shortcomings, I'd still get it. The convenience of it is just too handy. Yes, I know, its a lot more expensive than my phone.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:32 AM

Mein Auto: MKV Jetta
This isn't the new iDrive that you guys are talking about right? Because that hasn't been released yet to the F30. So whatever the problems you are having most likely were fixed in the new iDrive....I may be wrong.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thyrilumi View Post
This isn't the new iDrive that you guys are talking about right? Because that hasn't been released yet to the F30. So whatever the problems you are having most likely were fixed in the new iDrive....I may be wrong.
But, are they still using the same mapping company? That's where the problem is. My 07 Nav was much better at "giving" directions. "Take the 2nd right" was so much better than "turn right in 300 ft" (actual distance is usually about 1/2 of what she says).
Old 06-13-2013, 09:01 AM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Haven't had many bad routes with NAV in L.A.... I like it! You can observe your route and tweak it as well. I do send locations from Google maps to car, that's very useful.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: Nissan Maxima
Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelracing View Post
martyl, I am debating doing the same. I am worried a standalone Garmin won't be up to par compared to the BMW unit. Is the Garmin loaded with Euro map already?

In the US, a smartphone with Google Nav works so good over bluetooth in the car, I find it difficult to purchase the BMW unit. The savings is actually only $1500 because it is still advised to get enhanced bluetooth so you have voice guidance from the vehicle speakers (which is $650 option).
Yes, this is the only Garmin model with Europe maps loaded on it. It costs $229.00. The unit gets great user reviews so I'm counting on it to be as effective as past models have been.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: nothing
My route settings is set at fastest. Yesterday, there was some traffic on the freeway so the route got adjusted... making the route 9 miles longer by having me go away from my destination and looping around to another freeway. The destination was originally only 18 miles away. I decided to ignore it and take local for a bit to avoid the freeway traffic and once the nav figured out what I was doing it adjusted to my route and said I just saved 4 minutes on my route! It makes no sense! Its "fastest" route calculation resulted in not the fastest route while adding 9 miles to my originally 18mile trip. I hate using this nav.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkevx View Post
My route settings is set at fastest. Yesterday, there was some traffic on the freeway so the route got adjusted... making the route 9 miles longer by having me go away from my destination and looping around to another freeway. The destination was originally only 18 miles away. I decided to ignore it and take local for a bit to avoid the freeway traffic and once the nav figured out what I was doing it adjusted to my route and said I just saved 4 minutes on my route! It makes no sense! Its "fastest" route calculation resulted in not the fastest route while adding 9 miles to my originally 18mile trip. I hate using this nav.
No kidding. It will route me a way and tell me it will take me 30 minutes, but I know there is a faster route so I start driving that way and after it realizes I'm going a different route it recalculates using that route and suddenly it only takes 24 minutes. Well stupid computer, you can obviously get me there that way and you now show me that its 6 minutes faster, so why the heck didn't you take me that way in the first place???
Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
I've had a lot of issues with this sort of thing. Its too bad they don't just pair up with Google Maps and then the maps would be continuously updated, you could use satellite images, and you would get nice efficient routing.

Your location would then be available to anybody wishing to pay Google.

NSA come to mind, for no reason at all....
Old 06-13-2013, 12:52 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Haven't had many bad routes with NAV in L.A.... I like it! You can observe your route and tweak it as well. I do send locations from Google maps to car, that's very useful.
Happy NAV user in the SF/Silicon Valley area here (and I send from Google quite often as well).

The only shortcoming is the NAV not knowing about car pool lanes. It tries to reroute me when the 101 is gridlocked except for the HOV lanes...would be nice to have a parameter to tell it to consider the carpool lanes.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:54 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post

Yikes....and the car can start ratting us out to the CHP whenever we exceed 80mph.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by 408Racer View Post
Yikes....and the car can start ratting us out to the CHP whenever we exceed 80mph.

Too late! Police routinely use cell phones to find & track individuals - Highway Patrol has found that immensely useful. Bonus: Can be activated as a listening and, if lucky, video observing device w/o any indication that it's on.

There are few defenses....metalized/mylar bag; battery removal. Even then ya gotta worry about a capacitor powering what you thought was yours....lights up like a cigarette on an inky night when outta the bag & power available.

GM now has OnStar in everything. BMW SOS: dandy tracking & listening electronics. I say: Install a switch into the microphone and/or antenna wires. Ha!

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-13-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:10 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Re: 2013 NAV system: NOT impressed

Quote:

You don't think someone could pay BMW for that now? They know where my car is at all times already with their OnStar like stuff (suddenly can't remember its name)

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-13-2013, 01:13 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Re: 2013 NAV system: NOT impressed

Quote:
Too late! Police routinely use cell phones to find & track individuals. Highway Patrol has found that immensely useful. Bonus: Can be activated as a listening and, if lucky, video observing device w/o any indication at all that it's on.

There a few defenses....metalized/mylar bag; battery removal. Even then ya gotta worry about a capacitor powering what you thought was yours....
So paying Google isn't going to be much more of a chance then they already have with my cell phone.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-13-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: X5 35d
BMW, Porsche and MB nav are the WORST!! How bad?? I use my iPhone to guide me in my 2012 X5....which has nav.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: G37x
I'm torn between if I like the Navigation or not compared to my G37x Navigation. I put in an address yesterday and it showed me arriving at 4:30pm, yet I arrived at 4:05pm. I was 2 miles from the place and it showed 30 minutes remaining on my trip. Yet when I did the reverse directions to come home after it was correct on the arrival time. Another time it said I reached my destination but I was still a block away. The navigation on the G37x would tell me to make a legal u-turn (if the business is on the other side of the road) The BMW just showed me as arrived at my destination.

BUT I do love having the HUD with the GPS. I do not look at the map anymore and just rely on the HUD instead. I would never buy a car without the GPS. I don't like having the window mount units and after using it with the HUD just makes me love having it in the car more.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:48 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
I'm torn between if I like the Navigation or not compared to my G37x Navigation. I put in an address yesterday and it showed me arriving at 4:30pm, yet I arrived at 4:05pm. I was 2 miles from the place and it showed 30 minutes remaining on my trip. Yet when I did the reverse directions to come home after it was correct on the arrival time. Another time it said I reached my destination but I was still a block away. The navigation on the G37x would tell me to make a legal u-turn (if the business is on the other side of the road) The BMW just showed me as arrived at my destination.

BUT I do love having the HUD with the GPS. I do not look at the map anymore and just rely on the HUD instead. I would never buy a car without the GPS. I don't like having the window mount units and after using it with the HUD just makes me love having it in the car more.
Granted its been awhile since I had my G35 (2003 I think I got it) and the 2 things I remember about the nav is that the woman talked way too much and that I didn't like the "time to arrival" as opposed to the "time of arrival" that you have with BMW. It should really be an option that you can toggle in both cars. But with the Infiniti displaying only travel time and not time of arrival it was very frustrating trying to figure out if I was making up any ground on time. Didn't the Infiniti woman also tell you the side of the road the place is on? With BMW I end up looking all over if its a business I've never been to trying to figure out which side its on.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:50 AM

Mein Auto: G37x
Quote:
Granted its been awhile since I had my G35 (2003 I think I got it) and the 2 things I remember about the nav is that the woman talked way too much and that I didn't like the "time to arrival" as opposed to the "time of arrival" that you have with BMW. It should really be an option that you can toggle in both cars. But with the Infiniti displaying only travel time and not time of arrival it was very frustrating trying to figure out if I was making up any ground on time. Didn't the Infiniti woman also tell you the side of the road the place is on? With BMW I end up looking all over if its a business I've never been to trying to figure out which side its on.
Yes, she did talk a lot. I got so used to it that it took a few weeks to get used to less. Yes the Infiniti would tell you the side of street. It's not a huge deal but something I've grown used to. 99% of the time I usually view the maps online to see the business before I leave. This gives me a heads up on where it is.

Time of arrival or time to arrive didn't bother me much, although as I said above my arrival time was off by 25 minutes on the way to my destination but fine on the way back.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace88 View Post
BMW, Porsche and MB nav are the WORST!! How bad?? I use my iPhone to guide me in my 2012 X5....which has nav.
I love the nav in my Porsche. It's the best one, IMO, compared to the others we have in BMWs, Chevys, and Audi.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-14-2013, 07:52 AM
John & Kris Aiken SC

Mein Auto: "13 335i Conver & "14 X6
Nav

328Sport: I agree the nav system we have 2013 X5 and 335i convertible suck. cannot find our home and cannot even find the dealership 1 to 1.5 miles off. Yes routes are bad. We have HOWEVER had Google map a route and send it to the car and in fact gives us a good route ..can even get us to our home. Navtech is just a poor system...never had any problems with our older F150, Lexus or Toyota vehicles.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Didn't the Infiniti woman also tell you the side of the road the place is on? With BMW I end up looking all over if its a business I've never been to trying to figure out which side its on.
BMW also tells you the side of the street (it did even in my 2010 535) but not if you send a destination via Google. It needs to know the house number, whereas Google only sends the lat-long coords.

(No longer referring to Snareman's post) - people like to hate on nav systems because they don't take the route you would. I don't think that's the point of nav. I remember visiting some friends in Philly once and we went to the Independence Museum. I set the nav going back from the Independence Museum to their home. The nearer we got to their home, the more back-seat driving I got from the wife member of the friends - I can't believe it's telling you to go there! You should have turned back there! Jump up this side street here! OK, you know what? If you know the route that well, don't use the g*amn nav! The whole point of the system is to help you when you are in unfamiliar territory.
Old 06-14-2013, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyl View Post
Yes, this is the only Garmin model with Europe maps loaded on it. It costs $229.00. The unit gets great user reviews so I'm counting on it to be as effective as past models have been.
You can buy Euro maps (SD Card) from Garmin or other sites for about $80. Have used it extensively in my NUVI and it does not disappoint.
Have BMW Nav in my F30 and while all the integration is great, IMHO not worth the $$$. Just order an E89 and skipped the BMW Nav. iPhone or Garmin will get me there perfectly.
335Cabrio-2011 ED -retired
Z435i 2009 -retired

Z4 2004 -retired
Old 06-14-2013, 03:51 PM

Mein Auto: ~
Sadly, a Garmin Nuvi at a couple of hundred dollars is vastly more user friendly and competent than the BMW built in navigation.

One would think BMW would have reviewed what was available and made certain its system was at least vaguely competitive. Sadly, this was obviously not a consideration.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:03 PM
Life in da fast lane!

Gotta have my HUD.