Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-12-2013, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Convertible
2012 328i Convertible Engine Failure

Hey, I just wanted to see if I am the anomaly here or if this has happened to others.

I have a 2012 328i convertible and love it. I don't abuse the car or anything like that. Mostly highway cruising.

Basically, I was driving home from work and at about 6:00 PM I started to heard a thumping, whining and general bad noise coming from the engine. There were no errors and the system said it was fine, which was not right. I have a video of that noise.

I immediately called the dealership and Bobbi heard the noise while I was talking to her. She advised me to bring it in immediately, which I did. As I was driving to the dealership, the sound was a thumping and got louder. Then I hear some metal, a loud boom and a ton of smoke. The car's computer then decided to give an oil pressure error. I pulled off the side of the road and had to really get on the brakes to stop the car. I called the tow truck and that was it. When I drove the car onto the truck, the engine started (barely) and made a thumping noise and then stalled out within a few seconds. Again, the brakes were very difficult to use. and there was oil spilled on the road.

I dropped this piece off at the dealer and they gave me a loaner. The best part is that I drive A LOT and leased the car with plenty of mileage to cover that (25k a year). I already have 51,300 ish. The dealer is trying to get BMW NA to do a goodwill repair and are hopeful it will get done, but who knows. I was already told that just parts are about $15k. The engine is shot and they need a brand new one.

Has anyone had this experience before or am I the only freak? I am hoping either BMW covers it or offers a buyback or trade assist. Honestly, I don't really want it back because I am paranoid. If they do a new engine, I wonder if my lease miles start over.

I am prepared for the worst. Luckily, my fallback is my GEICO mechanical breakdown insurance, which covers up to 100k miles and they said this would fall under it. Who knows though.

Here is some video before it went. Wish I had the actual moment and all of the nice language I used to express my frustrations.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/43106562@N03/9028690064/

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled
Ads by Google
Old 06-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
I think you're looking at an engine replacement; that looks/sounds bad.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust
Old 06-12-2013, 03:40 PM

Yeah, they said the engine is cooked. The dealer is saying that they'd replace the entire thing. Just waiting to hear what BMW NA says about covering it.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-12-2013, 03:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
I would pursue the GEICO option, before asking BMWNA to do a goodwill. I find no fault in how you are proceeding though, and wish you the best in this matter.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoVU View Post
Yeah, they said the engine is cooked. The dealer is saying that they'd replace the entire thing. Just waiting to hear what BMW NA says about covering it.

What exactly went wrong?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:14 PM

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
I'd also really like to learn what went wrong.

Current Stablemates:
'14 MB GL450; '12 Porsche 911 GTS Cabriolet (MT); '11 BMW E93 335is (DCT); '11 BMW E90 M3 (MT); '11 Audi S4 (DSG); '08 BMW E60 535xi; '08 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Favorite Cars Gone But Not Forgotten:
'09 Corvette ZO6; '04 MB S600; '01 BMW 740iL; '01 Corvette; '90 Nissan 300ZX 2+2; '89 Jeep Grand Wagoneer; '79 BMW 320i; '79 MB 300D; '71 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400; '67 MG Midget
Old 06-13-2013, 04:41 AM

I'm going to try and stop by the dealer today to get more information. However, when they called to take a statement, they told me that the rod bearing was loose, which is that sound in the video. Then it just worked completely free and it went.

They said they inspected the engine and there was no sign of hydrolock. All service was performed at the dealer and it was last there a few weeks ago for an idling issue. They "fixed" that with a software update and replaced something in the HVAC system (not home and can't remember the part). I still had an occasional strange idle, but less than before.

Old 06-13-2013, 05:22 AM

Quote:
I'm going to try and stop by the dealer today to get more information. However, when they called to take a statement, they told me that the rod bearing was loose, which is that sound in the video. Then it just worked completely free and it went.

They said they inspected the engine and there was no sign of hydrolock. All service was performed at the dealer and it was last there a few weeks ago for an idling issue. They "fixed" that with a software update and replaced something in the HVAC system (not home and can't remember the part). I still had an occasional strange idle, but less than before.

I'm very interested. There has been some discussion re: sintered vs. forged billet piston connecting rods.....click HERE

Go to posts 158 & 159 for links to reading material - have run across nothing lately on the issue of sintered rod weakness. Really, your issue may be a defect rather than inherent problem.

Important: Which cyl failed? Pics of damaged parts? Those pics, if can get, very much appreciated - post here!!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:42 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
I'm very interested. There has been some discussion re: sintered vs. forged billet piston connecting rods.....click HERE

Go to posts 158 & 159 for links to reading material - have run across nothing lately on the issue of sintered rod weakness. Really, your issue may be a defect rather than inherent problem.

Important: Which cyl failed? Pics of damaged parts? Those pics, if can get, very much appreciated - post here!!
This trust fund baby's car was heavily modified, including methanol injection (smh at this one ... really) ... Isn't the OP's car a bone stock N52?

Old 06-13-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
This trust fund baby's car was heavily modified, including methanol injection (smh at this one ... really) ... Isn't the OP's car a bone stock N52?

He ain't no trust fund baby! Still have his meth pkg, so far no issue found. And yup, looks like OP's unmodded. Should raise eyebrows....
Old 06-13-2013, 08:02 AM

Yeah, no mods at all. It was strange too. I drive in heavy Philadelphia traffic everyday, so it's not like I am beating the car. Even then, I had a 335i a few years ago and that thing got a workout. The N52 is a solid engine that's been around and I'm hoping it was just a very rare occurrence that doesn't affect anyone else.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Hmmmm

Last edited by 3two8iguy; 06-13-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:22 AM

I6 3.0L RWD

Old 06-13-2013, 08:34 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
In-line 4cylinder,240HP 2.0- liter rear drive ,is that correct?
No he has an inline 6-cyl NA engine
Old 06-13-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Yeah, no mods at all. It was strange too. I drive in heavy Philadelphia traffic everyday, so it's not like I am beating the car. Even then, I had a 335i a few years ago and that thing got a workout. The N52 is a solid engine that's been around and I'm hoping it was just a very rare occurrence that doesn't affect anyone else.

Please post detail as soon as you can - guessing you threw a rod; hole in the engine block....?
Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
If I heard a loud knocking noise from my engine I would pull over as immediately as possible and call a toe truck

now if you want to get rid of the car drive till it explodes

Hondo
Old 06-14-2013, 06:40 PM
A little show a lotta go

Mein Auto: E90 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Awfully judgemental considering I'm just an engineer who likes to drive his project / hobby around. FWIW, I worked my way through school while earning my undergrad and paid off my student loans in 2 years, bought my wife and I a house and then decided to spend a little on my toy. I thought that's what car forums like this were for... to share the love of cars with other enthusiasts.

As for your main point, I agree that my engine failure is much more likely due to additional stresses I placed on the motor, however the settings and tune I was running at the time were pretty conservative.

OP, sorry for your ordeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
He ain't no trust fund baby! Still have his meth pkg, so far no issue found. And yup, looks like OP's unmodded. Should raise eyebrows....
Caught my attention. I can empathize for the guy as it's no fun to get rides into work for a month while your project gets open heart surgery. Thanks for the defense, CAL! :thumbsup:

Any progress on the meth testing?

6MT/Cobb St2+/KW V1/Spec2+ Clutch/ER Dual Oil Coolers/ETS FMIC/ER Chargepipe/Synapse BOV/RPI Scoops/BMS DCI/AR DPs/Magnaflow/BSH OCC/CDV Mod/35% tint/
Drilled & Slotted Rotors/M3 Front-Rear-Sides-Control Arms & Air Ducts/Advan RS/Michelin PSS/SonicTuning CSL Trunk/LS3 AEs/6000K Xenons/P3 Vent Boost Gauge/
Engine #2?
Old 06-15-2013, 06:29 PM
Code/wrench Monkey

Mein Auto: Miata NC2
Is the first 328i real engine failure we've seen? (i.e. a new engine is needed). I've been off and on this forum since the E90 was launched and don't recall any

Six Euro Deliveries since December 1998 (Owned E46, E90, E91, E92 and E93)

28 vehicles in 26 years of driving so far. Guess I like cars
Old 06-16-2013, 07:32 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDeeky View Post
Awfully judgemental considering I'm just an engineer who likes to drive his project / hobby around. FWIW, I worked my way through school while earning my undergrad and paid off my student loans in 2 years, bought my wife and I a house and then decided to spend a little on my toy. I thought that's what car forums like this were for... to share the love of cars with other enthusiasts.

As for your main point, I agree that my engine failure is much more likely due to additional stresses I placed on the motor, however the settings and tune I was running at the time were pretty conservative.
Yeah, I was judgmental considering most on that site, apologies. Yes, the light that burns twice as bright, will burn half as long.