Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: Mercedes Chevy Ford Toyot
Jacking up all 4 wheels

What is the best way to jack up all 4 wheel and then put car on jack stands?

If I use the predetermined jack points on the car for the jack, then where is the best place for the stands to go?
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2013, 09:43 AM
BMW CCA 1405

Mein Auto: 1997 BMW Z3 1.9 5MT
If you use the four jack points to lift the whole car, you will evidently put a floor jack under one of them at a time, lift one corner at a time, and put a jack post under a subframe further under the car. This seems difficult and dangerous to me, rocking the car as is is raised, changing the loads on the jack stands and maybe even pushing on them.

I put a large floor jack under the differential body, raise the rear of the car, and put padded jack stands under the plastic jack pads ahead of the rear wheels.
Then I go to the front, put the jack under the cross member, raise the front of the car, and put padded jack stands under the plastic jack pads behind the front wheels. It is quick and easy.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 Roadster
Best way? Get one of these:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/2-Post-Lifts

or these:
http://www.gregsmithequipment.com/4-Post-Lifts

Seriously, I have a friend with a 4-post lift and it's pretty sweet. When not in use, he stores his Boxster above his Mustang. It has a jack tray between the rails, so you can lift either end of the car while it's in the air. It's easy to drive on and off as well as open the doors. And it has casters, so you can move it around to accommodate different needs.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '01 Z3 3.0i Roadster
Another alternative is to jack each side of the car up by placing the jack pad under the center of the frame rail just to the inside of the rocker panel. The frame rails are incredibly stout and the entire side can be easily lifted at that point. Put stands under the jack points at front and rear, and then repeat from the other side.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:08 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
There are six jacking points on the car. See this post: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=37

Now, to do this without damaging the side panels, which are PLASTIC covering over the chassis. you need a LOW, long, trolly jack (inappropriately call a RACE jack) to get to the center jacking points. If you don't have one of those jacks, then you need to jack the car up in a two step process.

1. Jack up each front wheel and place a block or something under the wheel so the car is now high enough to get to the front center jacking point. You can buy RaceRamps, or make your own... There are any number of ways to do this. It's not that hard....

I made these out of one 8ft, 2x10'. I had HomeDepo cut it to the lengths I wanted, then just screwed them together. Cost me $8.50.
You can just drive up on them or jack up each side and place them under a wheel, which is normally what I do.

I was using these 4x4's (screwed together), but I like the home make ramps better.

One you have the front end raised enough, put your jack on the front center jacking point and raise the car, put the front jackstands under the front side jacking points and lower.

The rear is normally high enough to get your jack under the center point to jack it up.

I also use old hockey pucks as spacers between the jacking plate and the car.

If your car does not have the four hard plastic jacking points, only oval holes, you need to buy four of them and install them.

There are almost 20 different threads and a hundred posts, just on this forum about this topic. Search is your friend. It really, really is...

Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
... Jack up each front wheel and place a block or something under the wheel so the car is now high enough to get to the front center jacking point...
I push my big floor jack under the car to the front crossmember without jacking up the front wheels. The jack slides right under the front.
However, for a high lift onto the top position jack stands, it does help to drive the front wheels up onto low ramps, and make room to put some wood onto the floor jack's plate. The rear end does not need this, as there is more room under the diff to add wood than there is under the front cross member. I have low ramps like yours:

My car still has its original black hard plastic jack pads. I place my felt-padded jack stands under them and lower the car to rest the plastic pads on the felt-covered jack stands. Same as you do, and it works well. Done this several times, for changing fluids and struts/shocks, and hand scrubbing the bottom of the car with a wash rag.

Last edited by vintage42; 06-13-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:04 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
I do not know the undercar layout of the Z3 but I always use the center jack point. This point is on the 'reinforcement plate' and distributes the load all over the front end. I guess that's why BMW says to use it.
Like I said, there are a lot of ways.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 06-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Mein Auto: 06 M Coupe, 01 X5 4.4i
Not sure what car you have but on the Z4 coupe. Jack up rear jack point just in front of the rear wheel. Put jack stand under front jack point. Now you can fit the jack under the front and jack up from the center jack point. Put jack stand under remaining front jack point. Go to rear of car and jack up from central jacking point just aft of differential. Put jack stands under rear jack points. Go to work.
CDV delete, clutch stop, BMW pedals, Strongstrut bar, SS brake lines, radiator hole cover, brake duct stop removal, Gunmetal M3 reps, roundel under hood, Intravee II ipod adapter, Homelink, air bag sticker delete, first aid storage under seats, Bumper plugs keyhole cover, painted reflectors, Headlight washer disable, Mstache front lip, Autosolutions SSK, Leather Z arm rest, Stromung exhaust, RPI scoop, RTAB limiters, powerflex bushings front, TC Kline DA coilovers…
Old 06-14-2013, 12:49 PM
fauxsuper

Mein Auto: 1998 Z3 2.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage42 View Post
I push my big floor jack under the car to the front crossmember without jacking up the front wheels. The jack slides right under the front.
However, for a high lift onto the top position jack stands, it does help to drive the front wheels up onto low ramps, and make room to put some wood onto the floor jack's plate. The rear end does not need this, as there is more room under the diff to add wood than there is under the front cross member. I have low ramps like yours:

My car still has its original black hard plastic jack pads. I place my felt-padded jack stands under them and lower the car to rest the plastic pads on the felt-covered jack stands. Same as you do, and it works well. Done this several times, for changing fluids and struts/shocks, and hand scrubbing the bottom of the car with a wash rag.
Now I know why the bottom of your car looks so clean. I was wondering "Doesn't it rain in Kentucky?" Here in San Diego, it seldom rains, but when it does, the roads are covered with an oily goo because it's sometimes been 90 days or so since the last rain. I remember spending hours cleaning the bottom of my 914 a number of years ago, then it rained the next day and I had to go to work. In a couple of days the oil had attracted all sorts of dust and grit. At least we don't have salt on the roads to deal with.

Last edited by fauxsuper; 06-14-2013 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:38 PM
BMW CCA 1405

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryb97 View Post
... on the Z4 coupe. Jack up rear jack point just in front of the rear wheel. Put jack stand under front jack point. Now you can fit the jack under the front and jack up from the center jack point. Put jack stand under remaining front jack point. Go to rear of car and jack up from central jacking point just aft of differential. Put jack stands under rear jack points. Go to work.
On my Z3 I can insert the floor jack to the differential, and then the crossmember, with clearance.
I see that on the Z4 you evidently do not have clearance to reach the cross member. So to avoid using a low ramp in front, you jack the rear which raises the front jack points, then put low jack stands under them, then lower the rear which rocks the front end up enough to get the floor jack on the cross member. Then you jack the front up high, raise its jacks to high, and then go to the rear again to jack up the differential to full height and place the rear jack stands.