Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92 335i
30k on the odometer

And thinking I should change out gearbox and differential oils, what should I expect to pay at an Indy shop vs BMW service since they are no longer covered by maintenance warranties? Just want to have some idea before I start making calls. Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Originally Posted by daytrader View Post
And thinking I should change out gearbox and differential oils, what should I expect to pay at an Indy shop vs BMW service since they are no longer covered by maintenance warranties? Just want to have some idea before I start making calls. Thanks.
Well you just make a call and get a quote, then compare the two/three/or more.
Prices differ by market and location.

EDIT: go to http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...72&catalogid=0 to get an idea on the OEM parts/liquids pricing

Last edited by lqaddict; 06-13-2013 at 08:41 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
Well you just make a call and get a quote, then compare the two/three/or more.
Prices differ by market and location.

EDIT: go to http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...72&catalogid=0 to get an idea on the OEM parts/liquids pricing
Funny, but seriously...Is that a Vizsla?
Old 06-13-2013, 08:55 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
FWIW, my BMW dealer did not service the diff, because it does not have a drain plug. I asked if the can vacuum it out via the fill port but they said it does not allow to do this per their service instructions. They said the only option BMW offers in their recommendation is to drop the entire diff and drain it, reinstall and refill. I think it would have been around $700. For $1,300 you can get the rear carrier for the rear transaxle (which I believe houses the fluid). So it seems that I can either pay for service and after 2 services almost paid for what a new rear diff would cost, or just take my chances and replace it if it does ever break.

Not sure as to how much fluid a vacuum can extract through the fill hole and how much difference the new fluid will make for longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY

Last edited by cwinter; 06-13-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
FWIW, my BMW dealer did not service the diff, because it does not have a drain plug. I asked if the can vacuum it out via the fill port but they said it does not allow to do this per their service instructions. They said the only option BMW offers in their recommendation is to drop the entire diff and drain it, reinstall and refill. I think it would have been around $700. For $1,300 you can get the rear carrier for the rear transaxle (which I believe houses the fluid). So it seems that I can either pay for service and after 2 services almost paid for what a new rear diff would cost, or just take my chances and replace it if it does ever break.

Not sure as to how much fluid a vacuum can extract through the fill hole and how much difference the new fluid will make for longevity.
Wow, didn't know that! Sounds like BMW wants us to take our chances, and most likely out of warranty. Go figure?

Last edited by daytrader; 06-13-2013 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM
Salz und Pfeffer

Mein Auto: 2014 F22 M235i
Quote:
Funny, but seriously...Is that a Vizsla?
No, it's an American Pit Bull Terrier
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lqaddict View Post
No, it's an American Pit Bull Terrier

Great people dogs, just watch out for the neighbor's Shih Tzu around lunchtime!
Old 06-13-2013, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
FWIW, my BMW dealer did not service the diff, because it does not have a drain plug. I asked if the can vacuum it out via the fill port but they said it does not allow to do this per their service instructions. They said the only option BMW offers in their recommendation is to drop the entire diff and drain it, reinstall and refill. I think it would have been around $700. For $1,300 you can get the rear carrier for the rear transaxle (which I believe houses the fluid). So it seems that I can either pay for service and after 2 services almost paid for what a new rear diff would cost, or just take my chances and replace it if it does ever break. .
Now, my indy did my front diff, transfer case, and ATF change, but didn't do the rear diff because of the lack of a drain plug.

My local BMW dealer quoted me north of $800 to do the whole "drop the diff" thing. I then called the SA I'd worked with before, asked him if his shop had gone nuts, and got a quote (from the same dealer) to do it through the plug with a pump for $150 - $180 or so.

For the OP: My 90k service at an indy was plugs, filters, front diff, transfer case, ATF, ATF pan/filterfilter, and brake fluid. +/- $1200 for the whole package, plus the extra $180 for the rear diff at the dealer.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion

Last edited by Zooks527; 06-13-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Anyone know why BMW wont vacuum it out,whats the reason?
Old 06-13-2013, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Good Lord. Don't you know those are lifetime fluids? They will never go bad; never degrade. They are immortal.

But if one felt compelled....30k too soon for much diff.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Good Lord. Don't you know those are lifetime fluids? They will never go bad; never degrade. They are immortal.

But if one felt compelled....30k too soon for much diff.
Yeah, yeah, I know "Lifetime", but who's?
1) Car's life,
2) The life of a well maintained tranny,
3) The life of a never serviced tranny,

Last edited by daytrader; 06-13-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xDrive coupe
Quote:
Yeah, yeah, I know "Lifetime", but who's?
1) Car's life,
2) The life of a well maintained tranny,
3) The life of a never serviced tranny,
Lifetime of the warranty.

Prior 33 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette (kept until first Bronco) / 1981 Subaru GL wagon AWD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 (big mistake) / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
Wow, I didn't know not having a drain plug was such a big deal. daytrader, I don't think it will cost much because as far as I can tell (at least on my MT), these two fluid changes look to be the very easiest after oil (assuming someone is willing to use the fill hole to drain for you). My guess is half hr charge on the diff (but will be much quicker than that), and my dumb guess on at least an MT, half hr charge. Just my dumb guesses, but if you know their hourly rate, and if I'm actually right, you should have a ballpark idea.

OEM diff fluid is $18/liter, and you need ballpark 1.3L for 335i. 2 quarts total of each, Redline $26, Motul $36.

I'm doing OEM on every possible fluid and filter, except trying Red Line D6 for my MT, $11.50 per quart, I'm getting two bottles.

Allow me a brief hijack? While my dumb guess is that it's not worth it, do any of the esteemed members here opt to use magnetic plugs anywhere, but particularly diff and trans (assuming they're even available at the right size)? Not going there myself, but just curious...
Old 06-13-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

Could there be better proof that public schools are not meeting traditional standards?

Check this timely DIY, wherein your dealer might get a clue....
Old 06-13-2013, 01:43 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
If you do consider DIY^, I might recommend this hex bit set. (I've made at least two poor purchasing decisions so far, and one of those was trying to cherry pick individual hex bits, and I still ended up ordering this $15 set.) It has the bit needed for diff (very big 14mm, your big box stores won't have it) and 8mm for the MT. Also, the 5mm lets you take engine cover off for the plugs.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-13-2013, 02:20 PM
Here comes trouble!

Just to clarify, I do not believe the dealer is INCAPABLE of doing it or wants to make my life miserable. They need to follow BMW procedures when doing service and suctioning out the diff via the fill port is not SOP for them. If they mess the diff up, I can turn around and claim they used an unapproved method. It's the world we live in.

I might have it done next time the car is at the indy, but I'm not sweating bullets at night over the diff. I'm much more likely to do that about the water pump, fuel pump, alternator...stuff that normally breaks.

Quote:
Old 06-13-2013, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: '00 Z-3 '06 325ixT
Quote:

WHAT?
Take it to an indy (or DIY) & have them suction out the 7 or so oz. of lube then refill. The fill hole is small so a 1/2" diameter plastic hose is needed. Mike Miller covered this topic in Roundel. The process, once the car is in the air, takes minutes.
For the life of me I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why some BMW owners don't question some of the obviously stupid recommendations coming out of the mouths of these dealers. It's your car, it's your money. Find an independent shop you trust and deal with them adult to adult.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Yeah, w/o drain plugs or dipsticks, etc, one get the idea BMW doesn't want us much under the hood. Well I'll do what I need to...even if I have to go to my indy shops!
Old 06-14-2013, 09:39 AM
Here comes trouble!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westech View Post
WHAT?
Take it to an indy (or DIY) & have them suction out the 7 or so oz. of lube then refill. The fill hole is small so a 1/2" diameter plastic hose is needed. Mike Miller covered this topic in Roundel. The process, once the car is in the air, takes minutes.
For the life of me I DO NOT UNDERSTAND why some BMW owners don't question some of the obviously stupid recommendations coming out of the mouths of these dealers. It's your car, it's your money. Find an independent shop you trust and deal with them adult to adult.
I think you misread my comment but I understand your anger.

BMW simply has a process that is very pricey to service this part, as they don't intend for it to be serviced. I don't lose sleep over it, as the members posting about failed diffs is pretty low. I might have the fluid replaced at an opportune time, but I'm not asking my dealer to do something that potentially might be in violation of their commitments to BMW.

Quote:
Old 06-14-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
I think you misread my comment but I understand your anger.

BMW simply has a process that is very pricey to service this part, as they don't intend for it to be serviced. I don't lose sleep over it, as the members posting about failed diffs is pretty low. I might have the fluid replaced at an opportune time, but I'm not asking my dealer to do something that potentially might be in violation of their commitments to BMW.
Are they still doing these, diff and mt services, on M cars, Anyone know?