Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-13-2013, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: Navigator
new 09 335i owner.

Hi guys and girls. i finally own my first BMW. its a used 2009 335i with the M package and premium package. so i believe its pretty loaded. tell me your thoughts on my buy.

2009 335i sedan with 72,000 miles
CPO till 100k
maintnance package that expires in june of 2015
I paid 25,000
this isnt my first turbo car, I own a 1987 BUICK Grand National that put down 525rwhp on 16psi

love the car so far, the only thing that worries me, some what is the milage. but i have a few friends with BMWs with over 180k miles on thier cars. so that does make me feel alot better. I also only owe 10k on the car loan.

SO did i do okay, or was it foolish to pick up a bimmer with so many miles???
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
I'd say on THIS engine, I would keep to the extreme extra maintenance. Research here and you'll items like the carbon fouling, plugs, injectors, etc.

Grand National was/is one of my favorite cars

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 06-13-2013, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
I'd say on THIS engine, I would keep to the extreme extra maintenance. Research here and you'll items like the carbon fouling, plugs, injectors, etc.

Grand National was/is one of my favorite cars
love my GN but it will never handle like this 335i. but after i get a better tune and turn up the boost to 25psi, we expect 650-680 to the wheels with my 6765bb turbo.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonys87 View Post
love my GN but it will never handle like this 335i. but after i get a better tune and turn up the boost to 25psi, we expect 650-680 to the wheels with my 6765bb turbo.
True about the handling, but most folks here boost their 335 for straight line stuff anyway ... GM killed the GN because it sleighed the vette ... phenomenal car!

Old 06-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Hi guys and girls. i finally own my first BMW. its a used 2009 335i with the M package and premium package. so i believe its pretty loaded. tell me your thoughts on my buy.

Intake valves blasted?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:13 PM

New plugs due by 80k mi....

You DIY?
Old 06-13-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Intake valves blasted?
I have no idea what this means.. also if the plugs are due at 80k.. would it be covered under maintnance? i am by no means a tech. but i have done alot of my own work on my buick. like injectors,turbo,intercooler,down pipe,.. so i guess im not to scared to f*ck something up..LOL
Old 06-13-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I have no idea what this means.. also if the plugs are due at 80k.. would it be covered under maintnance? i am by no means a tech. but i have done alot of my own work on my buick. like injectors,turbo,intercooler,down pipe,.. so i guess im not to scared to f*ck something up..LOL

Underlined generally means it's a clickable link - click away - you'll be transported! Click again, on the pdf file link you'll see....
Old 06-13-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:

Dunno what maint plan you have - you're out of warranty of course. Better give what you have a read.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Dunno what maint plan you have - you're out of warranty of course. Better give what you have a read.
I'm still under warranty for another 28k miles and the guy said my maintenance plan doesn't expire till June of 2015 which included oil changes,brakes and rotors and so on..
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Quote:
I'm still under warranty for another 28k miles and the guy said my maintenance plan doesn't expire till June of 2015 which included oil changes,brakes and rotors and so on..
Plugs should be covered, but is an easy DIY, walnut shell blastin', you're on your own with that expense.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
This so far is the clearest video I've found to doing spark plugs. The vid does talk a bit about narrowing down the culprit of a misfire, and while I don't have a tune, it's still good to get refreshed for me. I forget torque, but I want to say 17nm(??), the four engine cover bolts are 5mm hex (you may need extension at the bolt closest to passenger mirror).

Burger (Terry) our sponsor has by far the best pricing on OEM plugs I have yet seen. I tried to place an order last night for a set of 6, as well as their spark plug tool, couldn't work the credit card route, am waiting for bank transfer to paypal at this point. The plugs are backordered to late next month anyway, so am in no rush.

Last edited by Ilovemycar; 06-13-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: nm not mm haha
Old 06-13-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Underlined generally means it's a clickable link - click away - you'll be transported! Click again, on the pdf file link you'll see....
THANKS for the link. i read it all.. im still not sure about doing that on my own i have to ask... would running a catch can help after cleaning? with keeping it clean.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovemycar View Post
This so far is the clearest video I've found to doing spark plugs. The vid does talk a bit about narrowing down the culprit of a misfire, and while I don't have a tune, it's still good to get refreshed for me. I forget torque, but I want to say 17nm(??), the four engine cover bolts are 5mm hex (you may need extension at the bolt closest to passenger mirror).

Burger (Terry) our sponsor has by far the best pricing on OEM plugs I have yet seen. I tried to place an order last night for a set of 6, as well as their spark plug tool, couldn't work the credit card route, am waiting for bank transfer to paypal at this point. The plugs are backordered to late next month anyway, so am in no rush.

thanks for the video.. looks very simple to do.
Old 06-13-2013, 04:07 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Quote:
thanks for the video.. looks very simple to do.
You are quite welcome. BTW, welcome to the fest. CAL was nice enough to post a bunch of other DIY videos in the last thread that I created, though they aren't quite as good as this video above. Diff and MT seem very, very easy. Coolant not so much. (It's considered "lifetime" like the diff, but you will see that this word is rather infamous around these parts.) I've found that so far Tischer has the best pricing when shipping is considered, but you won't find aftermarket fluids if you want to go that route ever. Turner has a 10% off sale this month on customizable maintenance packages, but after shipping the price isn't the most competitive, I think anyway.

Tischer has a combo "tune up" package that also comes with the microfilter (5 min job), and engine air filter (1 min job). I believe we are to change the latter every 3 oil changes. Serpentine looks extremely easy to change if yours looks all beat up to hell. I was thinking about doing mine, but after some research here, I believe DSX might scold me very much for fixing something that ain't broke.

I think the biggest fear for a few members at that mileage is the electric water pump. I guess all you can do is have it inspected for any signs of leakage, spotting, etc. Oil changes are easier on BMW as the filter is on top, there is a special tool adapter that lets you torque it back correctly if you care, fits on a 27mm socket I'm pretty sure. I bet you can add that on with the tune up pack I mentioned above. Some years my engine doesn't eat oil, but in the least few thousand miles, it's eaten nearly a quart.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:02 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
congrats and welcome aboard
Old 06-14-2013, 03:48 PM

Just talked to my service guy at BMW.. To get the intake blasted is only 300 dollars. I'm gonna pay to have it done, instead of doing it myself.

Last edited by Tonys87; 06-14-2013 at 03:50 PM.