Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:28 AM
The kid.

Mein Auto: '86 E24
Questions About Painting

The front spoiler/airdam on my E24, as well as the sunroof lid and the rear spoiler could use new paint. I have many questions:

1. What do I use to get the original paint off? Sandblast it? Good ol' sandpaper and elbow grease?

2. My front spoiler/airdam is structurally cracked. Can I use Bondo or should I use something else?

3. What is the preferred primer to use? I'm used to using ordinary rattlecans for priming, but I don't think it will suffice.

4. Where do I get Bronzit-Beige Metallic paint? I don't want touch-up paint, I want PAINT paint.

5. Other than spray equipment and a compressor, what other supplies do I need?

Also, I will be bringing the sunroof lid to a professional to paint it.
Ads by Google
Old 06-16-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i
1. Sandpaper. Get a good DA sander and some paper for it.

2. They have special epoxy for fixing flexible parts, bondo can crack is used on plastic because the plastic likes to flex a bit.

3. 2k epoxy primer is what I would use, it comes with the paint and a hardener that you mix together. Its good stuff.

4. Any paint supply store, bring your vin and the car and they should be able to mix it up for you. Get two stage paint/clear if you want it to look like factory.

5. Thats pretty much all thats really needed. Other stuff can make it easier, and make the end result look better.

Youtube/Google is your friend with DIY body work like this. The channel 'swrnc' and that guys related channel called 'diyautoschool' are very helpful, if you've never done bodywork before.

Good luck! Its pretty easy with a little bit of practice. I had a go at it with no experience and my first job turned out okay. It gets easier with more practice.