Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 AM
If in doubt...go flat out

Mein Auto: 2011 Space Grey Z4
FROM EDMUNDS.COM concerning the 2011 BMW Z4

Standard equipment on the sDrive30i includes 17-inch wheels, adjustable sport driving settings (steering, throttle and automatic transmission if applicable), automatic adaptive xenon headlights, automatic wipers, a fully powered retractable hardtop, cruise control, leatherette premium vinyl upholstery, six-way manually adjustable seats and a sound system that includes a single-CD player, auxiliary audio jack and HD radio. The sDrive35i gets you a more powerful engine, sun-reflective leather upholstery, automatic climate control and brushed aluminum interior trim.

The sDrive35is gets an even more powerful engine, a standard dual-clutch automated manual transmission, sportier steering and the M Sport package that is optional on the other Z4 trims. This package includes 18-inch wheels, adaptive suspension dampers, an aerodynamic body kit, increased top speed, a thicker M steering wheel and 10-way manually adjustable sport seats with power bolster adjustment.

A regular Sport package available on the 30i and 35i includes only the suspension, seats, increased top speed and 18-inch wheels (the 30i sticks with the 17s). The Cold Weather package adds to all models heated seats, a heated steering wheel, retractable headlight washers and a trunk pass-through. The Premium package adds auto-dimming mirrors, power-adjustable seats, BMW Assist telematics, Bluetooth and on the 30i, leather upholstery and automatic climate control. The Premium Sound package adds a 14-speaker sound system with two subwoofers, satellite radio and an iPod/USB adapter. Many of the above package items are available as stand-alone options, along with Comfort Access keyless entry (push-button start is standard), automatic transmission shift paddles, front and rear parking sensors, automatic high beams, a navigation system (includes the iDrive electronics interface) and a six-CD/DVD changer. The 35i and 35is can be equipped with 19-inch wheels.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:33 AM

Mein Auto: S4
Thank you, Fripp!

Ok..so which one would you choose (both certified pre-owned) and how much would you offer the dealers?

2011 30i $43K (MSRP - $53.5K) - 15K miles / premium package

2011 35i $50K (MSRP $58K) - 7K miles / premium package + cold weather package

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!

Last edited by cellg8; 06-17-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:44 AM

Only YOU can answer that question...

It all comes down to what you want in your next car, cost and how you'll use the car.
My situation...and yours may vary (ha ha)
I was coming out of an '08 335 after 2 High pressure fuel pumps and turbos gone at 79k miles I wanted to go back to the tried and true 3.0 I had in my previous 330ci.
I would love the have the power of the 35 versus the 30 but for my daily commute and some spirited weekend jaunts the 3.0 is more than adequate for me.
I did take the Z4 on the track two week ago and would have loved to have had more HP and torque.
I would HIGHLY recommend you drive both and see what your butt tells you...which one feels like the car you have to have?

Good luck!

By the way, I wouldn't worry about the carfax...they are CPO and I'm willing to bet they're clean or the local dealer wouldn't have "Certified" them.

J.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:49 AM

Fripp -

thanks but they're both out of state so I can't test drive them...

Also this car is for my father...my gift to him. Hope he won't mind an used car..
Old 06-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Wow, what a great son...if price is no object for your Dad's happiness...get him him the
35i...if he's in a clod climate he'll appreciate the heated seats, steering wheel.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:02 AM

Fripp - so right! I forgot that we're in Seattle..lol...
Old 06-17-2013, 12:56 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 3.0i, 2003 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp1964 View Post
FROM EDMUNDS.COM concerning the 2011 BMW Z4

A regular Sport package available on the 30i and 35i includes only the suspension, seats, increased top speed and 18-inch wheels, (the 30i sticks with the 17s).
This is incorrect, Sport package (ZSP) adds 18" wheels to the 30i

2011 E89 Z4 30i Crimson over Ivory (Munich delivery, redelivery at Performance Center)
2003 E46 325i Touring Oxford Green over Sand
Old 06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellg8 View Post
Thank you, Fripp!

Ok..so which one would you choose (both certified pre-owned) and how much would you offer the dealers?

2011 30i $43K (MSRP - $53.5K) - 15K miles / premium package

2011 35i $50K (MSRP $58K) - 7K miles / premium package + cold weather package

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!
All other things being equal, there is no choice here. You go with the 35i. The power and dual clutch transmission alone are easily worth $7K more. By the 2011 models the high pressure fuel pump issues were pretty much resolved. Plus you will probably appreciate the CWP in a northern climate. I would probably offer around 90% of the asking price and negotiate from there. I would definitely mention to the 35i dealer that my alternative is $7K less.

One key question to consider - what tire size are they and are both still equipped with the OEM tires? That's the one expensive thing that the BMW warranty doesn't cover. The 30i is probably going to need new tires very soon if they have not already been replaced.

Not sure about your dad, but for me the premium sound and comfort access were must haves as well. When I did my search I also wanted NAV , which is rarely installed on Z4's. I regularly drive both my 35i and my son's 30i and my car is 1000X more fun.

Good luck.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 06-17-2013, 09:56 PM

Thank you, gentlemen...

Ok...so I showed wife the cars tonight...and she thinks the cars look dated compared to 2013 that I showed her on BMW site yesterday... first of all, the gear shift center console looks different 11 vs 13...

Also, wife feels that with NAVI the car looks more updated... is NAVI a touch-screen?

Thank you.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:21 AM

No touchscreen on Navi and I wouldn't want it
(I heard yesterday that due to some consumer compplaints that Ford is putting buttons back on next year)
Who wants a screen with a bunch of fingerprints and smears on there. That was a knock on Caddy's new CUE touchscreen.

I have Navi on my last two BMWs and love that feature. As I said earlier...it's a personal choice. I like it and use the phone/audio and bluetooth audio to death !

Is your Dad really going to notice the difference between an '11 and a '13....just the nuts on here LIKE ME notice that stuff

J
Old 06-18-2013, 05:30 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
No. Sport package also provides for sport seats, which are seriously more comfortable than regular seats.

+1 on the sport seats. Absolutely worth it.

Don't see much point in getting an 35is over an 35i unless you plan to race. But if you are racing why get a convertible???
The models and equipment (standard and optional) illustrated in this post reflect my misunderstanding of vehicles supplied by BMW AG to the German market. In other EU member states, the truthyness of my posts may vary. Please ignore this post. Subject to change.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Meinkugelschmerzen

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4, 2007 X3
Generally, with BMW, more money = more power and a better level of trim. It depends on what your pain threshold is. Check out TruCar for some idea of what Z4's are going for. Seattle has several BMW dealers, so play one against the other to see if who gives you the best price. Also, your bank, company or credit union may have a new car buying service, which should give you a good price as well because they generally get fleet pricing.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:49 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
My opinions, and YMMV, but here are several things to consider:

The 35i is pretty much the sweet spot in the used Z4 line. You get the big 6 cyl's torque without: the extra co$t, stiff riding 19" rubber band tires and boy-racer blat of the all-out 35is (Still, I would buy a 35is).

Cars with NAV include iDrive, which takes a bit of getting used to, but now I wouldn't buy a car without it. The iDrive controller is why that center console looks different. Without iDrive, you get a cheapy storage bin instead of a pop-up NAV screen.

There are two distinct exterior looks: M-Sport, and everything else. The bumper caps and some trim items are different. . Look at both side-by-side and decide.

Just as in the Z3, Sport Seats are a MUST on a Z4... they offer more support, are more comfortable on long trips, are multi-adjustable and the side bolsters help keep you planted during spirited cornering. . They are included in the M-Sport package, Sport package, and sometimes avail as a stand-alone option. Try both and you'll see. You can tell them at a glance, because the sport seats have a separate under-thigh bolster at the front of the bottom cushion... most all BMW lines offer similar sport seats.

2011 cars... BMW USA offered a ridiculously low payment lease to clear inventory of 2011's. The residual lease-end value was insanely high (good for us). But when these cars come back at lease end, the dealers HAVE to buy them from BMW at that high residual price. Someone has to pay for all this and it falls to the used car customer. Dealers have artificially marked up their prices so they dont sell these 2011's at a loss. No three-year old car with an MSRP of $58,000 is now worth $50,000. Arm yourself with selling prices of three-year old Boxsters, SLK's, etc and educate your salesman to real-world used car values. Its a $42,000 car, IMHO. You'll probably get a much better deal on a 2010 or 2012.

Happy shopping!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335is
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellg8 View Post
Thank you, Gentlemen!

I do not know about ultimate driving experience! Good tip!

Also powerwise....do you feel 28i is that much weaker than 35i/35is?

I'm looking to buy this car for my dad..he also wanted a convertible. Power is not the main concern for him but I don't want 28i to feel that much slower since it's I4...
I think the best way to look at it is HP to weight ratio. In the 28i you are looking at 1 HP for every 13.77 lbs. vs. the 35i where you have 1 HP for every 11.76 lbs. Obviously, the 35i is going to be faster, but the kind of torque you are getting out the 28i is more than enough to get lots of fun out of it.

BMW 335is, Le Mans blue with Black Dakota leather, Convenience and Premium packages, 19" wheels, 7 speed DCT, heated seats, Nav., Harmon Kardon Logic 7 stereo w/ Satellite radio.