Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Re: I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTerp View Post
I wouldn't... I just know in my area for every one person who might leave frustrated they've got others lining up to buy 328i's at 60-72 mo. financing so they don't mind letting people with capital walk. Very little bargaining power in some area's so remember that if you get a who cares response.
I guess I'm not really looking for bargaining power other than maybe they fix this repair less than a month out of warranty for free. More just want to share my frustration. Actually not that pissed off. Just frustrated

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-15-2013, 11:36 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Yet again. You must ask yourself: Why? What troubleshooting have you done?
There is no way that I'm going to figure it out or trouble shoot my engine. That's why they hook a computer up to it at the dealer. I haven't done anything different with the car.

Last edited by Snareman; 06-15-2013 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:36 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E92 335i MT
Snareman, mine went into limp mode because of VANOS. Don't even know what exactly went wrong with it. Your situation seems a bit different fortunately - mine would get even up to 60 mph it just took couple of minutes to do so

Why "fortunately"? Because I asked how much was repair (it was done under warranty) and the guy told me around $1,600 - but that's BMW funny money. Normal customer should expect to be charged between $2,300 and $2,500.

How about you forget about 435i? Just fly into Stuttgart for your next car and pick it up in Zuffenhausen - chassis code 981. Or wait for 4C - it would go great together with the flag you are flying

2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP ZCW (ED May 17th 2010)

2013 118d BMWNA Special Edition. Black on black cloth (yay!), 5 door hatchback, 140hp diesel. Special edition items: factory debadge| "VW", "Golf" and "TDI" badges factory applied | MT | Standard go flat tires | Spare tire (yay!) | No moonroof (yay!) .
Old 06-15-2013, 12:41 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark K View Post
Snareman, mine went into limp mode because of VANOS. Don't even know what exactly went wrong with it. Your situation seems a bit different fortunately - mine would get even up to 60 mph it just took couple of minutes to do so

Why "fortunately"? Because I asked how much was repair (it was done under warranty) and the guy told me around $1,600 - but that's BMW funny money. Normal customer should expect to be charged between $2,300 and $2,500.

How about you forget about 435i? Just fly into Stuttgart for your next car and pick it up in Zuffenhausen - chassis code 981. Or wait for 4C - it would go great together with the flag you are flying
Yikes!! They better not come back with a number like that. I was never much of a Stuttgart kind of guy. I'd like at least a little practicalness to the car.
Old 06-15-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight_Schrute View Post
Yeah I get ya.... Dated a woman like that once....
are you saying women are high maintenance?!!!

not all are but the ones I meet seem to act like BMW"s
Old 06-15-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
I am with you

BMW E9x models are shxt....

I am going back to E46 after selling both of my cars
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car
Old 06-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Hofmeister Kink

Mein Auto: 2003 530i/5
Makes me glad I got one of the last E3x models.

Last edited by AnotherGeezer; 06-15-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Guess I have been fortunate,my two previous Bimmers ran great and my 2011 328i works like a gem...
Old 06-15-2013, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snareman View Post
I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMW's have been. I've owned 1 Mazda, 3 Hondas, 2 Jeeps, 1 Infiniti and now 2 BMWs. I didn't have a single major problem with any of the other brands - nothing that ever caused them to be undriveable. I had more problems with my first BMW in the first 6 months than my all of my previous cars combined. I've lost track of how many fuel pumps I've gone through (I think I'm up to 5) and again tonight on the way home at 1am my car went into limp mode. Tonight I was close to home, but the first time it happened it was 11pm 2h from home in a McDonald's parking lot, in Seaman, OH 1h+ from any civilization. The closest dealership and/or car rental was 1h+ away.

I'm embarrassed how many times the big flat bed truck has had to come to my little neighborhood to haul my "luxury car" away to the dealer. I'm truly embarrassed every time it comes. It will happen again in the morning. I don't even tell my family or friends that its broken again because its always followed with, "Why the heck do you keep getting them?"

I don't understand BMW's problem. I don't know why the cars are just so darn unreliable or what it is they can do about it. I will NEVER own a BMW out of warranty because that would seem insane to me. I will get a 435, but I won't say it doesn't give me pause. I sure hope they've done something special with that car to make it not repeatedly fail me.
Genuinely sorry to hear. You are a poster I respect. Hope it works out for the best.

PS no HPFP in an E92 M3
Old 06-15-2013, 06:16 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
I guess it's because I like the cars. Every time I get it fixed and it starts working again I forget about the not being able to trust it part until the next time it goes into limp mode again on me.

You haven't given us details of your 'woes' but it seems to be limited to the HPFP. BMW's first announcement of the HPFP recall was in Oct. of 2010...why are you bringing this up now?

Did you purchase, and then drive "un-remedied" cars...unaware of the recall...and are now complaining about BMW's "reliability"?

Any car that you own/buy that hasn't had the HPFP recall should be brought to the dealer for the work...you get a loaner and it's done with! There have been few instances of recalled vehicles (fixed) having HPFP problems after the recall.

I believe the HPFP issue is quite behind us now...and we can move on.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-15-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Yea, I would consider the dud thing except I had no major problems with my last 7 cars and have had both of my BMWs rendered undriveable at least 5 times that I can remember.

Congrats! You have taken a step into a better world.

Now, move up to a S550. BMW'll look as reliable as the US mail.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:25 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

Isn't the HPFP warrantied to 100k?

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
Genuinely sorry to hear. You are a poster I respect. Hope it works out for the best.

PS no HPFP in an E92 M3
I appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Quote:
What problems have you had with it? As for the black mark, everyone seems to say "But aren't BMWs not that reliable?" The mark seems to already be there.
The pump, corrected years ago.

The fuel injectors, corrected a year ago.

Tires and wheels galore (never happened with my other cars in the same area, same roads). Still, this one can be construed to "you dummy, you should have dumped BMW's wheels and tires for better stuff, but it's not a reliability thing".

The intake valves. Corrected a couple months ago.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:44 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
You haven't given us details of your 'woes' but it seems to be limited to the HPFP. BMW's first announcement of the HPFP recall was in Oct. of 2010...why are you bringing this up now?

Did you purchase, and then drive "un-remedied" cars...unaware of the recall...and are now complaining about BMW's "reliability"?

Any car that you own/buy that hasn't had the HPFP recall should be brought to the dealer for the work...you get a loaner and it's done with! There have been few instances of recalled vehicles (fixed) having HPFP problems after the recall.

I believe the HPFP issue is quite behind us now...and we can move on.
I thought I did say what happened, although maybe not in great detail. I've had 2 new BMWs (see my sig).
- I had 3 BMW admitted HPFP failures (between the 2 of cars).
- I had the recall fix done.
- My 4th limp mode was 'fuel pump related'. They said the "hoses to the pump had become clogged." When I asked if the pump itself was bad (since it was supposed to have been fixed for good) the answer I got was, "you know, we can't really tell." It almost sounded like a tacit admission.
- I don't know what the cause of my current limp mode is going to be, but my other 4 were related to the fuel pump so we'll see.

And, I bring this up now because as I said my car went limp again last night giving me 5 limp episodes over my 2 BMWs. 5 times the car isn't driveable, 2 of which occurred far from home. I bring it up now because I am once again freshly frustrated of the lack of reliability of my BMWs. Believe me, I'd love to move on, but my cars keep reminding me that I can't.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
I thought I did say what happened, although maybe not in great detail. I've had 2 new BMWs (see my sig).
- I had 3 BMW admitted HPFP failures (between the 2 of cars).
- I had the recall fix done.
- My 4th limp mode was 'fuel pump related'. They said the "hoses to the pump had become clogged." When I asked if the pump itself was bad (since it was supposed to have been fixed for good) the answer I got was, "you know, we can't really tell." It almost sounded like a tacit admission.
- I don't know what the cause of my current limp mode is going to be, but my other 4 were related to the fuel pump so we'll see.

And, I bring this up now because as I said my car went limp again last night giving me 5 limp episodes over my 2 BMWs. 5 times the car isn't driveable, 2 of which occurred far from home. I bring it up now because I am once again freshly frustrated of the lack of reliability of my BMWs. Believe me, I'd love to move on, but my cars keep reminding me that I can't.
You've had TWO new BMWs (E92s?)
- THREE HPFP failures.
- You said the "recall fix" was done. Second car?
- Then you say there was a "4th" failure. On which car?
- The dealer didn't address or "fix" the issue after the car went into "limp mode? the 4th time?
- Then you claim there was a "5th" time...although there was no "apparent" fix the 4th time?

VERY CONFUSING.

Somehow or other, I don't get the feeling that we're getting the WHOLE story.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)

Last edited by pointandgo; 06-15-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
You've had TWO new BMWs (E92s?)
- THREE HPFP failures.
- You said the "recall fix" was done. Second car?
- Then you say there was a "4th" failure. On which car?
- The dealer didn't address or "fix" the issue after the car went into "limp mode? the 4th time?
- Then you claim there was a "5th" time...although there was no "apparent" fix the 4th time?

VERY CONFUSING.
I don't know why you are confused. I will color code it by car for you.

First car (2007)
-2 pump failures - both fixed - turned in the car at lease end.

Second car (2009)
-1 pump failure - pump replaced

-Then the recall came out. Had the recall done.

-Had a 4th failure (after the recall) as I described above where they wouldn't deny that it was the pump. Said it the tubes to the pump right at the pump were clogged and when I asked if the pump itself was bad they said they couldn't really say. Of course they fixed the problem as the car wasn't driveable otherwise. They fixed the tubing and honestly at this point I don't remember if they actually replaced the pump that time or not as it was last year some time.

And yes, a 5th limp mode last night, cause yet to be determined as the service dept isn't open on saturdays. Thankfully I have a second car or I'd have been in trouble as I don't think I can get a loaner on the weekend.

My bigger point to all of this is that my cars have been undriveable 5 times. It has left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I don't know when its going to happen. Its completely random. I don't really care if its 5 times of fuel pumps or 1 fuel pump, 2 times fuel injectors, 1 gas tank falling out of the car and 1 tire rolling off the car. Overall I don't really care about the cause. I care that I can't depend on the car.

Last edited by Snareman; 06-15-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you are confused. I will color code it by car for you.

First car (2007)
-2 pump failures - both fixed - turned in the car at lease end.

Second car (2009)
-1 pump failure - pump replaced

-Then the recall came out. Had the recall done.

-Had a 4th failure (after the recall) as I described above where they wouldn't deny that it was the pump. Said it the tubes to the pump right at the pump were clogged and when I asked if the pump itself was bad they said they couldn't really say. Of course they fixed the problem as the car wasn't driveable otherwise. They fixed the tubing and honestly at this point I don't remember if they actually replaced the pump that time or not as it was last year some time.

And yes, a 5th limp mode last night, cause yet to be determined as the service dept isn't open on saturdays. Thankfully I have a second car or I'd have been in trouble as I don't think I can get a loaner on the weekend.

My bigger point to all of this is that my cars have been undriveable 5 times. It has left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. I don't know when its going to happen. Its completely random. I don't really care if its 5 times of fuel pumps or 1 fuel pump, 2 times fuel injectors, 1 gas tank falling out of the car and 1 tire rolling off the car. Overall I don't really care about the cause. I care that I can't depend on the car.
The service contract didn't indicate that they replaced the pump ("they couldn't really say")...it should be indicated on your repair invoice?

So now we learn that you have "fuel pump," fuel injector," gas tanks "falling off the car, and tires "rolling off the car" problems, or are you just exagerating?

Geezus, you certainly have a "basket case." Why did it take so long for you to mention these other "problems"?

Can I show you a nice Mercedes?...other than the fact the Mercedes "quality rating" is somewhat suffering these days?
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
The service contract didn't indicate that they replaced the pump ("they couldn't really say")...it should be indicated on your repair invoice?

So now we learn that you have "fuel pump," fuel injector," gas tanks "falling off the car, and tires "rolling off the car" problems, or are you just exagerating?

Geezus, you certainly have a "basket case." Why did it take so long for you to mention these other "problems"?

Can I show you a nice Mercedes?...other than the fact the Mercedes "quality rating" is somewhat suffering these days?
I was exaggerating to make a point. I didn't have a gas tank fall out of the car or those other outrageous things. My point was that I don't care if all 5 limp modes are related to 1 thing (the fuel pumps as it has been up until now as I outlined) or to 5 different things. I don't overall care why the cars keep breaking. I just care that they keep breaking.

Yes, it would be listed on the invoice if they replaced the FP pump last year. Sadly, I'm bad about keeping those things so I can't refer to it. I know I should probably keep them, but for some reason they don't often make it past my kitchen when I get home. I'll ask my SA when I talk to him Monday.

No thanks on the Merc. Most of them seem like a conservative old guy car to me.

Last edited by Snareman; 06-15-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
Guess I have been fortunate,my two previous Bimmers ran great and my 2011 328i works like a gem...
+1 have 46000 miles so far and no issues. Looks like we got the only 2 good BMW's ever made.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-16-2013, 07:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328xi MT

When it comes to bimmers you've got to know when to hold em, know when to fold them. Know when to walk away, know when to run.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using BimmerApp mobile app

2009 E90 328xi MT - Tasman Green - Oyster Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Navigation w/ IDrive - Cold Weather Package - Park Distance Control
Old 06-16-2013, 07:49 AM

Mein Auto: M5 NOW, M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
+1 have 46000 miles so far and no issues. Looks like we got the only 2 good BMW's ever made.
I just put 500 miles on the m3 last night all good EDC is amazing
Old 06-16-2013, 08:32 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
And given what your car has been through that is fairly impressive.

I keep expecting you to come on here and complain about weird rattles and other problems. Sounds like the folks that put your baby back together did a fine job of it

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-16-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
5th limp mode last night

Mileage?
Old 06-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote: