Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: assorted awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
+1 have 46000 miles so far and no issues. Looks like we got the only 2 good BMW's ever made.
Just to state the obvious, from your statements and signatures it looks like both of your BMWs have engines the breathe freely instead of being forced to suck air from a torture device fed by their own exhaust. Okay, so my interpretation may not be technologically accurate, but I think the presence of the now ubiquitous engine torture device makes a difference.

-------
Overall I'm a little confused by some of this thread. While I have seen a lot of threads from new people who basically say why their car sucks and display questionable reasoning skills, that is not the case here. Rather, from what I can tell the OP has contributed, has a history and experience with BMWs as well as other makes, and decided to write about the overall frustrations in a fairly well balanced matter. But some seem to be reacting like this is a troll thread. While troll threads are tiring, I think we need to make sure we're not mistaking something genuine and reasoned for one.

But now I feel like I need to make a puerile comment to keep things light, so um, There once was a car from Bavaria / That seemed to have had auto-malaria. Mechanics sat upon it, replaced all 'neath the bonnet, while I reminisced of driving euphoria. Okay, not funny, but eh.

Last edited by Carraway; 06-16-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:28 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Mein Auto: 435, Grand Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraway View Post
Just to state the obvious, from your statements and signatures it looks like both of your BMWs have engines the breathe freely instead of being forced to suck air from a torture device fed by their own exhaust. Okay, so my interpretation may not be technologically accurate, but I think the presence of the now ubiquitous engine torture device makes a difference.

-------
Overall I'm a little confused by some of this thread. While I have seen a lot of threads from new people who basically say why their car sucks and display questionable reasoning skills, that is not the case here. Rather, from what I can tell the OP has contributed, has a history and experience with BMWs as well as other makes, and decided to write about the overall frustrations in a fairly well balanced matter. But some seem to be reacting like this is a troll thread. While troll threads are tiring, I think we need to make sure we're not mistaking something genuine and reasoned for one.

But now I feel like I need to make a puerile comment to keep things light, so um, There once was a car from Bavaria / That seemed to have had auto-malaria. Mechanics sat upon it, replaced all 'neath the bonnet, while I reminisced of driving euphoria. Okay, not funny, but eh.
I appreciate the kind thoughts Carraway. Thanks. I feel like a few people in this thread have taken an intentionally antagonistic stance in their replies not even trying to read or understand what I've written.

Most definitely not a troll thread. I'd like to think that after 6000 posts and 7 years I'm past being thought of as a troll. Just venting my frustrations with a some cars that I love that I really wish worked better. I made the mistake of telling my dad today, which led him to the question - "why don't you just go get another Infiniti [G37s]? They are cheaper, better looking and more reliable." My answer was something along the lines of "but I like this car."

I sent a polite, complimentary, frustrated email to several people at the dealer including the owner, BMWUSA and Mr. Reithofer. Not sure if that's he real email addy or just the one his admin screens, but I'll see who has what to say. Again, I love the cars. I just wish they were more reliable for me.

Last edited by Snareman; 06-16-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
You need this version of your car:

- J.C. Watts Jr.

Last edited by MMME30W; 06-16-2013 at 02:11 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMME30W View Post
You need this version of your car:
Which version?
Old 06-16-2013, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: assorted awesomeness
Snareman - You're welcome; I felt compelled to say something. I also understand about the Infiniti. I test drove a rare manual G35 sedan a while ago. In short, I liked it from a generally analytical perspective, but I wasn't thrilled by it, like I am with a 3 Series. (I even prefer driving a Mazda 3 over the G35). Anyway, I hope it works out.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carraway View Post

-------

True we don't have turbos and it seems the earlier E90 models were more troublesome. My comment was not a negative response nor did I ever think that the OP was a troll. Trust me I was very skeptical buying one of these and that is the only reason I chose the non turbo straight 6. My boss at the time bought a new 2009 335 and the thing was in the shop for the fuel pump and related issues all the time.

One thing we all can't loose sight of is the fact that even people who own Lexus models can have problems with their cars. CS manager just had a sludge and carbon engine issue with her 3 year old IS. My brother owns a G35 and the timing chain plastic tensioner went causing it to jump timing and ruin the engine at 106,000 miles. Very rare but it happened. I personally have owned 4 Nissan's and unfortunately 2 were a pos with repetitive problems. My 2000 Maxima has 240,000 miles on it and uses the same engine that was in my brothers G35 and is a very reliable car. Anyway I wouldn't blame the OP if he never bought another BMW, but It does appear that the newer models are having a much better track record.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 06-16-2013, 08:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
Will all of us that love BMW's and have little or few problems with them "Please stand up",I read about a lot of problems on this forum and it is very informative but I guess if I was thinking about buying a Bimmer and read about all the problems that we share on this forum I probably would buy a Honda.I have had three BMW's and many other cars,the Bimmers were a bit more costly to repair but all share similar breakdowns.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 PM

Mein Auto: 335i E92
I’m standing up….albeit touching wood at the same time. I broke all the rules, I bought a 2007 n54 second hand with no warranty and I am still smiling.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
I can't recall having had a single car that didn't brake down or otherwise have issues, every so often. The best advice I ever got was to get a car that I love a lot and do not mind fixing.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:09 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3two8iguy View Post
Will all of us that love BMW's and have little or few problems with them "Please stand up",I read about a lot of problems on this forum and it is very informative but I guess if I was thinking about buying a Bimmer and read about all the problems that we share on this forum I probably would buy a Honda.I have had three BMW's and many other cars,the Bimmers were a bit more costly to repair but all share similar breakdowns.
Old Adage: People will tell two other people about something good that happened to them and seven other people if something bad happened to them.

Now, take that paradigm and apply it to internet forums.

It was very ugly in late 2008 early 2009 when every other thread was about HPFP failure. It was a veritable blood bath, but truth be told, many of us have trouble free cars and while sympathetic, aren't freaking out, so no need to request a roll-call.

Snareman,
Sorry to hear about your continued roll of bad luck with your 335i.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-16-2013, 10:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bemo View Post
I can't recall having had a single car that didn't brake down or otherwise have issues, every so often. The best advice I ever got was to get a car that I love a lot and do not mind fixing.
I have owned some really reliable cars (even some BMWs that were/are really reliable). I also had one BMW that was a certified Lemon (both 4+ failed repair attempts AND more than 30 days total time in the shop for all repairs).

Lemon law is there to even the playing field for consumers.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:36 AM
Squeal like a BMW

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi A4
My 2007 E90 335i passed the 79K mile mark this weekend. It is under AAA Autoguard warranty for 7 years/100k miles. As of last December when the water pump failed, the extended warranty has paid for itself two times over.

Just this weekend driving through the sticks of Lexington, Georgia headed to a nearby state park I got another CEL, limp mode warning. My girlfriend was not impressed as we were out of cellphone coverage - she does not understand why someone would pay extra for a car that can't be trusted and I really have no logical response ("but it drives so nice" doesn't cut it). Im beginning to agree with her. Fortunately a restart rendered the car seemingly back to normal but like Snareman, you just can't trust the N54 not to misbehave with no warning. Love the car, hate the headaches. I probably won't re-up with BMW since they are only offering turbos at this point, and I need a more reliable car before the 2 series grand coupe will be available.

Funny thing is I drove SAABs for over 10 years with no engine or turbo related issues other than a failed DI cassette (not saying they were reliable, just not the major drivability issues of the N54).

At the end of the day the N54 was an engine not fully vetted but rushed to market to compete with the higher output engines the Japanese were offering at the time. That's of course just my opinion.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Old Adage: People will tell two other people about something good that happened to them and seven other people if something bad happened to them.

Now, take that paradigm and apply it to internet forums.

It was very ugly in late 2008 early 2009 when every other thread was about HPFP failure. It was a veritable blood bath, but truth be told, many of us have trouble free cars and while sympathetic, aren't freaking out, so no need to request a roll-call.

Snareman,
Sorry to hear about your continued roll of bad luck with your 335i.
Thanks Kat. Waiting to hear from the deal on what they find. I agree - you never see people posting "Wow, my car is running so well."
Old 06-17-2013, 10:38 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxE92 View Post
I’m standing up….albeit touching wood at the same time. I broke all the rules, I bought a 2007 n54 second hand with no warranty and I am still smiling.
Keep your hand on that wood! Glad things are going well with your car sans warranty.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:27 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 328xi
I just purchased my wife her 3rd 3 series and they have been very reliable. First one was a 2002 325xi purchased with 50000 mls and drove to 110000 mls only needed front brakes once and new battery. Next one was 2006 325xi with 45000 mls on it drove it until 120000 it also went through one set of front brakes and a battery, and it did go into limp mode once at a 115000 mls which turned out to be a bad thermostat.

To me that is very good reliability, the thing that impressed me about these cars that we owned was that the motor ran exactly the same with over 100000 mls as it did with 45000. When I traded them in they still ran perfect with no noise or rattles and the same power as when I purchased them.

I just purchased a 2008 528xi with 50000 and as much as I love this site it does make me nervous reading about a lot of complaints of bad reliability. Makes me think I made a mistake purchasing 2 bmw's. I hope this in not the case because my wife and I both love our cars. One of the reasons I chose the 528xi is because it has the same motor as our prior 3 series which were excellent in reliability, plus the great gas milage. I hope to hear from more people that have had good experiences with these cars.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post
I just purchased my wife her 3rd 3 series and they have been very reliable. First one was a 2002 325xi purchased with 50000 mls and drove to 110000 mls only needed front brakes once and new battery. Next one was 2006 325xi with 45000 mls on it drove it until 120000 it also went through one set of front brakes and a battery, and it did go into limp mode once at a 115000 mls which turned out to be a bad thermostat.

To me that is very good reliability, the thing that impressed me about these cars that we owned was that the motor ran exactly the same with over 100000 mls as it did with 45000. When I traded them in they still ran perfect with no noise or rattles and the same power as when I purchased them.

I just purchased a 2008 528xi with 50000 and as much as I love this site it does make me nervous reading about a lot of complaints of bad reliability. Makes me think I made a mistake purchasing 2 bmw's. I hope this in not the case because my wife and I both love our cars. One of the reasons I chose the 528xi is because it has the same motor as our prior 3 series which were excellent in reliability, plus the great gas milage. I hope to hear from more people that have had good experiences with these cars.
Wow, yea, I'd be happy if it was 115k miles for the first limp mode. Not that I'd have the car that long, but that's pretty good.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
On the flip side your car looks pretty freakin amazing....Reliability?? Like I tell everyone buy a Lexus
Old 06-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Worlds Foremost Authority

Mein Auto: 335i E93 - 750Lix
I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
On the flip side your car looks pretty freakin amazing....Reliability?? Like I tell everyone buy a Lexus
Damn it Chop!

I wanted to do the "Buy a Lexus" post.

CA

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Drivers Club at Lime Rock
The Glen Club (Watkins Glen International)
International Motor Racing Research Center
BMWCCA
Cayman Club Nor'Easters
Madison Ave. Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (Only a Vice President)
Sports Car Club of America
Polish Racing Drivers of America (PRDA)
American Mural Project
Simeone Foundation Automotive Museum
Mount Washington Observatory
Society of Automotive Historians
Old 06-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Re: I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

I think I'd go back to Honda if I wanted true reliability.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
ZHP = Patlabor

Mein Auto: Mini Clubmn,Odyssey,Miata

Quote:
Originally Posted by mull6 View Post

Great choice on going with the I6 versions of the engines from the M54 to the N52s. Bulletproof and don't die like the N54 engines (FI twin turbo setups) in the early E9x.

Sorry to hear about your woes OP, unfortunately, you went with the E9x years (2007-2009) with the most problematic N54 engines. Get ride of them ASAP and get into the N55 (2010+ 335 models) if you want reliability. Otherwise go with the lower end non-turbo version 06 330i, 07-2011 328i all N52 3.0 I6 engines; bulletproof reliable.

If you go to the E46 forums there are lots if posts from ZHP owners how we love our rides then include videos. There are also some 200K+ mile club owners too, not expecting to see any of those posts from any E9x owners.

Last edited by av98; 06-18-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:42 AM
Leave gun. Take Canoli.

Re: I've never had a car as unreliable as my BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
Great choice on going with the I6 versions of the engines from the M54 to the N52s. Bulletproof and don't die like the N54 engines (FI twin turbo setups) in the early E9x.

Sorry to hear about your woes OP, unfortunately, you went with the E9x years (2007-2009) with the most problematic N54 engines. Get ride of them ASAP and get into the N55 (2010+ 335 models) if you want reliability. Otherwise go with the lower end non-turbo version 06 330i, 07-2011 328i all N52 3.0 I6 engines; bulletproof reliable.

If you go to the E46 forums there are lots if posts from ZHP owners how we love our rides then include videos. There are also some 200K+ mile club owners too, not expecting to see any of those posts from any E9x owners.

Thanks. I'll be moving on to an f32 as soon as they are actually out so hopefully I should have smooth sailing.

Old 06-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Let us know when you find out what's wrong with your car. FWIW, I've had an E90, E92 and an E93, all with the N54 motor and I haven't had an issue with any of them. Either I'm lucky or you're not.

Old 06-18-2013, 10:00 AM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Let us know when you find out what's wrong with your car. FWIW, I've had an E90, E92 and an E93, all with the N54 motor and I haven't had an issue with any of them. Either I'm lucky or you're not.

Or you haven't kept the cars long enough to see issues.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Or you haven't kept the cars long enough to see issues.

Nice turn of a phrase, but apparently the unfortunate Mr. Snareman experienced two HPFP issues within the first 3 years of ownership with his 2007 335i before bidding it adieu, then had two pump failures (possibly three) on his 2009 within a similar period.

As do most rational people, I keep my cars at least three years. So yes, I kept the cars long enough to have a Snareman failure, but maybe I'm just lucky.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
WOW,"my car is running so well"