Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: bmw e36 325i
bad idle.

Hi everyone. helping a mate with his 328i that has a slight off beat idle when warm. The car runs fine on cold start up but then drops slightly when warm to a misfiring shake. When you switch on the aircon it runs beautifully again. Checked all the usual suspects, vacuum hoses, plugs etc etc. But to no avail. Anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Thanks in advance to any replies.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2013, 08:17 AM

Bad Idle.

Nothing guys???
Old 06-17-2013, 08:28 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanwray View Post
Nothing guys???
Did you try changing out the MAF? How about the coil packs? Were they ever replaced? How about the fuel? How about the fuel filter?
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 05:51 AM

Yeah, changed out the MAF with the one from my car, no change. Fuel filter was changed recently. Doesn't know when the coils were changes if ever, but surely a faulty coil would cause problems all through the rev range? Checked the newish plugs and all are burning a good colour as well.
How does the engine management control cold starts and aircon loads? Does it change the mixture? ignition timing?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:15 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
You could also try cleaning the ICV and looking at your ping (knock) sensor as well. It isn't fun, but there is a possibility that could be the cause. Are you getting any codes?
I don't think codes or pending codes start happening after a couple cycles of "burps" with the sensor. Maybe hooking it up to a computer that can read the engine data would be a good thing to see what is going on while the car is running or in position 3? (before starting).
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 AM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCJon View Post
Oh no, I know there is no code for a partially bad knock sensor, only a complete failure merits one. But if its not 100% then it could be making things worse.
It wouldn't hurt to replace it anyways, since it will need it sooner or later. At least if it doesn't resolve the issue, one part of the maintenance is out of the way.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:45 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
Lol I love how everything is maf maf maf , I do it litarly makes me chuckle now

The fifth post is about right... That's a good place to start when a tempature related inssue is happening

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 06-19-2013, 10:48 AM
BMW CCA Member

I got this from the Bimmerforums.com:

- Rent a fuel pressure testing kit from an autoparts store. Test the fuel pressure at the intlet of the fuel rail. It should be around 43 psi at idle and rise to 51 psi when you goose the throttle.

- If your fuel pressure is stable and responds correctly to throttle input then you can probably rule out the fuel system.

- Inspect your coilpacks for cracking and burn marks on the rubber boot above the sparkplug.

- Pull the FPR vacuum hose off the manifold and suck on it. If you can pull air you must replace the hose.

- Measure voltage from the chassis to the engine block. Red probe on the chassis and black probe on the engine. Measure in milli-volts. Anything more than 0.050 is suspect of bad grounding strap near the passenger-side engine mount.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
I got this from the Bimmerforums.com:

- Rent a fuel pressure testing kit from an autoparts store. Test the fuel pressure at the intlet of the fuel rail. It should be around 43 psi at idle and rise to 51 psi when you goose the throttle.

- If your fuel pressure is stable and responds correctly to throttle input then you can probably rule out the fuel system.

- Inspect your coilpacks for cracking and burn marks on the rubber boot above the sparkplug.

- Pull the FPR vacuum hose off the manifold and suck on it. If you can pull air you must replace the hose.

- Measure voltage from the chassis to the engine block. Red probe on the chassis and black probe on the engine. Measure in milli-volts. Anything more than 0.050 is suspect of bad grounding strap near the passenger-side engine mount.
Thanks for this...I am not experiencing any problems, but am going to do a couple of these that are new to me as preventive inspections.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:33 PM
BMW CCA Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning2nd View Post
Lol I love how everything is maf maf maf , I do it litarly makes me chuckle now

The fifth post is about right... That's a good place to start when a tempature related inssue is happening
Care to provide any help? Any other ideas?
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 AM
Under the lift arms

Mein Auto: E39 540, E36 328is, E83x3
ICV and engine Temp sensor

In 187K on one car (never cleaned and had MAf problems)
in 182k on another (never cleaned or had maf problems)

"Burning 2nd is a lot like vitamin tonic. Overly harsh, tastes like crap, but somewhere in all that there's good intent......just have to learn to read between the lines, actually you have to squint really hard to see the good, but its there somewhere"

15486372<-----
Old 06-22-2013, 01:57 PM

I checked and cleaned the ICV, measures correct resistance and sits at 1/2 with ignition on. Checked fuel pressure and vacuum pipe. ok. Knock sensor replaced. No change.
Will swap out coil packs and see what happens. Measured earth and its ok.
Will report result of coil pack replacement.