Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 PM
PK2348 PK2348 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 485
Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
drove 320 and got a good deal on 328

So a friend of mine was finally ready to get rid of his 2001 slk roadster that was falling apart on daily basis. He needed a commuter and was thinking of 320. We drove 320xdrive AT and came off somewhat disappointed. I might have had higher expectations for the car, but i found it underpowered. There were 3 adults in the car during the drive. I had my foot all the way down to the floor for most of the 15 min test drive and the response just was not there. Sport mode made very little difference. Maybe 328 spoiled me. Maybe it needed to be 6mt. He is not much into cars but did not like it either. So since he really likes driving my 328, but was looking to keep the payments low, i suggested 328rwd instead of xdrive.
What surprised me is that the dealer offered a rwd 328 from the lot for 1 k below the invoice. Adding 750 incentives and a promotion by dealership to pay 1st payment, he got the car at about 2100 below invoice! This was a 328 base , black metallic, premium, enhanced bluetooth, heated front seats. I think MSRP was about 42+. He paid down acq and doc fees, put 7 msds down and signed a lease for 370 a month for 10k a year. I believe its a very decent deal?
Few thoughts about test drive, steering on the new 320 xdrive seemed just a bit tighter and more precise than my 328 xdrive, july 2012 built. The 328 rwd also seemed like it steered a bit better, but that might be due to rwd. We took it home today, but I only drove it for a short while. I'll try to get more time in it over the next few weeks.

EDIT: As far as SLK trade in, we got what i expected on it, 4k. it had 125K miles on it and numerous mechanical issues, probably 1 to 2 k in repairs needed. So i don't think that was much of a factor on the lease? Any opinions?

Last edited by PK2348; 06-15-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 06-16-2013, 07:37 PM
Jerseyal Jerseyal is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: North Jersey
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 153
Mein Auto: BMW 328xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
So a friend of mine was finally ready to get rid of his 2001 slk roadster that was falling apart on daily basis. He needed a commuter and was thinking of 320. We drove 320xdrive AT and came off somewhat disappointed. I might have had higher expectations for the car, but i found it underpowered. There were 3 adults in the car during the drive. I had my foot all the way down to the floor for most of the 15 min test drive and the response just was not there. Sport mode made very little difference. Maybe 328 spoiled me. Maybe it needed to be 6mt. He is not much into cars but did not like it either. So since he really likes driving my 328, but was looking to keep the payments low, i suggested 328rwd instead of xdrive.
What surprised me is that the dealer offered a rwd 328 from the lot for 1 k below the invoice. Adding 750 incentives and a promotion by dealership to pay 1st payment, he got the car at about 2100 below invoice! This was a 328 base , black metallic, premium, enhanced bluetooth, heated front seats. I think MSRP was about 42+. He paid down acq and doc fees, put 7 msds down and signed a lease for 370 a month for 10k a year. I believe its a very decent deal?
Few thoughts about test drive, steering on the new 320 xdrive seemed just a bit tighter and more precise than my 328 xdrive, july 2012 built. The 328 rwd also seemed like it steered a bit better, but that might be due to rwd. We took it home today, but I only drove it for a short while. I'll try to get more time in it over the next few weeks.

EDIT: As far as SLK trade in, we got what i expected on it, 4k. it had 125K miles on it and numerous mechanical issues, probably 1 to 2 k in repairs needed. So i don't think that was much of a factor on the lease? Any opinions?
Sounds like a great deal on the lease. Might have gotten a few dollars less on the trade than if sold privately, but who cares. Not worth the hassle, IMO. Overall, I think y'all did well.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-17-2013, 10:21 AM
m8o m8o is offline
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW
Location: 40*-55'-44" N / 73*-24'-07" W
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 280
Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
...I had my foot all the way down to the floor for most of the 15 min test drive and the response just was not there. Sport mode made very little difference. ...

EDIT: As far as SLK trade in, we got what i expected on it, 4k. it had 125K miles on it and numerous mechanical issues, probably 1 to 2 k in repairs needed. So i don't think that was much of a factor on the lease? Any opinions?
Just a general thought to the world spurred by that 1st point above. very big lol ... Need for that type of driving does -wonders- to real-world fuel consumption. It reminds me of when I owned a mid-80's 4x4 Toyoto cargo van; peddle to the floor when leaving any/every stop (but I still loved that thing! could get that thing into a parking spot 2" longer than the van w/my eyes closed).

Yes, I know the 320i is being sold in part as a lower cost alternative to the 328i. But I'm sure it is also being sold to meet ever increasing fleet fuel consumption requirements. However proof in light of the "I had my foot all the way down to the floor for most of the 15 min test drive and the response just was not there " to me that in the real world anyone driving it with the slightest level of enthusiasm or higher will see much lower real-world mpg results than a 328i. As the 328i is frugal when driven lightly and has the performance when desired/needed; whereas the 320i simply does not!

Regarding the SLK, I had one of those 2001's. A loaded SLK320 6-sp manual in black with two tone black/tan interior; it was gorgeous and it didn't drive horribly either given its chassis flabbiness and weak/in-efficient normally aspirated 3.2L engine. I do miss that car (fantastic sounding stock stereo in that thing). However regarding that Cost you were figuring, given I just paid like $2500 for 'normal' mandatory 24,000 service on my Mini, and that's a Benz, I think cost of repairs would be much much more than you're thinking. Your friend did himself a favor unloading it.

Last edited by m8o; 06-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:17 AM
PK2348 PK2348 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brooklyn NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 485
Mein Auto: 2013 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
Just a general thought to the world spurred by that 1st point above. very big lol ... Need for that type of driving does -wonders- to real-world fuel consumption. It reminds me of when I owned a mid-80's 4x4 Toyoto cargo van; peddle to the floor when leaving any/every stop (but I still loved that thing! could get that thing into a parking spot 2" longer than the van w/my eyes closed).

Yes, I know the 320i is being sold in part as a lower cost alternative to the 328i. But I'm sure it is also being sold to meet ever increasing fleet fuel consumption requirements. However proof in light of the "I had my foot all the way down to the floor for most of the 15 min test drive and the response just was not there " to me that in the real world anyone driving it with the slightest level of enthusiasm or higher will see much lower real-world mpg results than a 328i. As the 328i is frugal when driven lightly and has the performance when desired/needed; whereas the 320i simply does not!

Regarding the SLK, I had one of those 2001's. A loaded SLK320 6-sp manual in black with two tone black interior; it was gorgeous and it didn't drive horribly either given its chassis flabbiness and weak/in-efficient normally aspirated 3.2L engine. I do miss that car (fantastic sounding stock stereo in that thing). However regarding that Cost you were figuring, given I just paid like $2500 for 'normal' mandatory 24,000 service on my Mini, and that's a Benz, I think cost of repairs would be much much more than you're thinking. Your friend did himself a favor unloading it.
His was a 230, turbo 4 i believe, thing was really falling apart, we were lucky to make it to the dealer in it. I never liked that car, too tall for it, could only drive in it when top is down
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-17-2013, 11:21 AM
sr5959 sr5959 is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,291
Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by m8o View Post
I just paid like $2500 for 'normal' mandatory 24,000 service on my Mini
Really??? This is outrageous!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
m8o m8o is offline
Let me buya F31 335xi BMW
Location: 40*-55'-44" N / 73*-24'-07" W
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 280
Mein Auto: 09 JCW, C43/55, 560SL, TJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
His was a 230, turbo 4 i believe, thing was really falling apart, we were lucky to make it to the dealer in it. I never liked that car, too tall for it, could only drive in it when top is down
MB was using Superchargers in those but yep, gotchya. You must be real tall BTW. I'm just under 6'2" probably 240lbs~ish at the time and I fit in nicely and had loads of leg room and don't recall ever having an issue w/the head too close to the hardtop. Maybe it was a case of budget manual seats vs. the premium electric sport seats I had which could go lower. Anyway, I digress off-topic w/all that.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms