Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 06-16-2013, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
Some questions/concerns about freshly painted calipers

I hand-painted my brake calipers this weekend and am unsatisfied with the result. It put on 2 coats of paint and even though the color is great, it is easy to tell that they were hand-painted and not professionally sprayed or painted - the surface texture isn't very smooth. I believe I'll need to remove a layer of paint and spray paint the calipers to get a better look. What is the best way to remove a layer of caliper paint and prep for re-painting?

Also, I'm curious what to do about the metal brackets that attach to the outside of the brake calipers? Are these usually painted an aluminum or black color or left as is? They are showing some signs of wear and brake dust staining that I am unable to clean off.

2008 BMW 328xi Sedan | Black Sapphire Metallic | Terra leather | Cold weather package | Zenon package

Last edited by Quambomb; 06-16-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-20-2014, 08:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5
Depends on what type of paint you used on how you can fix it. As with any paint project, 90% of your results will come from how well you did the prep work.
Now as far as paint and what you can do, rememeber Laquer over Laquer, but not over Enamel, Enamel over either.
Thin coats and spray is the best, know times between each coats. for imperfections you can even bondo fill and sand, Clear at the end is your friend and wetsand and polish will also improve the end result.

As a note, I do not di body work at all, I suck at it, but small parts coating where your not dealing with a large smooth panel is easy and results for the DIY'r can be very good.
Don't forget to give a good surface for paint to stick to, etching prime etc..

In the end when you come out with something that just pops and says WOW, it even a better feeling that you did it, and when you can say for how little coin you put out to do it, is icing on the cake..

Harry