Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Ego writing cheques that

Mein Auto: Subaru Forester
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Nice. I wish a performance exhaust was available for the 335d. Unfortunately all of the stupid emission crap prevents it.
Here you go...
Also available in Alpine White...
Old 06-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Nice. I wish a performance exhaust was available for the 335d. Unfortunately all of the stupid emission crap prevents it.
A muffler is a muffler, all the emissions is pre-muffler. There just isn't enough rpm and/or exhaust to make a difference in a small displacement diesel.

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel
Old 06-18-2013, 11:28 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Great use of the parking garage to reflect the sound back .... I know you will be looking for the best Houston underpasses to "rap the pipes" .... very nice!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 06-18-2013, 12:05 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Great use of the parking garage to reflect the sound back .... I know you will be looking for the best Houston underpasses to "rap the pipes" .... very nice!
Thanks! Yes, we tried it just out on the road, but the camera picked up too much wind noise, not enough exhaust noise. I even tried running a remote mike from the jack on the camera and that was by far the worst iteration.

However, it's sometimes not so easy to find relatively deserted parking garages!

It is very fun 'cause you can pretty much "rap the pipes" without even trying!

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-18-2013, 09:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Sounds great, Kat! Enjoy!
Old 06-18-2013, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335i xdrive
Re: Sweet Summertime Music -E93 328i BMW Performance Exhaust

I couldn't picture my bimmer without the performance exhaust. The only problem is that I'm constantly chasing its sound and kills my fuel economy. Worth it though.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-18-2013, 10:15 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
That's how a BMW should sound!
Fixed

"Every BMW Made should sound like that"
Old 06-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Mein Auto: '08 328i, 06' Z4 3.0
Sweet Summertime Music -E93 328i BMW Performance Exhaust

Congrats Kat! The video captures the sound great. This is how the cars should come from the factory lol.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-19-2013, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Yep, as my indie described it, it's aggressive but won't annoy the neighbors. The other thing I like about it is that once you get to a cruising speed, 60-80 mph and in 5th or 6th gear, it really settles down to where it's not really noticeable especially if the top is up.

The unanswered question: Why hasn't BMW let your stereo do the job? That'd be software: In compliance, inexpensive, very effective, and completely controllable. Would that endorse Hooliganism? Hoonage? Pleasure?

Car's silent outside; full o'goodness in....pick your sound map & go!

Gotta consider whether exhaust sound's for occupants or to impress pedestrians. Could be both with a few well positioned speakers.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY; 06-19-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
The unanswered question: Why hasn't BMW let your stereo do the job? That'd be software: In compliance, inexpensive, very effective, and completely controllable. Would that endorse Hooliganism? Hoonage? Pleasure?

Car's silent outside; full o'goodness in....pick your sound map & go!

Gotta consider whether exhaust sound's for occupants or to impress pedestrians. Could be both with a few well positioned speakers.

Why let me GOOGLE that for you sir ......

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

Why .... BMW does pipe in the sounds to keep you neighbors in their place!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 06-19-2013, 05:49 PM

Mein Auto: 09 328i 6MT Cabrio
The sound of the PE is awesome! I just wish I could get some more horses to go along with it. I didn't do my homework before purchasing or I'd definitely had gone 335i. Hopefully the aggressive sound will appease my need for speed.

The blacker the berry the sweeter the juice!
Old 06-19-2013, 07:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Congrats and welcome to the PE club.

Oh, and you have lovely hands, you should be a hand model...

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 06-19-2013, 08:02 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry328 View Post
The sound of the PE is awesome! I just wish I could get some more horses to go along with it. I didn't do my homework before purchasing or I'd definitely had gone 335i. Hopefully the aggressive sound will appease my need for speed.
Blackberry,
According to the specs there is a 5 HP improvement with the PE. My derrière dyno suggests that with the MT that might be a little conservative. Additional options are to also add the PI (Performance Intake) which adds another 10 or so HP. A third thing that can be added to the MT 328i is an AktivAutowerke (AA) Tune. That requires the car be out of service for a few days while the ECU module is reprogrammed. At this point, I'm not ready to go to that extent. I notice a discernible improvement in the throttle response especially when being first off the line at a stoplight, and in the 2nd to 3rd, or 4th to 3rd shift. And, if this is any indicator, SO who isn't as used to the clutch as I am chirped the tires last weekend when he was driving. He never did that before the PE was installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
Congrats and welcome to the PE club.

Oh, and you have lovely hands, you should be a hand model...

Thanks! I'll be sure to pass your compliment on to my manicurist.
The receptionist at my indie calls my car "the cleanest car on the planet". She is also amazed I manage to detail my wheels and keep my nails nice. So, really - thanks for noticing.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-19-2013, 08:22 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
That sounds awesome! Really enjoyed the video. This is the one mod I really, really want to do to our 3, but the wife doesn't want the car any louder. She would actually like it silent if that were possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackberry328 View Post
I think you will be surprised at how much enjoyment you get from a better sounding exhaust!

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Db750 View Post
That sounds awesome! Really enjoyed the video. This is the one mod I really, really want to do to our 3, but the wife doesn't want the car any louder. She would actually like it silent if that were possible.

I think you will be surprised at how much enjoyment you get from a better sounding exhaust!
Thanks, Db. Explain it to your wife like this. It's what a BMW was meant to sound like. You pull up next to a Porsche at a stop light, it has a discernible exhaust note. If it whimpered quietly off the mark, you would shake your head in confusion. Same with a BMW. They are supposed to have a noticeable exhaust note. Why else would the BMW Museum in Munich devote an entire display complete with headphones hanging down from the ceiling in front of different engines so visitors can listen to the engines via the exhaust?

Till the day I die, I will never forget walking through the Alte Stadt of Nuremburg at about 4:00 PM. An M3 was winding its way through the streets and its grace notes were echoing literally for blocks off the old walls. It was magical. That is when I knew it wasn't an option for me to improve upon the sound coming out of my lowly 328i. It really is pure listening enjoyment.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post
Why let me GOOGLE that for you sir ......

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...ined-tech-dept

Why .... BMW does pipe in the sounds to keep you neighbors in their place!

But when, o when is it tricklin' down to Non-M Mobiles?

I thirst for snap, crackle; pop. From time to time.

Morgan 3 wheeler.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Congrats!
Installed mine one week ago. Love it very much!
Ps I get mine form getbmwparts.com
Best deal!$990 free shipping! They are the best! Installed myself take about 2 hours .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371706261.476348.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	382794   Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1371706322.633627.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	382795  
Old 06-20-2013, 07:32 AM
Here comes trouble!

Mein Auto: 2009 328i E90 :)
Must. Resit. Watching. Video.

(Since the spouse already indicated I can go ahead and get one, perhaps this is the final straw. )

Congratulations on finally making that purchase!

Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
You will rue this day, RUE THIS DAY
Old 06-20-2013, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2015 M235i Xdrive
Another satisfied PE driver! I'm glad to hear your experience mirrors my own concerning throttle response. Now, about that PI...
Old 06-20-2013, 11:54 AM
unbekannt

Mein Auto: 750Li Hi-Sec, '13 Actros
sounds good, at idle sounds similar to the N55, sounds better when juiced.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic_Kat View Post
Till the day I die, I will never forget walking through the Alte Stadt of Nuremburg at about 4:00 PM. An M3 was winding its way through the streets and its grace notes were echoing literally for blocks off the old walls. It was magical. That is when I knew it wasn't an option for me to improve upon the sound coming out of my lowly 328i. It really is pure listening enjoyment.
Freude am Hörens?

Congrats & enjoy your new toy! I am curious to know whether you notice a difference in sound(s) when the car is thoroughly warmed up and humming--such as after a good half-hour of freeway running. Even with the stock exhaust, I notice the N55 is much more dynamic (burbles, pops, thumps) when it's wide awake versus merely warm...wondering if the N52 is the same and whether the PE enhances it.

Not to give you ideas for yet another car-centric quirk, but: On windows-down days I often use the excuse of "adjusting" my position in the garage to make juvenile exhaust noises before shutting down. Oh...did I mention I always back into my garage?

N47° 35' 30.13" E11° 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA
Old 06-20-2013, 01:39 PM
Omnia moderata ratione

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeichen311 View Post
Freude am Hörens?

Congrats & enjoy your new toy! I am curious to know whether you notice a difference in sound(s) when the car is thoroughly warmed up and humming--such as after a good half-hour of freeway running. Even with the stock exhaust, I notice the N55 is much more dynamic (burbles, pops, thumps) when it's wide awake versus merely warm...wondering if the N52 is the same and whether the PE enhances it.

Not to give you ideas for yet another car-centric quirk, but: On windows-down days I often use the excuse of "adjusting" my position in the garage to make juvenile exhaust noises before shutting down. Oh...did I mention I always back into my garage?
No question that the PE definitely enhances the musicality of the exhaust. The stock N52 never had any of the burbles, pops and thumps the PE exhibits. And yes, I think warmed up, the music is a little more noticeable especially when just letting off the accelerator and letting the car naturally decelerate.

In the "after" video footage starting at 2:41 and again at 3:31, was taken in the early AM.
The haze is where the camera lens had condensation on it from getting slammed with our typical 85°/85% humidity mornings. The footage at 2:55 was taken in the evening, after the car had been sitting in the garage all day. All the slaloming through the parking garage at 5-10 mph and 3000-5000 rpm was done after a 20 minute freeway run to get to the parking garage. That might give you an idea of the dynamic variability with a cold vs warmed up engine.

It is probably a good thing we don't have a parking garage at work as I, too back into my parking space and it usually requires some "adjusting". That would be bound to make it much much worse.

Old 06-21-2013, 11:31 AM
VELOZV

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
Sounds good

Now I will post soon my sound and it only cost me $70 just took the mufflers out and they put pipes only since the turbos need less restriction to work better, now rember that they put mufflers to keep all cars quite to pass noise pollution. Also all the after market exhaust they sell are just different sounds that is all you pay for.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0765.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	223.0 KB
ID:	382970  
Old 06-22-2013, 10:38 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
i think i will get one myself now....
Old 06-23-2013, 12:38 PM
VELOZV

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335I STICK SHIFT
The sound is in the house

Here it is, I will post one as I drive it later