Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-17-2013, 12:46 PM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible 2007
Unbelieveable, key-fob lost inside of the car!!

**UPDATE: The Key-fob is found, see post #38 **

Here is one for the books! My BMW key-fob is lost INSIDE OF MY VEHICLE!! Me and two other friends search the interior for a total of 4 hours on Father's Day trying to locate it. I placed it in the car myself on the seat or possibly I dropped it on the seat along with some other items and it could have bounced somewhere. I didn't realize the key-fob was missing until I got to a gas station and tried to lock the car.

The next day after much aggravation, I took the car to the dealer and the dealer employees also searched for quite some time (several of them). NO ONE can find the key-fob; everyone is baffled! Places searched:
- Around and under the seats and all of the seat tracks
- The vent slots under the seats
- Under the carpet mats
- Door pockets, trays, glove compartment, console and other obvious places
- Trunk and all of it's crevices
- Steering column and windshield crevices

One thing for sure, that key-fob is DEFINITELY in the cabin of the car because it won't allow the doors to be locked from the outside and because the car will start for anyone, if the Start button is pushed. Additionally, we know the key-fob is not in the trunk because the trunk will lock; according to the dealer the trunk won't lock if the key-fob is inside of it.

Anyway after several hours; at the dealer, here are the two options they presented:
1. Dismantle the interior and manually search every possible crevice.
2. Disable the missing key-fob and reprogram the backup key-fob I received when I purchased the car. I am currentlly waiting for them to finish up.

I swear this stuff only happens to me! In life I try hard to maintain a sense of humor; otherwise, I would lose it FOR REAL!

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing??

Last edited by dargar; 07-01-2013 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Key Fob Found
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Bad Lieutenant

Mein Auto: S65B40 Powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargar View Post
Here is one for the books! My BMW key-fob is lost INSIDE OF MY VEHICLE!! Me and two other friends search the interior for a total of 4 hours on Father's Day trying to locate it. I placed it in the car myself on the seat or possibly I dropped it on the seat along with some other items and it could have bounced somewhere. I didn't realize the key-fob was missing until I got to a gas station and tried to lock the car.

The next day after much aggravation, I took the car to the dealer and the dealer employees also searched for quite some time (several of them). NO ONE can find the key-fob; everyone is baffled! Places searched:
- Around and under the seats and all of the seat tracks
- The vent slots under the seats
- Under the carpet mats
- Door pockets, trays, glove compartment, console and other obvious places
- Trunk and all of it's crevices
- Steering column and windshield crevices

One thing for sure, that key-fob is DEFINITELY in the cabin of the car because it won't allow the doors to be locked from the outside and because the car will start for anyone, if the Start button is pushed. Additionally, we know the key-fob is not in the trunk because the trunk will lock; according to the dealer the trunk won't lock if the key-fob is inside of it.

Anyway after several hours ***9785; at the dealer, here are the two options they presented:
1. Dismantle the interior and manually search every possible crevice.
2. Disable the missing key-fob and reprogram the backup key-fob I received when I purchased the car. I am currentlly waiting for them to finish up.

I swear this stuff only happens to me! In life I try hard to maintain a sense of humor; otherwise, I would lose it FOR REAL!

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing??
The fob will "reveal" itself as soon as you pay for this

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Schwartz/BPMSport 91 oct tune/BPMSport feature coding/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/BMW Alcantara wheel/BMWCCA #453468/Rear Fog Switch
Old 06-17-2013, 12:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Vert
It could have been worse. You could have lost it and been stuck somewhere.

I don't know if these keyless entry/keyless start things are a benefit or not. I am still looking for a lost one for my RAV which costs over $300 to replace. You are going to have to buy some expensive new ones as well. Sometimes I think a simple key would be better.

Of course, you know what will happen next. Once you disable the current one and buy new ones at considerable expense, the old one will be found in the car.

Sorry to hear about the deal. Good luck.

2013 335i - ED September 2012
Old 06-17-2013, 01:04 PM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i

Sitting comfortably in the hammock created by the leather flap that covers the crack between the seat bottom and back.

I find my sunglasses there often. They won't hit the floor. Just reach in between the seat back and bottom and feet around.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-17-2013, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
It will be in the last place you look for it,just kidding,that would drive me crazy,you gotta keep looking.I read your post several times and it must be in the car if it does not lock.SAY A PRAYER TO ST.ANTHONY,HE NEVER FAILS

Last edited by 3two8iguy; 06-17-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
That sucks. On the plus side, when you do find it you will have an extra fob (EBAY)!

I wonder if there is a plastic piece (say that touches the seats) where if you press on the leather something can slip in. Then let the leather go and BOOM - it's hidden.

EDIT: Another option...did you open the engine hood? Maybe it fell somewhere in there? Also, maybe you put it on your roof and it slid down the windshield and is sitting in that area (e.g., debri/leaf capture filter). Worth a shot

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.

Last edited by furby076; 06-17-2013 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:54 PM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
sorry to hear
Old 06-17-2013, 05:28 PM

Down another $136 to disable that lost-inside-my-car key-fob and to reprogram my backup key-fob to be the master. At least I didn't have to drop $300 for a new set of keys. I will forever feel like I am sitting on that key-fob going forward! I know one day, it will pop up out of nowhere and all I will do is shake-my-head.

Last edited by dargar; 06-17-2013 at 05:30 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Paraglide! Walk on air!

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Coupe 6MT
Do you have sport seats in your car? Did you check in that adjustable whatchamacallit thing that extends forward under your thighs? Both of them?

2010 335i, ZSP, ZPP, M-Sport, Le Mans Blue, 3 pedals of course!
Heated Seats | USB & iPod | Black Dakota Leather
Cobb AP Stage 1 Aggressive + | Cobb FMIC | BMW Performance Exhaust

Previous BMWs:
2001 330i ZSP ZPP 5-speed - sold, but not forgotten.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlsonTheFlyer View Post
Do you have sport seats in your car? Did you check in that adjustable whatchamacallit thing that extends forward under your thighs? Both of them?
CarlsonTheFlyer - Yes, I have the sports package and I think that is exactly where the key-fob is, but the most you can do is feel around that section externally and a portion of the inside edges. Nothing felt out of the ordinary to me or others. There is no easy access to do a thorough search of those areas.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:15 PM
Omnes rationi moderatum

Mein Auto: Certified Garage Princess
3 Series cabins have Black Holes!!

3.5 years ago we dropped and lost a washer while installing the first aid kit under the passenger seat and it still hasn't resurfaced either visually or auditorily!!

50 years from now, when I'm really old and decrepit and liquidating my assets so I can move into assisted living, some young enthusiast will buy my 'vintage' E93 from me and he'll tear into it to do a full restoration. He'll pull the floor panel off, and voila, there will be my washer dropped in 2010 and he'll have a whole mystery to solve as to where that errant washer belongs.

Same goes with your keyfob.

Euro Modded|Split Armrest|Rear Foglight Mod|BMW Performance Exhaust|CDV Delete|Shark Fin Antenna Delete|Front Reflector Delete|LUX H8 Angel Eyes|328i|3 Pedals|Das Fahren im Freien| BMWCCA#445793
Old 06-17-2013, 08:27 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d

Two adults with normal cognitive functioning searching a small car for 4 hours? No way that sucker is there. My guess it fell out of the car/pocket.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video:
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 06-17-2013, 08:34 PM
new to BMW life

Mein Auto: 2008 328xi
The motor that powers the seat??? Think that the field magnets would be strong enough to pick up the fob?
If this is the case and u looked under the seat u would only be looking on the carpet. Not up under the seat....
Just a thought.
Old 06-17-2013, 11:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by dargar View Post
CarlsonTheFlyer - Yes, I have the sports package and I think that is exactly where the key-fob is, but the most you can do is feel around that section externally and a portion of the inside edges. Nothing felt out of the ordinary to me or others. There is no easy access to do a thorough search of those areas.
You can get easy access to that area. I just did this today. Move the thigh support all the way out, the flap attached to the front( closer to stearing wheel) can just be pulled up.
You need to use a little force, start at one edge and move to the other.
After you look there, it just clips back in. Only takes a few seconds unclip, and clip back
Old 06-18-2013, 04:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2007-335 HTC
lesson learned, keep your key fob in your pocket,

never understood why people, like my brother leave the keys, wallet, check book on a car seat or in one of those cubby holes in a car

you could get your new key fob and toss it in the car and see how it bounces and where it lands and check there for the fob, but now it doesnt really matter
Old 06-18-2013, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post

never understood why people, like my brother leave the keys, wallet, check book on a car seat or in one of those cubby holes in a car

you could get your new key fob and toss it in the car and see how it bounces and where it lands and check there for the fob, but now it doesnt really matter
I do this because I hate sitting on my wallet, as it creates a pressure point. Also having keys in my pocket is uncomfortable, at least to me. I also leave my phone in a cubby.

I couldn't imagine having all that stuff in my pockets while driving. Especially with the sport seats and the high thigh bolsters.
To each their own i guess
Old 06-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3

Did you try to over extend down the front seats?
It might be in the deep gap where top and button breaks.

Old 06-18-2013, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post
Two adults with normal cognitive functioning searching a small car for 4 hours? No way that sucker is there. My guess it fell out of the car/pocket.
OP states that the car starts and cannot be locked from outside. This means the fob is still inside the car.

Tom
Old 06-18-2013, 02:14 PM

Send a message via AIM to King 5
Mein Auto: 1997 BMW 528i

It must be inside of the seat, somehow

1997 BMW 528ia 2/97

2004 BMW 330ci 4/03

2008 BMW 335i 3/08
Old 06-18-2013, 02:42 PM

Mein Auto: E92 M3/E90 335i xDrive
Try driving down a bumpy road then looking again.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White D View Post
I do this because I hate sitting on my wallet, as it creates a pressure point. Also having keys in my pocket is uncomfortable, at least to me. I also leave my phone in a cubby.

I couldn't imagine having all that stuff in my pockets while driving. Especially with the sport seats and the high thigh bolsters.
To each their own i guess
Typically my key is on a chain, but I was riding and just removed the wireless portion of the key-fob to slip into my cycling Jersey. If I had put it back on the key chain instead of tossing it in the car I would not have lost it and be spending unnecessary money, so you are right hondo402000, LESSON LEARNED.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondo402000 View Post

Typically my key is on a chain, but I was riding and just removed the wireless portion of the key-fob to slip into my cycling Jersey. If I had put it back on the key chain instead of tossing it in the car I would not have lost it and be spending unnecessary money, so you are right hondo402000, LESSON LEARNED.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by White D View Post
You can get easy access to that area. I just did this today. Move the thigh support all the way out, the flap attached to the front( closer to stearing wheel) can just be pulled up.
You need to use a little force, start at one edge and move to the other.
After you look there, it just clips back in. Only takes a few seconds unclip, and clip back
The 2007 sport seats (or at least mine) do not have removable flaps. It is all sewn together; maybe if the molded portion of the seat was removed first the leather could be peeled back.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ismagic# View Post

Oh it is definitely in the car and let's see there was a total of 7 normal cognitive functioning adults between me, my 2 friends and the dealer resources that searched. I know one day that key-fob will turn up; it will probably be laying right on the seat, right where I placed it just to annoy me!!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdman15 View Post
The motor that powers the seat??? Think that the field magnets would be strong enough to pick up the fob?
If this is the case and u looked under the seat u would only be looking on the carpet. Not up under the seat....
Just a thought.
You are right. We raised the seats as high as they would go, but didn't think to slide a mirror or phone with camera to see if we can view what is on the top. I'll have to check that out, will let you know if that reveals the key-fob.