Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-18-2013, 03:39 PM

Mein Auto: 335I Convertible 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by GVFlyer View Post
Try driving down a bumpy road then looking again.
One of the dealer resources said "find a opened lot, floor the car in reverse and then slam on the breaks. That will clear out anything in the vents under the seat." If not, it might just be fun to do!!
Old 06-18-2013, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemo Panda View Post
Did you try to over extend down the front seats?
It might be in the deep gap where top and button breaks.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Yeah, someone else mention a hammock where the top and bottom of the seats meet. the 2007 sport seats that I have do not have this hammock. The top and bottom is separate; I can slide my fingers all the way through.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocabimmer View Post
Sitting comfortably in the hammock created by the leather flap that covers the crack between the seat bottom and back.

I find my sunglasses there often. They won't hit the floor. Just reach in between the seat back and bottom and feet around.

Tthe 2007 sport seats that I have do not have this hammock. The top and bottom is separate; I can slide my fingers all the way through.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
I came home from a club late one night and my fob slipped out of my fingers bounced on the floor and seemingly disappeared. My GF and i looked for 20 minutes and couldn't find it. We went inside and went to sleep. Next morning hunted for another 25 minutes. I looked in those same vent holes on the floor several times. Finally, basically standing on my head looked up from rear foot well into cavity up under driver's seat. It had lodged up in the structure of the driver's seat. i had specifically felt up in that same spot the night before. I finally saw it with my eyes. It was lodged between a wirng harnass and the fabric enclosing the steel structure of the seat's lower structure. i saw it looking forward from rear foot well.

Good luck with locating it.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:58 AM
Found the Search Button

Mein Auto: '06 E90 325i '07 E92 328i
Unbelieveable, key-fob lost inside of the car!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dargar View Post
Tthe 2007 sport seats that I have do not have this hammock. The top and bottom is separate; I can slide my fingers all the way through.
Maybe the convertible is different but I have a 2007 w/ sport seats... The flap of leather extends down from the seat back and connects under the seat bottom.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
I came home from a club late one night and my fob slipped out of my fingers bounced on the floor and seemingly disappeared. My GF and i looked for 20 minutes and couldn't find it. We went inside and went to sleep. Next morning hunted for another 25 minutes. I looked in those same vent holes on the floor several times. Finally, basically standing on my head looked up from rear foot well into cavity up under driver's seat. It had lodged up in the structure of the driver's seat. i had specifically felt up in that same spot the night before. I finally saw it with my eyes. It was lodged between a wirng harnass and the fabric enclosing the steel structure of the seat's lower structure. i saw it looking forward from rear foot well.

Good luck with locating it.
As I am reading this entire thread I was thinking I would have at least taken both front seats out of the car and looked under them before paying the dealer for a new key. Not sure about our seats but in general car seats are not very difficult to remove and put back. I have done it on several cars. Seems very likely they are somehow attached to the drivers seat.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:33 PM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Pick the car up, turn it upside down, and shake it real hard. Works for me when my little brother takes my stuff and jams it in his pockets.

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
One of the dealer resources said "find a opened lot, floor the car in reverse and then slam on the breaks. That will clear out anything in the vents under the seat." If not, it might just be fun to do!!
I did this in my 335i soon after I bought it.

I found a pair of sunglasses, a piece of gum, 27 cents, and the fuel filter for my weed eater that I had lost.

No joke. It works.

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossman35 View Post
As I am reading this entire thread I was thinking I would have at least taken both front seats out of the car and looked under them before paying the dealer for a new key. Not sure about our seats but in general car seats are not very difficult to remove and put back. I have done it on several cars. Seems very likely they are somehow attached to the drivers seat.
Forgot to say, yes i have the sport seats too. I have pulled the front seats out of a few cars as well. Engine computer was under the drivers seat in older honda that got leaked into from Hurricane Ike. Cleaned the ECU with alcohol and it worked fine. Pulled seats out of GF's mustang as i needed to remove the carpeting. We had the carpet and seats steam cleaned while it was all out. Cost $60

When i lost my fob i specifically saw it bounce and go under the seat. The OP just says his is missing. Wish it was like a lost cell phone where you can just call it.
Old 06-24-2013, 03:04 PM

@OP, what did you end up doing?
Old 06-24-2013, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_cuda View Post
@OP, what did you end up doing?
I chose option 2: Disable the missing key-fob and reprogram the backup key-fob I received when I purchased the car. Cost me $136. If I ever find the other key-fob, I will have it reprogrammed.

Now, every time I sit in the car I can't help to wonder where that dam key-fob is hiding!
Old 06-24-2013, 08:45 PM
Evil cider brewer

Mein Auto: E92 335i M Sport
There should be an Android app for locating BMW key fobs!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM

Key-fob found!!!

How does the old saying go, you can't see the forest for the trees. Like most things you search for and can't find; they turn out to be right in front of your face!!

So, it turns out I did not place the key-fob on the seat or toss it in the car with my other items as I initially thought. I also didn't place it in the trunk. So where was it you may ask??? I with my brilliant mind placed it in the groove that runs along the side of the trunk. This also turns out to be the only place where it would not prevent the trunk from closing, but was close enough to allow the car to be started wirelessly. I have no idea what possessed me to place it there. And, out of all the people who searched for this key-fob, NO ONE saw it in the grove. It is not a place in your line of sight when looking in the trunk, unless you are standing on the side of the car (see attached photo).

I found it, just like I lost it; when packing up after a 33 mile bike ride while standing to the left side of the trunk. I looked down and there it was; I could swear it winked at me !

This now disabled key-fob will be stored for safe keeping until the time comes that I need to pay to get it reprogrammed!

Oh, and if you are wondering what those holes are in my bumper, see this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...189&highlight=
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	384290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	384291   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	149.9 KB
ID:	384292  

Last edited by dargar; 06-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Unbelieveable, key-fob lost inside of the car!!

Maybe that's why BMW increased the key size for the F series cars.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:55 PM
1 Converted Addict

Mein Auto: 135i M-Sport 6mt Cabrio
Thats funny, I misplaced my key when I was cleaning my car today. After 20 minutes or so I was thinking about this thread and going , not me too! I found it in my truck under the carpet where the spare tire would go if we had a spare. Cant even remember putting it in the compartment. Anyway glad you found it!

PSS|PPK|PE|LUX H8 V4's|CDV Delete|
Old 06-30-2013, 07:02 PM
Evil cider brewer

I've been following this thread just to see if you ever found it, and where! Nice!
Old 06-30-2013, 07:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 328i sedan
I was hoping for a happy ending to this thread,"Just say no to Drugs"
Old 06-30-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 535i Sports Wagon
Glad that's solved! This was better than an Agatha Christie mystery.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Old 06-30-2013, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Here is one for the books! My BMW key-fob is lost INSIDE OF MY VEHICLE!! Me and two other friends search the interior for a total of 4 hours on Father's Day trying to locate it. I placed it in the car myself on the seat or possibly I dropped it on the seat along with some other items and it could have bounced somewhere. I didn't realize the key-fob was missing until I got to a gas station and tried to lock the car.

The next day after much aggravation, I took the car to the dealer and the dealer employees also searched for quite some time (several of them). NO ONE can find the key-fob; everyone is baffled! Places searched:
- Around and under the seats and all of the seat tracks
- The vent slots under the seats
- Under the carpet mats
- Door pockets, trays, glove compartment, console and other obvious places
- Trunk and all of it's crevices
- Steering column and windshield crevices

One thing for sure, that key-fob is DEFINITELY in the cabin of the car because it won't allow the doors to be locked from the outside and because the car will start for anyone, if the Start button is pushed. Additionally, we know the key-fob is not in the trunk because the trunk will lock; according to the dealer the trunk won't lock if the key-fob is inside of it.

Anyway after several hours; at the dealer, here are the two options they presented:
1. Dismantle the interior and manually search every possible crevice.
2. Disable the missing key-fob and reprogram the backup key-fob I received when I purchased the car. I am currentlly waiting for them to finish up.

I swear this stuff only happens to me! In life I try hard to maintain a sense of humor; otherwise, I would lose it FOR REAL!

Have any of you ever heard of such a thing??
Check the 2 vents under both seats it's small but stuff gets in there i.e. coins and they rattle and roll and most have no clue about this..Check it with a flashlight
Old 06-30-2013, 08:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335Is
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorns View Post
I've been following this thread just to see if you ever found it, and where! Nice!
Screw this thread just give me those 225's!!! Looks great dude
Old 06-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Evil cider brewer

Thanks! Those babies clinched it for me when I found this car!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chop362 View Post
Check the 2 vents under both seats it's small but stuff gets in there i.e. coins and they rattle and roll and most have no clue about this..Check it with a flashlight
KEy-fob is found, see post #38. I think I'll update the original posting so any future viewers will know the fob was found.
Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM
New Guy

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Coupe
That made me grin. Good job on the hunt.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 AM

Mein Auto: X 5 Diesel
Unhappy Lost our Fob in the car too

We have lost our fob as well and so came across Dargar's email. We think it's in the car because when it is locked and we take the remaining fob far away, we can open the right passenger door! We can't start the car though. It's an X5 and we think it's somewhere in the back but hours of searching (like Dargar) and nothing.

Does the fact we can lock the car (except you can open the rear passenger door) mean that the fob is NOT in the car?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM
Evil cider brewer

It's too bad these fobs don't have a locator on them that makes them beep when they're lost!