Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive Coupe
Question Fuel Economy

First off I know I didn't buy a Prius. But...I am only getting, if I am lucky, 19 city and 22 HWY. I would have thought the HWY number would have been a bit higher, closer to 30? I just went on a short trip (250 miles round trip) and hit 23mpg. Just wondered if this is close to other's experience?
Ads by Google
Old 06-17-2013, 01:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 328i Convertible
Your 19 city is higher than expected. Your 22 hwy is lower. I get around 15-17 city and 26-28 hwy.
2001 X5, 2009 528i (retired)
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdag View Post
First off I know I didn't buy a Prius. But...I am only getting, if I am lucky, 19 city and 22 HWY. I would have thought the HWY number would have been a bit higher, closer to 30? I just went on a short trip (250 miles round trip) and hit 23mpg. Just wondered if this is close to other's experience?
Few of us ever reach the "monroney sticker" MPG figures. Tires and driving habits play a big roll as has been discussed in here quie often.

I've tried through research to "prove" that our run flat tires are "inefficient" from a fuel economy (rolling resistance) stand point vs. conventional tires, but in fact they're not (our OE tires). Nevertheless, we don't actually know the "fuel efficiency rating" of our original tires vs. "all other" tire options for our car.

This will change in 2013. It's already changing in the E.U., as all tires sold there starting 11/2012 will have to be labelled with their "fuel efficiency rating."

Every tire maker will have to test their tires for fuel efficiency according to a standardized test procedure...and label them accordingly.

This will happen in the U.S. in 2013 (through ongoing NHTSA regulatory action). As a tire's contribution to a vehicle's fuel efficiency is not insignificant, the "mystery" of the fuel efficiency of the tire you choose to buy will be substantially over. Just read the label and compare to others.

Of course, all of this "Big Brother" regulatory action will be meaningless for "heavy foot" drivers.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-17-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Yup. I'm getting 16 MPG in mixed driving on a 2010 328i, RWD. Rather disappointing.
Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 328i xdrive Coupe
No run flats here. New Contential PureContact go flats. I tend not to have a heavy foot but do enjoy being first off the line at stop lights. I didn't thnk my city mileage was that bad, good actually. The highway mileage just seemed really low for some reason.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:00 PM

Be prepared from an onslaught of angry replies telling you that you shouldn't care about fuel economy since you obviously have the means to buy a BMW. I personally think that's a ridiculous stance, but some folks are very protective of their beloved care maker. I really like my BMW too, but am not beyond pointing our flaws and problems. In the end, it's a car; there's nothing sacrosanct about it.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsome View Post
Be prepared from an onslaught of angry replies telling you that you shouldn't care about fuel economy since you obviously have the means to buy a BMW. I personally think that's a ridiculous stance, but some folks are very protective of their beloved care maker. I really like my BMW too, but am not beyond pointing our flaws and problems. In the end, it's a car; there's nothing sacrosanct about it.
BMW has paid tens of millions of dollars in penalties over many years to the "Feds" due to failures to meet "corporate" fuel economy targets (as has Mercedes and many others). This was the "loop hole" in the EPA fuel economy regulation; either meet it or pay the Piper. BMW chose to pay the penalties and give us magnificant engines...but not so great fuel economy.

You've noticed, of course, that we don't have a "choice" yet of a hybrid or "E" car, while Toyota is running circles around BMW?

We (BMW owner's) have been "paying the Piper" for quite some time...but things are changing under Obama.

That's one reason that the new 3-series has a 4-cyl. turbo...and the IL6 is GONE. Think this is "radical"? Wait a few more years when the "mandated" EPA MPG approaches 50+.

Maybe they'll have to re-label the M3 as an M1? (displacement)
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA
Old 06-19-2013, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i x Coupe M sport
Sounds like the OP has an issue with his/her car. Seems very low on the highway unless you never shift above 3rd gear. He should not be getting worse than me with a 328 and no Xdrive I assume.

One of the reasons I leased my car was the fuel economy and I haven't been let down. My previous G35 was 16mpg City and MAYBE 23mpg Highway. My 335i xdrive gets 18-19 City and 27-30 mpg highway/country roads.

Best fuel economy I have seen in this car was 32 mpg average over 40 miles on a country road driving 60mph (speed limit 50mph). After those 40 miles I get on the highway at roughly 70-80 mph for 4 hours. I end up between 29 and 30 mpg 4 hours later every time I make the trip.

Recently the dealer lowered my tire pressure by 3 lbs.. no idea why since the sticker is clearly listed on the door. I noticed my city mpg dropped to 17. Check tire pressure??

So my point, fuel economy all relative. I think these cars do very well given their engines and power.

Last edited by mossman35; 06-19-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328i Sport Line MT
There are many variables like tire pressure, transmission type, number of passengers and luggage, RWD vs AWD and how you are measuring the consumption.

My experiences based on resetting the trip computer (not necessarily 100% accurate) when I fill up is I tend to average 21 mpg in the city and 31 on the highway. This is with a MT 328i RWD model. Your car will be worse due to the xDrive however your figures seem low. As said above, check your tire pressures. Also check the air filter and if you are using the trip computer as your tool, reset it when you next fill up your tank.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E90 328xi MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post
BMW has paid tens of millions of dollars in penalties over many years to the "Feds" due to failures to meet "corporate" fuel economy targets (as has Mercedes and many others). This was the "loop hole" in the EPA fuel economy regulation; either meet it or pay the Piper. BMW chose to pay the penalties and give us magnificant engines...but not so great fuel economy.

You've noticed, of course, that we don't have a "choice" yet of a hybrid or "E" car, while Toyota is running circles around BMW?

We (BMW owner's) have been "paying the Piper" for quite some time...but things are changing under Obama.

That's one reason that the new 3-series has a 4-cyl. turbo...and the IL6 is GONE. Think this is "radical"? Wait a few more years when the "mandated" EPA MPG approaches 50+.

Im hopeful this will make my 2009 I6 worth $75,000+ in 5 years

2009 E90 328xi MT - Tasman Green - Oyster Dakota Leather - Premium Package - Navigation w/ IDrive - Cold Weather Package - Park Distance Control
Old 06-19-2013, 01:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328 M Sport
28.7 MPG N20 4 Banger

Yikes! That seems kinda low. I did own a 2010 Toyota Pruis, 2007 Toyota Yaris and a 2012 Toyota Camry; they ALL met sticker estimates and I don't drive like an old man.

My current 2013 328I (N20 4 banger) XDrive M Sport is showing 28.7 average MPG at an average of speed of 44.7. I am easily getting 31+ MPG on the HWY cruising at 78+ MPH
__________________________________________________ _______________________
2013 Estoril Blue II 328i XDrive M Sport
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04384.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	382735   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04391.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	382736   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04392.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	382737  
Old 06-19-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointandgo View Post

The landscape is changing, and BMW will come dragging along. That much is clear.

If BMW has chosen to sell relatively fuel-inefficient engines, and people want to buy them, so be it. No problems here.

My only issue, and that of the OP, is when their cars produce real world mileage that is far from the posted EPA mileage. Everyone knows that EPA figures are computed under optimal conditions, and your mileage may vary, blah, blah. But when a car is listed at 28 MPG highway, but only gets 22 MPG, that is over 20% less. That is significant and could costs thousands more in fuel costs over the life of the vehicle. At some point, it's also indicative of problems with your specific vehicle.

Last edited by Drewsome; 06-19-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:55 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Fuelly.com

Fuelly.com shows the peak/center of the bell curve for 328xi (OP's car) at around 24 mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/328xi

There are people there getting 30+ that are probably highway miles... Too bad we don't know too much about people putting numbers out there.
Old 06-19-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Fuelly.com shows the peak/center of the bell curve for 328xi (OP's car) at around 24 mpg.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/bmw/328xi

There are people there getting 30+ that are probably highway miles... Too bad we don't know too much about people putting numbers out there.
Very interesting. And I imagine that people who use FUELLY are mileage-minded and do what they can to optimize efficiency (no lead feet).