Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

View Poll Results: Keep or Sell
Keep 4 36.36%
Sell 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 128i M, M3, 325is M-Tech
Can I have your winter wheels for a certain price, if they are steelie wheelies?
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 2010 Black Sapphire Metallic 128i M - Sport // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 328is M package
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnaz View Post
Can I have your winter wheels for a certain price, if they are steelie wheelies?
Sorry, they're the original wheels, this style:

Click image for larger version

Name:	FactoryBMWwheels.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	382728
Old 06-19-2013, 03:07 PM
VP Moon-Based Operations

Mein Auto: 1998 323is
Oh, wow. That car looks great

For some reason I thought we were talking about a sedan. Haha.

Also, throwing the tires and what-nots definitely sweetens the deal and chances of finding a good price. I know here, in Colorado, having an extra set of winters really helps when selling a car. However, I do think it's right to expect to get a little less than you'd hope for.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPapaJr View Post
Oh, wow. That car looks great

For some reason I thought we were talking about a sedan. Haha.

Also, throwing the tires and what-nots definitely sweetens the deal and chances of finding a good price. I know here, in Colorado, having an extra set of winters really helps when selling a car. However, I do think it's right to expect to get a little less than you'd hope for.
Thanks! And I agree, plus I am too attached to the car, it's so hard to look at this objectively.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
4Runners always hold their value more than BMWs. The other thing is that you should never expect to recoup the money you spent on upgrades/mods at a 1:1 ratio. It would be nice if that's how it worked, but it sadly isn't. Also, I paid $6k for my '98 328is in 2010, which was in flawless condition and had 94k miles, and it's a manual transmission car. And what I paid was definitely was definitely not the deal of the century... It would've cost me $5-5.5k had I not purchased it from a dealer. Expecting to get the same amount for an automatic car (which always sell for much less than manual cars) with 30k more miles in a private party sale is pretty optimistic (or totally crackers). I mean, I suppose you might stumble into someone who doesn't know what these cars go for on the open market, but it seems unlikely. If selling your car for $4-4.5k is not something you're prepared to accept, you might as well just can the idea of selling it and keep it. After all, you like it and have a personal attachment to it. We're dealing with cars that have fully depreciated now, and I know you must have paid a considerable price in 2004 before the E36 market totally tanked, but that is one tough pill which must be swallowed.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 06-19-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
All that being said, as clean as you have described the car, not selling for quick turn-over, someone less knowledgeable than our forum peers will see it and want it...you can probably get 5K for it (ask 5.5 and deal to 5). I have seen many a vehicle bought for more than they booked for, or those in the know thought possible. (i.e. man down the street sold a 1995 BMW 740i - he was second owner - had the records, etc and wheel upgrades, retrofit Nav system from a later model for $6000) I bought mine for $1300, put a lot of work into it and about $1200...it is now strong mechanically and immaculate inside and out..with upgrades...and have been offered $5K for it.
Old 06-19-2013, 04:32 PM

No argument on my side guys, I agree, you're both spot on. And in reality I've actually been very pleased with the level/rate of depreciation, I've checked it a few times over the years, it's basically bottoming out now (dumbest time to sell I know). And I'm not factoring in what I have invested necessarily, just more along the lines of what do I think it would be worth to me to let it go and not just give it away, and in it's current condition and options what is it worth.

Actually hadn't even thought of that till now but if I remember correctly I picked it up for $17,900 after some major negotiating, I want to say book was over $20k at the time. Plus, if I expected 1:1 for the wheels/tires and start/alarm I'd be asking $9k, haha now that's "totally crackers"!!!

I think I will sleep on it for awhile (few more years lol) and maybe let the market decide, if someone picks it up for $5k I'll let it go, if not I'll keep it tucked away and someday be able to show people what an E36 was

Thanks again for the time and input, I do appreciate the perspectives.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:34 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
You might find someone to buy it for $6k, but I don't think it's worth that. I disagree with the old addage, "it's worth what someone will pay for it."

I've seen stranger things! Colleague of mine got some schmuck to buy his beat up E46 for more than he bought it for, which was already more than what it was worth. All after driving it like he stole it for 8 months!

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011