Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 06-17-2013, 02:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 328ic
Connection between humming sound & one new tire?

I recently had a flat tire on my 1997 BMW 328ic E36 and had to put a new rear driver's side tire on that doesn't match brand wise, but is the correct size. I'm hearing a humming type whirring noise when I accelerate and then it winds down as I decelerate. Is this sound coming from the new tire or could it possibly be something else causing this noise?

I would appreciate any advice or information? Thanks, D

Last edited by DKHarrison; 06-17-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Advertisement
Old 06-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1995 325i Convertible
My bet is the tire. New tires will need to wear the treads to your vehicle, so it should lessen as you get a out buying couple hundred miles on it. Also, some tires (by virtue of tread pattern and shoulders) are prone to being louder. This is why you will hear so many on this forum swear on one brand and swear at another. (you will also probably get admonished about buying only one side.) The depth of tread theoretically can cause some rear-end noise due to slightly different diameters. Switch the mismatched pair to the front and see if the hum moves or goes away. If you can afford it get the 2nd one to match.
Believe me, if is a matter of economics, I understand.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:34 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Another thing I would recommend is putting the new tire on the FRONT, rather than keeping it on the rear. If the old tires were worn down significantly, putting one new tire out back will be bad for the differential, since it will be spinning at a different rate of speed than the wheel on the other side due to the tire diameter discrepancy.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 06-19-2013, 12:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328ic
Jitsjaf2009: Economics is definitely a concern. The spare I had was a 17” and the others are 18” (bought the car about a year and a half ago and my boyfriend said I should have checked it – probably so, but wouldn’t many assume it would be the same size???) I will try switching the back two tires (the semi-new one and the other one) to the front and the front ones to the back and let you know how it goes . . . and thank you for your kindness and understanding (unlike my boyfriend!!!)

And thank you ZeGerman for your response as well! It seems to follow the same line of thinking . . .
Old 06-19-2013, 02:01 AM

Mein Auto: e92
It could also be a rubber compound issue where one tire is stiffer than the other creating audible noise on the front or rear axle where the new tire will sit, it may also cause tram lining.