Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 06-18-2013, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 M5 E60
E60 M5 brake pad sensor question

Hi, I recently bought a used M5 about 2 months ago and I am starting to notice the front brakes squeaking like the pads are getting low but the iDrive brake pad service says I still have a lot of miles before they need replacing and the brake pad sensor light hasn't turned on.

My question is, is the brake pad sensor tied to the iDrive brake pad replacement or is that number in iDrive just a milage counter that gets reset by the dealership?

Would the car warn me if the brake pad sensors are not hooked up or are not working properly because the previous owner did not hook them up? I am not very good with cars and do not know how to check the brake pad sensors manually.

From a quick eye inspection the front pads seem to be low to me and the rotors have a decent amount of wear that I can feel.
Ads by Google
Old 07-01-2013, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5

I'd say, do the pads and rotors right away...when the brake light warning shows, you're into the sensors, and they need to be replaced...like $80 a piece...and then they couldn't reset the code to get rid if the warning. I took it over to enthusiastauto (.com), and they said sensors are notorious for not being installed correct or not working out of the box...turned out I did get a bad new sensor, got it changed out and went back to enthusiastauto to clear the code...yup, I'd change 'em now! . I did front ceramic pads and sensors first, think it ran about $240 without rotors...did the back pads a month ago, about the same...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 07-01-2013, 06:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5

Just read u had a lot of rotor left, maybe get them turned with the new pads, if the show any big scoring...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app