Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-26-2004, 08:23 PM
mrtm2008 mrtm2008 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Naples, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Question Got quote for ESS S/C install & other stuff...

Dyno-Comp. here in AZ gave me this quote today. They recommend the ESS supercharger for the 330s (345 Hp, 303.75 Ft-lbs torque). They did an ASA install & will never do one again. They said that they had to make a piggy back ecu to make it work properly. The ESS Supercharger comes with everything right out of the box they said.

They have quoted me $13,400 after tax & install of following:

E46 ESS Supercharger - $6995 +275 shipping + Approx. $1246 install @$89/hr for 14 hrs

Front & Rear BREMBO brakes 1595 F + 1195 R - $2790 installed

UUC 330i Twin Silencer Exhaust - $790.00 installed

B&M Short Shifter - $202.35 + $222.50 install at rate above.

Also included in that is Dyno stock set-up & then Dyno new set-up. Thier Dyno price is usually $140/hr

Forgot $878.66 in sales tax (7.95%)

What do you guys think?
__________________
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs

Last edited by mrtm2008; 08-26-2004 at 08:32 PM.
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 08-26-2004, 08:44 PM
KP's Avatar
KP KP is offline
Buyakasha!
Location: Durham, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,037
Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP
Mein Auto: MY01.5 325Ci/93 Miata
The ESS is a decent unit, but out of the centri units, the consensus is that the ASA/Kelleners unit is the most favored of them all. I don't know what kind of affiliations that shop has with ESS or ASA, but sounds like they sell the ESS from the shop? The ESS comes with everything except one important part: there is no intercooler. A friend of mine recently sold his 330xi (with an ESS unit), because he was having numerous problems with the engine (on account of the s/c). Don't let this post sway you away from ESS though, I think all of them are fairly the same, but I think the ASA unit is the better out of the two (there are other units out there too). The ASA unit is a complex install from what I've heard, and quite a few number of people have had software problems with it (some people even turned to AA for software). But $7k is a lot of money, and 14 hours seems like a long time for the install (the AA guys charge 10hours). As far as the other parts are concerned, I don't see how you came up with the numbers for the brakes. What sizes are they? And is the UUC TSE(3)? Don't let the shop rush you into a purchase though, I would seriously think about it before you decide to spend that kind of money that you won't see in resale values. If you're making it your garage queen/weekend/track car, and take care of it, I'm sure it will be lots of fun with the new goodies.
Edit: If I got a s/c, I'd opt for a twin-screw unit.
__________________

Sponsored by: WheelExperts/ModBargains
My Photo Album

Last edited by KP; 08-26-2004 at 09:03 PM.
  #3  
Old 08-26-2004, 09:54 PM
mrtm2008 mrtm2008 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Naples, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
The ESS is a decent unit, but out of the centri units, the consensus is that the ASA/Kelleners unit is the most favored of them all. I don't know what kind of affiliations that shop has with ESS or ASA, but sounds like they sell the ESS from the shop? The ESS comes with everything except one important part: there is no intercooler. A friend of mine recently sold his 330xi (with an ESS unit), because he was having numerous problems with the engine (on account of the s/c). Don't let this post sway you away from ESS though, I think all of them are fairly the same, but I think the ASA unit is the better out of the two (there are other units out there too). The ASA unit is a complex install from what I've heard, and quite a few number of people have had software problems with it (some people even turned to AA for software). But $7k is a lot of money, and 14 hours seems like a long time for the install (the AA guys charge 10hours). As far as the other parts are concerned, I don't see how you came up with the numbers for the brakes. What sizes are they? And is the UUC TSE(3)? Don't let the shop rush you into a purchase though, I would seriously think about it before you decide to spend that kind of money that you won't see in resale values. If you're making it your garage queen/weekend/track car, and take care of it, I'm sure it will be lots of fun with the new goodies.
Edit: If I got a s/c, I'd opt for a twin-screw unit.
Actually the new kit does have a intercooler. I'm not in a rush to go with it yet, that's why I'm posting & want feedback. I don't think that they have a direct relationship with ESS other than they installed one on a previous 5 series (I believe) & found it to be much easier of an install than the ASA on a 330ci they did an install on.

As for the Brembo, they are for 18" & bigger wheels & came to $1595 for the Front & $1195 for the Rear. The 14 hours was the worst case scenerio for the estimate. The UUC is the TSE3
__________________
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
  #4  
Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 PM
4Ringer 4Ringer is offline
Banned
Location: Texass
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: Everything
13 grand is a lot of money to drop on basically a S/C. What size are the brakes themselves? Are they vented, crossdrilled, both? Will you get getting better calipers and steel braided lines, as well as speed bleeders?

As far as shifters go, it's only 4 bolts to pull it off, it shouldnt be more than the piece itself to install, how many hours of labor are they charging you for, 3.5?

I'd shop around, but post pics whatever you decide!

-4Ringer
  #5  
Old 08-26-2004, 10:18 PM
KP's Avatar
KP KP is offline
Buyakasha!
Location: Durham, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 1,037
Send a message via AIM to KP Send a message via MSN to KP
Mein Auto: MY01.5 325Ci/93 Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2004
Actually the new kit does have a intercooler. I'm not in a rush to go with it yet, that's why I'm posting & want feedback. I don't think that they have a direct relationship with ESS other than they installed one on a previous 5 series (I believe) & found it to be much easier of an install than the ASA on a 330ci they did an install on.

As for the Brembo, they are for 18" & bigger wheels & came to $1595 for the Front & $1195 for the Rear. The 14 hours was the worst case scenerio for the estimate. The UUC is the TSE3
Same question as 4ringer. I'm guessing it's the 320mm/294mm F/R. If that's the case, that would mean that your downsizing your rotor size, while upgrading the calipers. I don't know if you would see much better braking performance with this setup. Good to hear that they added a intercooler now to the ESS unit. The AA unit is a grand cheaper though.
__________________

Sponsored by: WheelExperts/ModBargains
My Photo Album
  #6  
Old 08-26-2004, 10:19 PM
mrtm2008 mrtm2008 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Naples, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Ringer
13 grand is a lot of money to drop on basically a S/C. What size are the brakes themselves? Are they vented, crossdrilled, both? Will you get getting better calipers and steel braided lines, as well as speed bleeders?

As far as shifters go, it's only 4 bolts to pull it off, it shouldnt be more than the piece itself to install, how many hours of labor are they charging you for, 3.5?

I'd shop around, but post pics whatever you decide!

-4Ringer
Not exactly sure what size the brakes are...I just know that they are the replacement for stock brakes I have now. As for the price, it seems like a really good price for Brembos though. They are cross-drilled & slotted, but one piece, not 2.

The shifter was estimated at 2.5 hrs. He told me that they did one on a 330ci & found it to be some trouble & that's why that long.

Also...the $13k is for ESS S/C, UUC exhaust, Brembo Brakes F & R & SSK. The price & install cost is roughly the same as it would be for the ASA kit. Maybe a difference of $1-2K because of the S/C price.
__________________
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
  #7  
Old 08-26-2004, 11:11 PM
ClubSpec330i ClubSpec330i is offline
The 1st 'Fest attendee..
Location: Duarte, Califonia
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 251
Mein Auto: BMWs
In regard to brake upgrade, is it a Grand Turismo? I thought stock front brake for 330 is 325mm, correct me if I am wrong. If you do not track your car, stock brake with better brake pad and brake fluid will suffice.

Good luck and keep us update on your path to SCing.
  #8  
Old 08-26-2004, 11:16 PM
mrtm2008 mrtm2008 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Naples, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClubSpec330i
In regard to brake upgrade, is it a Grand Turismo? I thought stock front brake for 330 is 325mm, correct me if I am wrong. If you do not track your car, stock brake with better brake pad and brake fluid will suffice.

Good luck and keep us update on your path to SCing.
Actually that was a question I had (about if stock brakes would be ok). I don't plan to track the car. I'm glad to hear that. So Ceramic pads would suffice? What type (brand) of brake fluid?
__________________
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
  #9  
Old 08-27-2004, 05:42 AM
MicahO's Avatar
MicahO MicahO is offline
In my own cars again
Location: Warwick, NY
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,397
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtm2004
Actually that was a question I had (about if stock brakes would be ok). I don't plan to track the car. I'm glad to hear that. So Ceramic pads would suffice? What type (brand) of brake fluid?
If you're not going to track the be-jay-zeus out of the car, stick with the stock brakes. They pull the thing to a stop faster than just about anything on the road as they come from the factory, at least on the cars with the Pilots mounted. Find a Motor Trend or Road and Track and look at the performance spec listings in the back of the rag - there will only be 8-10 cars that stop in a shorter distance than the ZHP. The brembo's have a great look, but with the great brakes you've allready got, it's a matter of function following form. I'll take function first.

(grenade - if it's all about the traction from the Pilots on the Performance Package making for a better braking experience, how does the X3 stop in the same distance on it's all-seasons?!?!? What I'd like to know is whether those dual piston front calipers on the X3 3.0 will fit on our cars. It's the same rotor size......)

Love to hear about progress on the other fronts - sounds like a real rip! The one thing I'd do is work with one shop that's got experience in these matters and that will take responsibility for the proper tuning of the motor after the install is done. An extra chip or ECU remapping here or there is going to add up very quickly, and the car may be undriveable in the meantime......
__________________

--Micah O'C
CCA 193374
'88 M5, Bilstein Sports/ST Springs, staggered BBS RS, Euro conversion
'04 330i ZHP, Jet Black 6spd, hot seats, LightWerkz TFX-Xenon, Bilstein PSS10
UUC Strut/SwayBarbarians, PowerFlex CAB/TAB, Performance Gearing 3.38 LSD

  #10  
Old 08-27-2004, 06:03 AM
ClubSpec330i ClubSpec330i is offline
The 1st 'Fest attendee..
Location: Duarte, Califonia
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 251
Mein Auto: BMWs
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahO
Find a Motor Trend or Road and Track and look at the performance spec listings in the back of the rag - there will only be 8-10 cars that stop in a shorter distance than the ZHP. The brembo's have a great look, but with the great brakes you've allready got, it's a matter of function following form. I'll take function first.
That is right. Most of those cars cost abit more than ZHP. I say stick with stock setup for now. If you find it not to your liking after SCed, then you can change to a gigantic Brembo brake later on down the line.

good luck
.
  #11  
Old 08-27-2004, 01:40 PM
mrtm2008 mrtm2008 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Naples, FL
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 205
Mein Auto: '08 E90 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicahO
The one thing I'd do is work with one shop that's got experience in these matters and that will take responsibility for the proper tuning of the motor after the install is done. An extra chip or ECU remapping here or there is going to add up very quickly, and the car may be undriveable in the meantime......

I agree about form over function. I love how the brake calipers on the ZHP come painted silver stock. I just wanted a price on Brembos to know what the cost would be if I did need to go that route. As for the shop, I truely agree. This shop does top of the line stuff, but I get that feeling inside that it isn't the right shop. Not just because of the cost, just because this guy couldn't give me straight answers or prices specifically on my 300i "ZHP." Actually some of the quote was from prices on 328 or regular 330i stuff.

As far as the shop as well, another member on one of the message boards lives close to me & has done many BMW projects out of his garage. I know the concern again of responsibility after the install is something I will have to weigh vs. cost in labor at a shop. But I also know, ultimately, a person either at the shop or out of their own garage wtill physically installs the mods. So in one sense there is no difference because the manufacturers of the parts have their warantees as well.
__________________
08 E90 M3, JrzB/BB, 360 Forged 8 Mesh, H&R Springs, RPI Scoops, Eisenmann Sport Exh, VRS Lip, CF Decklid, CF Diffuser, OSS LED AE, Rear Headrest V1, '09 iDrive Controller, Euro Rear Fog, OEM BlackLine TL, MRTM Design E90 Pedals & Door Lock Studs
 

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms