Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-19-2013, 08:37 AM
rtally3

Send a message via AIM to rtally3
Mein Auto: 2007 328xi
Run Flats -- 2007 328xi Tires

All,

I know I could probably find an answer on this if I kept searching -- but I wasn't able to find anything that really answered my question and don't have much time to keep looking -- so apologies if this is a worn out topic!

I've had run flats so far, and today the BMW dealership told me I need to replace the rear tires immediately. Since the 2007 328xi doesn't have any place for a spare, they said "you HAVE to go with run flats", as I guess they're almost guaranteed to never go flat. Of course this requires alignment too, and the total cost for the 2 tires comes out to over $800.

Any opinions on this? I know I can get 4 new Yokohamas from Costco for under $700, so I'm having a really tough time paying over $800 for 2. I'm not sure if having run flats in the front and another type in the rear would be problematic, or if I wouldn't be utilizing the benefits of owning a BMW if I go with less expensive tires. I could use some guidance from those with more experience!

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
These subjects are covered in multiple threads, multiple times. But whatever.

You cannot (should not) mix RFT and go-flat tires at all. It's barely acceptable if you want to get through a couple days waiting for an order to come in.

You should not mix front-RFT and rear-go-flat.

You should always put the newest tires on the rear, otherwise risk hydro-planing (seems counter-intuitive, but go to tirerack and search their tech articles).

Tirerack.com shows 16 RFT 16" tires ranging from around $130-$190 per tire, and 42 17" RFT tires (also in same price range). Costco carries Bridgestone and Michelin, not sure about Continental (which would also be a good choice). Costco's price (which includes mounting/balancing) is usually within $10 +- to what tirerack + mount/balance costs.

Alignment is not required. Dealer is not required.
Old 06-19-2013, 11:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '13 F10 535i (loaner)
Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
These subjects are covered in multiple threads, multiple times. But whatever.

You cannot (should not) mix RFT and go-flat tires at all. It's barely acceptable if you want to get through a couple days waiting for an order to come in.

You should not mix front-RFT and rear-go-flat.

You should always put the newest tires on the rear, otherwise risk hydro-planing (seems counter-intuitive, but go to tirerack and search their tech articles).

Tirerack.com shows 16 RFT 16" tires ranging from around $130-$190 per tire, and 42 17" RFT tires (also in same price range). Costco carries Bridgestone and Michelin, not sure about Continental (which would also be a good choice). Costco's price (which includes mounting/balancing) is usually within $10 +- to what tirerack + mount/balance costs.

Alignment is not required. Dealer is not required.
E46 M3 6MT
E39 528i 5MT
MBz W140 S320
MBz W124 300E (slammed)
(unmentionables in between)
'71 AMC Javelin (4-Spd Stick on the floor)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 'cabrio' (1st car - "the leaker")
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Member: BMW CCA